Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT Sony ps3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschecb
WTF.gif Whats this world coming to! Went to Ebay and could not belive what I was seeing.
TonyAKAVW
I went to look at some 4x6 speakers for the 914 last night at the local Best buy. There's also a Circuit City at the same mall... Circuit City robably had a line of 100 people, Best buy had 4-5 tents and probably 40-50 people in line.

-Tony
nyum96
$4750 today, auction closed. THEN the $60 shipping. Thats the kicker. I'll wait a couple months. Maybe a year or 2 or after I buy the 916.
MoveQik
Can you imagine what it would have been like if eBay was around during the Cabbage Patch Kid craze?? blink.gif
jhadler
Just saw another one go for over $5k!!!!!!

Good grief! It's just a freakin' game box! Okay, a pretty slick one at that, but geez!! And in less than a year you won't be able to swing a cat near an electronics store without knocking over a stack of them!

Still... kudos to the folks that camped out in line overnight, toughing out the cold, braving the muggers (yes, it really happened), getting shot at (yes, multiple incidents), getting trampled by mobs bum rushing the store (yup, that happened too), and were able to make it worth while by selling off their hard won prize for big bucks.

-Josh2
biosurfer1
i'm not into gaming at all, and i was honestly thinking they would go for ~$1500 on ebay, hardly worth the effort, but to make almost $4000 in one week for standing out in the cold, I would have done it now...thats a f-ing engine!
tat2dphreak
F the price, how is it worth dying for? at least 1 person has already been shot for a ps3...
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hell I haven't figured out PAC MAN yet. So $5,000.00 or $50,000.000
I will be long dead before my skills reached that level.

Dave slap.gif
jhadler
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 17 2006, 02:55 PM) *

I helped a company bring in one last week from Japan so they could tear it apart to determine components used. Even in Japan you had to have tickets to buy these things. ...Crazy!

So what you're saying is that this company is reverse engineering a PS3 before it's officially release to the US market... A little <ahem> creative product development????

-Josh2
tat2dphreak
get a solderless mod-chip for the ps3 and I might think about it...

the solderpoints for the ps2 were too small... so I have an xbox...
jhadler
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 17 2006, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(jhadler @ Nov 17 2006, 03:48 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 17 2006, 02:55 PM) *

I helped a company bring in one last week from Japan so they could tear it apart to determine components used. Even in Japan you had to have tickets to buy these things. ...Crazy!

So what you're saying is that this company is reverse engineering a PS3 before it's officially release to the US market... A little <ahem> creative product development????

-Josh2

No its an electronic component market research company that I helped startup back in 2000. Tear down analysis to determine component content to understand which suppliers are being used. Then information can be used to determine potential impacts to suppliers, markets, component costs, etc. We did the same thing with iPod and other high volume consumer electronics. Here are results:
http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919

Hmm... Pretty good idea. A nice component breakdown. But do you really think a company like Sony is paying out that much for the component level hardware? I really doubt they'd go to market taking that much of a loss (over 50% on the smaller, 20 GB version) on the console unless they were banking on making that money back with games (thier own, or those they own the rights to) and expansion components. I don't know the numbers on games and the like, but I'd imagine the margin is massive.

-Josh2
jimtab
In my opinion anyone who pays a premium for, or waits in line for, or risks injury for a fucking game box that they're gonna make plenty of soon....is a moron...just my .02
Blargh
I had a friend who wanted me to wait out in front of Best Buy to buy one of those... Said he'd pay me $50, it sounded like a rip off at the time (because you couldn't pay me to stand in lines, I hate them) but now that the PS3 is selling for 5K... I hate that guy now...
chilli
What is the list price for one of these?? Did a quick search and could not find it.

mike
porschecb
List is $600.00 for top of line unit.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(porschecb @ Nov 18 2006, 10:20 AM) *

List is $600.00 for top of line unit.

and actually, that isn't a bad price, if that's what you pay... not because it's a cool gaming system... because blu-ray players(like the one it has built in) cost about a grand... so you get a blu-ray player cheap and they throw in a gaming system wink.gif
bd1308
It still probably only costs like 250 in parts to build them
cnavarro
Actually, they loose something like $250 a unit. Microsoft looses around $75 an x-box. They make money in the games (I would suppose).

I was shipping cylinders at the post office this morning and there was someone shipping their Playstation 3 sold on ebay for $1500. The local target for our small community had tents out on Wed. Best Buy across the street had campers on thursday that went clear around the building.

I'll stick to my NOS Atari 2600 I purchased a few years ago on ebay for a cool $100. At least I have all my favorite games - real ones that build hand eye coordination and you actually have to master :-)
smontanaro
According to a CNET story yesterday afternoon, a PS3 went for $9k:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9663659-1...08&ubj=news

Here's the eBay auction in question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation-3-PS3...1QQcmdZViewItem

It may well be a joke or bid fraud, but who knows?

Skip
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.