Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking Trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
I remember reading something about water entering the trunk of 914's through the rear brake light assembly and the body of the car.

I have new rubber and everything appears to be fine, with the exception that the driver side of the trunk always accumulates water when it rains or I wash the car.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks,

The Rookie thumb3d.gif
So.Cal.914
Thats like asking why is the sky blue. It can come in thru the tail lights thru the

gap where the trunk bulkhead seal and the main trunk seal meet thru the plastic

cups in the trunk. I swear it leaks right through the steel. It's one of those seal

everything and hope for the best IMHO.
SGB
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 16 2006, 10:52 PM) *

I swear it leaks right through the steel.

av-943.gif
GWN7
If it happens when it rains or you wash the car, I'd suspect the trunk seal is letting water run down and it's leaking in from there.

You can check how good the taillights are sealed by holding a strong light on the outside and look at the inside assembly to see if there is any gaps.
Howard
Two Words. Drain Holes. Let the water out and it won't rust.
Hammy
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 16 2006, 09:37 PM) *

The rust automatically made drain holes for me in mine smile.gif
sgomes
av-943.gif You beat me to it! I call them "speed holes" however beerchug.gif
jwalters
mad.gif Dude -you KNOW all the stuff I did to Sabbath - I STILL have that problem!!

I agree, it is permeating right through the steel! blink.gif

On another note - When you want to begin building that take-no-prisoners engine??? I have a turbo sitting on my shelf - Would like to do some prototyping on yours - We could both benefit, agree??

J

PS, starting my first day at work with the eff'n flu - Feel like warmed over ass right now, gotta be there in :45
Later Wish me luck getting through this day!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 16 2006, 09:37 PM) *

agree.gif Thank is what I did.
dmenche914
With trunk seals in good shape, then consider pulling up the bug perimeter seal, adn look at teh two corners, make sure teh metal lip is not bent down, if it is, it may not allow the seal to sit propper. The trunk can be adjusted to fit tight,a dn compress the seal all around, use the trunk / hinge bolts to center lid, and adjust the spring thingy ont eh latch to get it to press tight.

a bead of silcone, aroudn teh tail light lense housing, will help an old seal seal, you'll want to remnove the housing, \and clean both surfaces. als o th ehousing can have the lense seal leak,a dn if housing is cracked, will allow wter to enter trunk.

that pretty much cover everything.

good luck
2-OH!
Could be the lock seal or the lettering (914-2.0 or 914-1.7, etc..) on the back panel...But my experience is the tailight seals: body to housing and lens to housing...Particularly in the corners where it wraps around with the body shape...

2-OH!
Quebecer
The only way to know for sure is to get someone to lock you inside the trunk with a flash light while they put a water hose to the rear end of your car, you'll see where it comes in.

Just make sure they don't leave you in there!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.