Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Heater
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
Okay, now that I have new heat exchangers, why am I getting heat at my feet when the lower heater fan motor is off and the flapper valves by the exchangers is closed? It seems like I am getting some leak? from the flapper door as the cork gasket is worn out. The higher the motor RPM's are, the more heat leaks thru into the drivers side. Are the gaskets replaceable? Or maybe something else wrong? 2. In a 1974, should I have heat on both sides of the windshield with the red dash lever in the defrost position (to the right)? I only have heat on the drivers side of the windshield. Eddy
SGB
I need new gaskety things too, but I think theyare something with better heat endurance than cork. I haven't found a replacement yet...
Unless you have the splitter on the heater fan and the corresponding hose to distribute air to the passenger side, I don't think you will have forced flow there, just from the engine fan itself.
smooth_eddy
Unless you have the splitter on the heater fan and the corresponding hose to distribute air to the passenger side

Is this the one that is up inside the engine compartment? Yep, I dont have one as it it capped. Eddy
rhodyguy
check the action on the drivers side flapper valve eddy. with the interior lever pushed fully down, go under the car and make sure the control wire is not too tight and is not holding the valve partialy open. with the wire off and you manually open the valve, it should close on its own fairly tightly when released. the gasket is prob non-existant and the interior spring may be fouled too. if things are too hot and you can't fully shut the heat off, mix the heated air with a little cool air using the dash controls.

k
dflesburg
What the hell is a heater?
Spoke
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Nov 17 2006, 12:23 PM) *

What the hell is a heater?

Heat in a 914! Yeah right. chairfall.gif

Spoke
smooth_eddy
check the action on the drivers side flapper valve eddy. with the interior lever pushed fully down, go under the car and make sure the control wire is not too tight and is not holding the valve partialy open. with the wire off and you manually open the valve, it should close on its own fairly tightly when released. the gasket is prob non-existant and the interior spring may be fouled too. if things are too hot and you can't fully shut the heat off, mix the heated air with a little cool air using the dash controls.

Kevin.... I did pull the flapper valve off to examine it. The little spring inside looks fine (not sure what that is for though?) and the cork gasket is there but worn on one side. I disconnected the pull cable and the flapper door does completely close with the spring. The action with the heat cable works like it is supposed to when connected. I think there is just a little heat getting by the bad gasket. The deal is the new heat exchangers really blast hot air. I can't beleive how much heat I get now. And yes, I did deflect the heat up towards the windshield and mix fresh air from the front air blower. I see Pelican has the replacement flapper boxes for 80 bucks each. I am sure I will need to do this by next summer.
Eddy
SGB
surely something will make a good substitute for those sealing rings...
smooth_eddy
surely something will make a good substitute for those sealing rings...

agree.gif

But the problem is getting to it. You have to destroy the housing to access the gasket. Plus, the high temp thing. I do not know where to get something that will stand up to the heat? Surely someone has done this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.