Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor woes.... part deux... with PICS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Ok.. I went to the shop, and snapped a couple pics of the distributor.

Notice the LACK of any identifiable markings on it??

The white paint was done as a "marker" for where the little slot inside the dist cap SHOULD be.

The "standard" cap fits on there... and even runs (barely).. but the notches don't line up. The standard cap has the notch at the same point as the outside retainer clip... notice the slot on the cap SHOULD be at about the 10 o'clock position.

Anyway.... anyone know what kind of distributor this is?? Or more importantly, the correct cap for it??

I'm ready to send you $$$ for it today if you have one.

I'll log back in this afternoon after work... hopefully one of the 914 gurus out there can help.

Thanks everyone!
Mueller
it looks like there are part numbers on the rotor, what does it say??

not sure where you get "high performance" distributor from....the lack of a vac. canister does not mean squat with regards to that...

SirAndy
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Nov 16 2006, 10:50 AM) *

anyone know what kind of distributor this is??

looks like an 050 ...

the correct cap should be black, at least on the two i owned it was ...
smile.gif Andy
TravisNeff
agree.gif 050 dizzy
Cap'n Krusty
You need a Bosch "9 231 081 413" Cap, and it looks like you have the correct rotor. Anyone selling parts from Worldpac should be able to order it for you. List price is $13.75. I stock them. The Cap'n
Matt Romanowski
I don't know about the dist., but Willow Green ROCKS!!!
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 16 2006, 11:54 AM) *

You need a Bosch "9 231 081 413" Cap, and it looks like you have the correct rotor. Anyone selling parts from Worldpac should be able to order it for you. List price is $13.75. I stock them. The Cap'n

PMing you as we speak....
magaoidh
Why not just chuck the bloody thing and put the correct dizzy and cap on the car???
ninefourteener
QUOTE(magaoidh @ Nov 16 2006, 04:43 PM) *

Why not just chuck the bloody thing and put the correct dizzy and cap on the car???

That IS the correct dizzy......

When I bought a new cap and rotor... I discovered the new rotor didn't fit, but the new cap did (so I thought)... so I just installed the new cap, and left the original rotor on there.

Because the carbs were screwed up already... I just figured the reason it ran like shit was that I needed a pro to tune the carbs.

little did I know it was only 50% carbs, and 50% cap.

Fortunately, the 90 year old man that was doing my carbs for me is a PRO... I'd recommend him to anyone. He dialed in the carbs, and tweeked the timing for me... even with the incorrect cap... he's got my 914 running dreamy again.

Even he said that with the correct cap, it's going to run better. The only time I notice it is at high rpms... it misses a little. Under 4500rpms.... runs like my new cars.. perfect.

Thanks to the Cap'n.... I've got the correct cap on the way... which will get it where it should be.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!
Bleyseng
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Nov 17 2006, 05:40 AM) *

No, its not. It should be a Djet dizzy with mechanical/vacuum advance and the trigger points. All USA model 914's came with fuel injection and Djet cars including 72's had it. Ljet cars had a different dizzy than the Djet cars.

but whatever works on you engine good is fine. A Mallory would be a better choice for a carbed car.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 17 2006, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Nov 17 2006, 05:40 AM) *

No, its not. It should be a Djet dizzy with mechanical/vacuum advance and the trigger points. All USA model 914's came with fuel injection and Djet cars including 72's had it. Ljet cars had a different dizzy than the Djet cars.

but whatever works on you engine good is fine. A Mallory would be a better choice for a carbed car.

I meant that the dizzy was the correct one for my particular distributor... which I now know is a 050. The "correct" cap and rotor for my year/model..... is not correct for the dist I'm using.

Just out of curiosity.. I know the 050 is not original to my car.... but was the 050 ever OEM to any car??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.