Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RANT: 'code enforcement' on the teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
so i am at home today. not at school.

my 914 is out on the street in front of myhouse.
low and behold, there is a pink paper stuck to its window.

oh yay.... has NOV 07 tags on the car... cant be registration....

it was for "NO PLATES"..... but the officer/parkingnazi wrote my plate number down! ROFL...

and i cant go to court. it is all automated and done by mail. i have to write a letter anbd show them proof and pictures.....

they wrote my friend a ticket for blocking his OWN driveway while loading his dirtbikes LOL

i hate people.

AA
URY914
Good thing they didn't tazer you. You know you wise-ass students always running foul of the law. biggrin.gif
Howard
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 17 2006, 10:28 AM) *

i hate people.

AA

I don't, I just find I'm happier when they're not around. blink.gif
Aaron Cox
i aint scared.. but i also tend to respect thoese people with tazers/weapons LOL

i can see getting tazed once... wise up dumbass... but no he asked for another 2 LOL

btw, my CDI/COIL combo is 60,000 volts. twystd1 saw me catch that one into my arm... ZAP
URY914
I saw the video on youtube. You know when a cop asks you to do something it is really best to shutthefuckup and do it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 17 2006, 10:28 AM) *

it was for "NO PLATES"..... but the officer/parkingnazi wrote my plate number down! ROFL...

you got both plates? CA requires front/back. that was a $120 ticket some 5 years ago, dunno how much they are these days ...
dry.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
andy is semi on the ball....

it says "no plates" on the ticket, i went and looked it up.. online at the dmv...

its for my plate bing in the backwindow LOL
"no blah blah blah to obstruct the remote emission sensing device...."

my window obstructs camera views i guess LOL

and nope.. no front plates. but it is a 25 buck ticket
Trekkor
Do you run without a front plate? Like some of us do... ph34r.gif

KT
Trekkor
$120 ohmy.gif

I thought it was just a "fix-it".

KT
Joe Bob
If you have the time....fight it drag the dickhead in and trash his ass in front of the judge. Good for a laugh....I do it all the time, or used to when I got parking tickets....
nebreitling
don't even get me started on stuff like this, aaron.

you'll recall my numerous run-ins with the rent-a-cop university-sanctioned stalker who had a hardon for me.
Aaron Cox
i have to mail in my proof and write a letter...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 17 2006, 10:49 AM) *

at least this way, you won't taste the taser ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Trekkor
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 17 2006, 10:56 AM) *

at least this way, you won't taste the taser ...
biggrin.gif Andy

...or smell the glove... unsure.gif

Dr. Roger

mail it in????

i got the same ticket when i welded up a new rear bumper on my last 4X4.

my plate was duct taped to the rear window.

got pulled down by berkeley's finest and received the ticket.

the cop wa actually very informative.

i was probably the first guy he spoke to that day who was not defensive or a punk. (no offense andy....) LOL

he said all i have to do is permanently affix the plate to my new bumper and stop any berkeley cop to sign my ticket off. then drop the ticket by the court house.

i tapped out 4 nice holes and bolted my plate to the bumper.

the cop who signed my ticket asked where my plate lighting was and I shrugged my shoulders.

he said, "your ticket was for not being properly affixed. not, missing a light. and he signed it. =-)

don't ask if i ever did install a light on it. young rebel syndrome.

it pays to be nice to these guys regardless of the situation.
So.Cal.914
When I was a kid they didn't taze you they just KICKED YOUR ASS, long hair is

over rated.

I thought it says that you need to have your plate displayed clearly to the rear

of the vehicle, yours looks clear to me.
sj914
Was it on the outside of the window or on the inside? I seem to recall that plates can't be covered and if it was behind the window it most likely was being covered even though your window might be clear.
Sammy
I offer the following with all due respect. Please don't take this as critisism or a slam but I think it needs to be said:

You don't have a plate on the front bumper, but you know that is illegal.
Your rear plate is not on the bumper, it is in the rear window which you know is also illegal.

