Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel gauge needed (aftermarket)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I need to get a small round fuel gauge for my -6 (not stock dash mounting) and prefer VDO... is there illuminated, so I don't run out of gas at night or while driving through long tunnels smile.gif ? Seriously, I'd even like an idiot light if there make an aftermarket one. Anyone have any details? thanks.

Doug C
type47fan
Click to view attachmentHere's a 914/6 GT replica that works with the stock sending unit. It has the low fuel light, also, between the "R" and 1/4 mark. Case size is 60 mm, same as the gauges that fit in the center console. Available with a short or long pointer. The short pointer, shown, is in Martin Baker's GT clone. The long pointer version, in the console, is in my car. Prices have ranged from $150 to >$400 (ebay). North Hollywood Speedo makes theirs for about $250, at last check.

Other VDO fuel gauges are 52 mm, much less expensive and, as Dr. Evil will mention later, can be modified to work with the stock sending unit.

Good luck, and welcome.png
Dr Evil
Man I love those gauges!

FYI, the idiot light is a separate circuit so you could easily connect the leads to a separate dash light. This is my set up. Most VDO gauges have back lighting. For $60 North Hollywood Speedo will calibrate and sell you a 2 1/16" gauge. Its a good deal, IMHO.

Oh ya, welcome.png
Literati914
That's nice equiptment, very nice.. will the cheap 52mm ones work with the stock sending units (in tank pieces)? Or do I need to order a certain one.

Doug C
Literati914
Dr.Evil wrote:
the idiot light is a separate circuit so you could easily connect the leads to a separate dash light.

wouldn't have a short tutorial on that would you? I don't even have the electrical plug that fits on top of the tank, is it even necessary? So, I'm not sure which prongs (on top of the fuel level sender) goes to what..electrically.

DE also wrote:
For $60 North Hollywood Speedo will calibrate and sell you a 2 1/16" gauge.

Got more detail about this, that is a good price but what do you mean by calibrate? And that includes the unit right, not just the calibration?

Oh and thanks for the warm welcome guys but actually I'm returning after a year long break from this site. I used to post as 'Doug C" but gave up trying to figure out my password and just re-registered.

Doug C
Literati914
what's the Ohm range of the stock fuel sender?

Doug C

EDIT by McMark: I didn't want to bump this thread by replying. But for future search edification, the range is 3 ohms when the tank is full, and 68 ohms when empty. Measured from an open, cleaned and checked sender.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.