Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of buying a '76 - In Kalifornia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
I found a clean '76 - in So. Kalifornia - still f.i.
Question is - If I buy it will I need to have it smoged every 2 years?
cuz that would sukhard w00t.gif
Thx -
anthony
Yup - every 2 years forever.
d7n7master
QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 16 2006, 08:05 PM) *

Yup - every 2 years forever.

screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif pain30.gif pain30.gif pain30.gif
---
Damn. barf.gif
(really clean car)
So.Cal.914
Keep looking, you don't need to smog a 75 or older but of course it is up

to you.
d7n7master
What a bummer- don't you think that smog laws from '77 on would have been a MUCH better choice??? mad.gif Piss's me off!! A fairly almost rust free KMA.gif - rust free kal car never to enjoy a suby conversion... ever.
shelby/914
Sounds like it needs to continue life in a non emission test state. Colorado only tests in certain areas and once a 25 yr old car passes it never has to be tested again unless sold.
anthony
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Nov 16 2006, 09:42 PM) *

Sounds like it needs to continue life in a non emission test state.

The other side of that is that a good running '76 should have no problem passing smog every two years. Unless you have plans to hot rod it the smog checks isn't more than a small annoyance.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Nov 16 2006, 08:47 PM) *

What a bummer- don't you think that smog laws from '77 on would have been a MUCH better choice??? mad.gif Piss's me off!! A fairly almost rust free KMA.gif - rust free kal car never to enjoy a suby conversion... ever.

Beats 1966 and up, duering my hotrod years and the first ten years I had the

914 I had to find blind smogmen to get a cert from.
Mueller
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Nov 16 2006, 08:47 PM) *

Sorry, you are wrong biggrin.gif

.....a '76 can enjoy a Subaru conversion and still pass smog....the Subaru motor must be the same year or newer than the chassis and you need to have all the smog stuff that the Subaru from whatever year has.

A pre-OBD II I think would be easier, but it can and has been done.

Depending on the year motor, a check engine light would have to be installed, a different gas tank (some get pressurized to check for leaks) and if the referee station is good, the port for the OBD must work.

d7n7master
So the short answer is chair.gif don't buy it.
johannes
Buy it, clean it, remove all the cat thing and send it to Europe ...
We pay good price here for Kalifornian rust free 914 ... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.