Are you pissed that you got caught, or that the officer is a bad guy because he is doing his job, or pissed because you don't agree with the law?

I don't get parking tickets because I don't park illegally. I don't get tickets for not having a front plate because I have one, right there in the middle of the bumper.
I don't get tickets for having a loud exhaust because I don't have a loud exhaust.

If i did any of those things and got a ticket for it I would just pay the fine because it was my fault, not the cops.
Fighting it even though I know i deserved it would be a tad on the ...... well you all know where I'm going with this.

Now if I was 100% in compliance with the law and was cited for something I absolutely did not do, I would fight it all the way.
Aaron Cox
sammy, i agree with you to some extent.

no front plate - illegal yes.
i guess i am 'upset' that it was such a minor detail, and in front of my home. i disagree with the fact that my license plate was obstructed by my clear window.

but you are in fact correct, that i was not in compliance.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 17 2006, 11:36 AM) *

well you all know where I'm going with this.

agree.gif (twice in a month! wacko.gif ) ...

i was surprised about my $120 ticket simply because i didn't know it was the law to have a front plate in CA.
i saw so many cars on the road without them that it never occured to me that this might be illegal.

now i know and i have had a front plate ever since. easy fix ...
smile.gif Andy
anthony
I drove for 10 years without being hassled about the front plate and then finally got a ticket. Now, I have the front plate on all my cars. It's not worth the hassel to look cool.
Trekkor
I know here in the Bay Area "they" take pictures of you.
For example, say you blast through the BayBridge toll plaza without paying or in my case, the FasTrak transponder doesn't trip.

"They" ID you by your plate. If the plate isn't on the bumper, they may not "see" you because of where the camera is aimed confused24.gif

Also for red light runner cams. front and rear views needed?

I may be wrong.

KT
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 17 2006, 01:36 PM) *

I offer the following with all due respect. Please don't take this as critisism or a slam but I think it needs to be said:

You don't have a plate on the front bumper, but you know that is illegal.
Your rear plate is not on the bumper, it is in the rear window which you know is also illegal.

Are you pissed that you got caught, or that the officer is a bad guy because he is doing his job, or pissed because you don't agree with the law?

I don't get parking tickets because I don't park illegally. I don't get tickets for not having a front plate because I have one, right there in the middle of the bumper.
I don't get tickets for having a loud exhaust because I don't have a loud exhaust.

If i did any of those things and got a ticket for it I would just pay the fine because it was my fault, not the cops.
Fighting it even though I know i deserved it would be a tad on the ...... well you all know where I'm going with this.

Now if I was 100% in compliance with the law and was cited for something I absolutely did not do, I would fight it all the way.

I would agree with you 99% of the time. But there is that 1% where the cop is just being a dick.... Like the cop who gave me a ticket for no state inspection sticker, even though I was drving to the inspections station. My question to him was "How do I get it to the inspection station to get an inspection?". His answer was "You should never let it expire". I told him that the car had been off the road for 5 years getting rebuilt, but he was just in a bad mood.

I took it to court, with the inspection report with a time stamp of 20 minutes after the ticket was written. The judge looked at the registration info that showed it was registered 1 month before the inspection for the first time in 5 years, and the inspection report, and told the cop to use a little discretion in cases like this.

Then the judge spent 20 minutes asking about my 914. He owns a 74 911S. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 17 2006, 10:44 AM) *

andy is semi on the ball....

it says "no plates" on the ticket, i went and looked it up.. online at the dmv...

its for my plate bing in the backwindow LOL
"no blah blah blah to obstruct the remote emission sensing device...."

my window obstructs camera views i guess LOL

and nope.. no front plates. but it is a 25 buck ticket

If you look at the code, it says the rear plate has to be fastened securely to the car, be on or very near the centerline, and cannot be covered by anything other than a frame. It also has to be clearly visible from directly behind the vehicle. The front plate must also be securely fastened to the car and may have nothing covering it.
The Cap'n
URY914
You know here in America we have laws and rules (health and building codes, etc) that society is required to live by. Then we have the people that enforce the laws and rules. The laws and rules are sometimes stupid and the people that enforce them are sometimes assholes. flag.gif Don't ya just love it.

