Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: African Watering Hole Webcam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Qarl
http://live.wildlife.wavelit.net/451OK

Kinda cool. There is some loud wildlife there!

They are 7+ hours ahead.

I've seen a huge heard of water buffalo, zebras, baboons, gazelle, some other hoofed animal, lions, birds, geese...

Sometimes... not much...

At night it's infrared.

Pretty cool!

Apparently something flew into the camera... stay tuned!
LvSteveH
The sound is kind of peaceful, but you're right, quite loud. Every once in a while I'll hear a crunch crunch but still haven't seen much.
JPB
Thats gonna be on all day!! Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif
race914
Been checking it out occasionally and it looks like something happened. You can't see the water hole & trees in the background anymore and there is "something" making a pretty good 'chomping' sound!

Cool site! Thanks for sharing
Kerrys914
popcorn[1].gif froggy.gif locust.gif locust.gif locust.gif locust.gif very_first_smiley[1].gif
Hammy
The grass is growing!!!

Just kidding.

Pretty cool actually.
Qarl
It's back up! Not a lot of action (except for the noisy birds!)

iamchappy
I've visited this site a dozen times, at all times of the day and I just now saw a bug..
LvSteveH
I have to admit, after having it open while working on the computer since the link was posted I was starting to think it was a cruel joke. Well, I've finally seen a duck, a frog, a bird, an antelope of some sort, and finally, last night, a couple water buffalo.

It's certainly not something you would want to sit and watch on a regular basis. The best part is if you have the sound on for a while, then shut it off, you realize how unbelievably loud it is and you just get used to it.
iamchappy
I finally saw a turtle and some geese...
biosurfer1
i have watched for a while several times and havent seen a damn thing, but i know they are there because of the sound...

until i see a tiger attack a cheetah or something, the sound is the only good part:)

since the video isnt that great, i keep staring at rocks convinced its moving...lol
jsteele22

Wow, that is pretty cool. I had to install new software to watch it (MPLayer, for Linux) but it was worth it. It's oddly compelling to sit and watch nothing happen. The audio makes all the difference.

A couple of years ago, someone posted a way to use Google to locate installations of a certain brand of security camera that were installed without password protection. Mostly boring, but there was a cool one showing flooding in CA, a student computer center in Finalnd, and a petstore on the East Coast where two young girls were playing with a puppy. All in all, I'd say the watering hole idea wins. It'd be cool to have a "snapshot button" that people could use to make a gallery of stuff they've seen there.
Joseph Mills
I'm seeing birds (or insects), fly by and what looks like shooting stars, but that doesn't seem probable.

Anyone besides me hear human "voices" in the background?

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

Is this a joke? biggrin.gif

Brad Roberts
Just imagine if we actually did a live web cam in a garage..LOL

B
Brad Roberts
Funny! I just saw the shooting stars also!! Imagine that!!

B
BK911
My audible email notification is "gigadee gigadee gig-a-dee." I had the watering hole screen up. I got an email and my first thought was, "WTF is Quagmire doing in Africa?"
JPB
Ya, ya. With Swedish chics wwwwwwwaxing the car in skimpy little nothing outfits and occasional tear it all of wet spong fight!! thumb3d.gif

beer.gif Who wants ta make a dolla?
iamchappy
It is sunrise right now at the abandoned water hole.
jsteele22

Cool, just saw a giraffe. First time I've been up for sunrise in a looong time...
Qarl
Strangely, there hasn't been a lot of activity... it rained a lot the other day and perhaps there is water elsewhere.

I have seen zebra, gnu, water buffallo, baboons, ducks, and a lion.

bondo
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 19 2006, 05:05 PM) *

I've visited this site a dozen times, at all times of the day and I just now saw a bug..

Me too!

grantsfo
Someone needs to do this with a 914 jack stand project. We likely see just as much action.
SirAndy
wohoo, that was trippy .. ohmy.gif

looks like the camera is remote-controlled!
i just checked and all of the sudden, the thing moves. zooms in on the waterhole, pans around, zooms in on some animal tracks, zooms back out, does a full 180 deg. panorama, then goes back to center on the waterhole.

looks like someone got the joystick for this thing ...

btw. you can see the shadow of the camera right now, must be either early morning or late in the day, long shadows ...

piratenanner.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
They have it zoomed in on some Giraffe!!

They are panning around!

B
SirAndy
he's doing it again! this time almost a full 360 ... smilie_pokal.gif

the camera is mounted to a tree or stump, got a solar panel and a little satelite dish!

look at these screenshots ...
smile.gif Andy

kconway
Holy shit...Giraffe sex.

Kool!
Brad Roberts
I think it is a pre-recorded. Why would they name it: DVD ??

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(kconway @ Nov 20 2006, 08:21 PM) *

Holy shit...Giraffe sex.

and lots of it! biggrin.gif

mrhurtalot
thers like a family of girraffes now awesome!
Qarl
It's not pre-recorded...

Yes... Giraffes... humping...

boldblue.gif
kconway
I could have sworn I saw some dude ride into frame on horseback, who ever is working the cam quickly moved it so you couldn't see him...somethings fishy. Probably all going on on some Hollywood backlot...just like the apollo missions. biggrin.gif
Qarl
Other sightings...

SirAndy
the buffalos (sp?) are moving in ...

Elliot_Cannon
This whole thing is a hoax. The camera is actually located in the desert outside Barstow California.

Elliot
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 20 2006, 08:55 PM) *

This whole thing is a hoax. The camera is actually located in the desert outside Barstow California.

i don't know man, they have foot-long centipedes (sp?) in barstow?

because they just zoomed in on one of those puppies ...
ohmy.gif Andy
SirAndy
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
icon8.gif

Brad Roberts
Qarl actually has control of the camera!!

B
Lou W
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 20 2006, 11:23 PM) *

B

I think it's Miles

There's something with horns moving around right now
SirAndy
damm, this place is busy!

but where are the lions? confused24.gif

Brad Roberts
Its a wild life preserve.. of course it is going to be busy!! They are all protected. I doubt you are going to see any lions unless they control access somehow.

B
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2006, 09:04 PM) *

ohmy.gif Andy

I can tell you've never been to Barstow. It's just like Riverside but with less people.
Elliot
TINCAN914
Whoever is in control of the camera, has a strange fetish for animal sex. Turtles are goin at it now.. I would think as slow as they move, they could go for an hour before reaching, umm. Well you know. Not true.. I had to laugh when he got off and went to the frig for some cold pizza and the remote.. biggrin.gif
Qarl
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 20 2006, 11:23 PM) *

B

I think it's Miles

There's something with horns moving around right now

Caught red handed.... April Fools!

BK911
Hey Karl, I briefly checked out your site and it looks like you have a pretty nice set up there. Where in Orlando are you? I am in Casselberry. I'd like to come check out your car one weekend, if I am ever in town again. I've been debating over a -6 conversion. Maybe your car will convince me?

Brian
sherman1
Cool site!!

Not much activity, but just saw one Big-Ass bug fly by...real slow, just cruising around.
JohnM
I keep it running when I am on the computer and have only seen a duck and the black bird. I show my kid the site and while I'm turned away he sees a giraffe go by!!!

Hey- somebody should hack bigfoot walking through the brush and trees in back there.
jsteele22

Okay, so I saw birds, giraffes, jumping fish, water buffalo (?). But I think they've got a new person running the controls. The camera panned around in a new direction (about 120 degrees CCW from the water hole), and there's a luxury (for Africa) lodge, parking lot full of cars, electric lights. I saw a person walk across the deck. That took a little of the magic out of it, but its still a cool site.
Flat VW
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 20 2006, 10:35 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2006, 09:04 PM) *

ohmy.gif Andy

I can tell you've never been to Barstow. It's just like Riverside but with less people.
Elliot

w00t.gif

John
LvSteveH
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Nov 22 2006, 08:39 AM) *

The camera panned around in a new direction (about 120 degrees CCW from the water hole), and there's a luxury (for Africa) lodge, parking lot full of cars, electric lights. I saw a person walk across the deck. That took a little of the magic out of it, but its still a cool site.

Now you're going to tell me there's no Santa Claus dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.