You should have just told him your car doesn't really look too good with a front plate.
smj
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 17 2006, 12:02 PM) *

Then the judge spent 20 minutes asking about my 914. He owns a 74 911S. biggrin.gif

See, it's not always who you know... cool_shades.gif
Crazyhippy
"has to be fastened securely to the car, be on or very near the centerline, and cannot be covered by anything other than a frame. It also has to be clearly visible from directly behind the vehicle."

Mount it to the transaxle, and cut a hole int the back the EXACT same size as the plate, directly behind it. Legal, to a "T" yet completely un-readable biggrin.gif

Could always mount it where They mounted them from the factory???

BJH
anthony
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 17 2006, 12:47 PM) *

You know here in America we have laws and rules (health and building codes, etc) that society is required to live by. Then we have the people that enforce the laws and rules. The laws and rules are sometimes stupid and the people that enforce them are sometimes assholes. flag.gif Don't ya just love it.

The other side of the equation are some of the types that are attracted to being enforcers of the law. I'm not saying it's all cops but some obviously get a certain amount of glee from giving people a hard time over minor crap.

IMO, they shouldn't even be able to pull someone over for expired registration. It should be a parking ticket only. How does harrassing people with expired tags benefit society? DMV is already getting these folks with fines and penalties.
Joe Bob
Tags pay the salary of the State Police.....it's a revenue thing....
Brett W
Somebody please tell me what makes CA such a great place to live. All I see are way to many laws and PC people?

Don't tell me the weather, cuz it ain't nice enough to offset the Nazis.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 18 2006, 12:15 AM) *

Somebody please tell me what makes CA such a great place to live.
Don't tell me the weather, cuz it ain't nice enough to offset the Nazis.

I live in ORYGUN cuz of da rain slap.gif

I look at the rules as sort of a game. Play the (their) game & don't get a ticket. Break the rules & (get caught) , well, there's the game.

Don't pass Go ......... beer3.gif

.......b
Howard
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Nov 18 2006, 06:49 AM) *

I look at the rules as sort of a game. Play the (their) game & don't get a ticket. Break the rules & (get caught) , well, there's the game.

Don't pass Go ......... beer3.gif

.......b

agree.gif

Think Stealth. No plate, super tinted windows, rude stickers, loud exhaust or stereo all invite the man to pick you out of the herd.

That doesn't excuse the attitude of some people who feel compelled to exercise their minor authority, but that's another subject. biggrin.gif
I live near LAX, They have car's pulled over in droves and its always for no frt plate.I just got a new bmw m3.One day i will have to install the frt lic plate mount and plate.It will be a sad day it will change the whole look of thr car.Remember its not like the old days,Big brother is watching you,Stay away from LAX if you dont have Frt plates......
JPB
Money makes the world go around and we can do without people but can't do without friends biggrin.gif

With all the offenses I make off the top of my head like speeding and such......, I can see how it all averages out in the end when I come to think about it. I know with a small ticket like that, I'm getting off easy. smile.gif
chilli
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 17 2006, 12:52 PM) *

I know here in the Bay Area "they" take pictures of you.
For example, say you blast through the BayBridge toll plaza without paying or in my case, the FasTrak transponder doesn't trip.

"They" ID you by your plate. If the plate isn't on the bumper, they may not "see" you because of where the camera is aimed confused24.gif

Also for red light runner cams. front and rear views needed?

I may be wrong.

KT

Back bumper picture at the toll plaza, Got a notice as the transponder did not get recognized. Sent in transpoder infor and notice went away. Sent transponder back and got a new one. No more notices.

No front plate on the boxster looks like CR--

mike driving.gif
chilli
[quote name='anthony' date='Nov 17 2006, 08:16 PM' post='818702']
[quote name='URY914' post='818413' date='Nov 17 2006, 12:47 PM']

IMO, they shouldn't even be able to pull someone over for expired registration. It should be a parking ticket only. How does harrassing people with expired tags benefit society? DMV is already getting these folks with fines and penalties.
[/quote]

Thats because they are usually driving around without insurance ETC ETC. What ever happened to personal responsibility?????

mike
ConeDodger
And now for the #1 reason that "government" is the best business to be in...

This is on the topic and a true story.

A few years ago I thought I would save the cost of a stamp and send the registration for two of my vehicles in with one check in the same envelope. Big mistake. Since I have up to five different vehicles at any given time I did not notice that the tabs for one of them did not come.

Now for the next chapter, driving back from Sonoma Valley after helping harvest wine grapes (site of WCC 07) I was pulled over by a CHP officer in Yolo county. He was polite. I was respectful and genuinely shocked that indeed, I did not have current registration displayed. He liked my dog (golden retriever) and my girlfriends cleavage which he stared at without much shame and given this mitigation he gave me a fix-it ticket. I guess he could have towed the truck and shot us on sight. I was wondering how this could happen since my system of getting-a-bill - paying-the-bill has worked flawlessly in the past.

The following Monday I scoot right down to my secret-squirrel DMV location, secret only because I seldom have to wait more than 5 minutes and I find that indeed, my registration was not paid. I pay it, get my ticket signed off by my neighbor and friend who is an El Dorado Deputy, and wait for instruction from Yolo County which I figure will involve a court date. Instead, I get a letter instructing me that I need only send the proof in with a $10 check to cleanse myself of this offense to society.

Now one would think that the story ends here and that I had learned my lesson. But a curious thing happened. I got a rather large check in the mail from DMV. What could this be for? Turns out it is a refund because I sent in too much money for my Boxster. Two gets added to two and I realize I have just been "served" by my government. I had discounted the fact that some of our actors are government employees who aren't really concerned with actually doing their job. So at this point I go about life comfortable in the feeling that I am once again law-abiding... But no!

Apparently someone could not be bothered to indicate that I had done my part by getting the registration current and having the ticket signed off. To their credit they did their job as far as depositing my check and cashing it though.
So in our next chapter I get a "Courtesy Notice" that says I now owe $1490.00 for no registration and failure to appear at a court hearing that was never scheduled. (I told you the government business was good, where else can a $10 fee become $1490?).

In our last chapter, I pay my bank $50.00 to research all checks written to Yolo County and DMV so that I can prove that I did my part. I pay another $40 or $50 to Yolo County for "fees" (I am going to try that. I will call in sick and then charge my employer a calling in sick fee and a I don't want to work today fee) plus have to take a day off of work and drive to Woodland for a court date I had to demand. About an 80 mile round-trip from my home.

Like any good story this one has a lesson. Don't get involved with these people, they are neither intelligent or efficient and they will win or tazer you which technically counts as a win for their team I suppose.

Aaron, pay them. Do it in person and when you do beg them to do their job this one time. Throw yourself at their mercy. Offer them more than they are asking for since in the end you will probably have to give them more anyway.
These people are clearly superior to the rest of us. They only need to work 20 years and then get a pension paid by the rest of us. Meanwhile the rest of us have to save for our retirement.

If my little tale offends you, you are probably a government worker. Do your job. That is so little to ask and yet so out of reach. If I don't do my job correctly someone could die. Perhaps they need that kind of consequence to up their attention span...
anthony
QUOTE(chilli @ Nov 18 2006, 09:35 AM) *

Thats because they are usually driving around without insurance ETC ETC. What ever happened to personal responsibility?????

mike

You are "profiling". You are assuming that if someone's DMV tags are out of date that they have committed some other criminal act.

My guess would be that the majority of those running around without insurance have current dmv registration so targeting those with out of date registration doesn't solve that problem. That problem could be solved in a number of ways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.