Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Very Positive Vendor Experience
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
One of the issues I have been dealing with since putting the 2056 on the street in September is an aburpt, lurching loss of power - as if the gas was suddenly cut off. My mechanic decided the problem was with the throttle value switch and suggested I acquire a new one. You guessed it - NLA from the usual sources. A member here suggested that I contact Otto's of Venice, so I called them and "Otto" answered the phone (I understand that is not his real name, but it sure works for me). I told him what I needed and he said, yeah I have those, I will ship you one today and send me a check when you get it. The price was $125 (AA has them for $150 - Otto says he sold them to George). I offered him my credit card and he said just send me a check. This was Monday. The part arrived UPS to my door today, NOS in the box - perfect - with a handwritten note: "send a check" Mind you, I have never, ever done business with Otto before. I was quite frankly blown away and wanted to share this very positive experience with the board. Otto is the man in my book. thumb3d.gif Old School is my speed. YMMV
GeorgeRud
Years ago, when I first started my conversion project, I had the same experience with "Otto". Not only did he have what I needed, his advice and business practices were unbelievably good. He'd ship the parts, let you look them over, and send him a check afterwards. Seldom to you encounter that today, it's very refreshing to know these people still exist.

When my family was in California visiting, we stopped by his shop in Venice Beach, and again he was nice enough to give me the shop tour (not a very big shop, so not too long), and show some of the neat stuff he had in the shop.

If you ever need parts or advice, he is one of the Good Guys. Four star rating in my book.
Krieger
agree.gif I have been doing business with "Otto" for 12 years. He has built three transmissions and sold me a carload of parts over the years. I have used two of the trannies for years without any problems, the third is going in my six project. He does what he says hes gonna do and charges a fair price.
914Sixer
I have bought from Otto's since the early 90's. Never a problem and excellent service. A credit to the industry and a good guy to deal with.
pete-stevers
what type of parts and services does he provide?
Krieger
He can do anything you need to a teener, or get it or make it. He is a racer and I think a factory trained mechanic from way back. KMA.gif
Krieger
Oops check out his website ottosvenice.com
d7n7master
Years ago when my '73 was having temper tantrums it would run strong
and then not want to idle and sometimes stall. Sometimes it would start right back up
other times I had it towed home. The last time I had it towed - I had it towed to Otto's. Otto's called me & said that the relay board had a crack and that it took them all day to find the problem. He replaced the relay board for a reasonable $ - & didn't try to sell me anything else...
Qball
Otto's the man, been a happy customer many times over.
jimtab
"Otto's" name is John Williamson, I went to HS with him in Milpitas, CA. He was a decent guy then and apparently a decent guy now. He and his dad were into Porsches then, I think his dad had the 2nd or 3rd 911 in the country. John had a 356 with a beast engine...carrera 4 cam I think. I saw him again at the Willow Springs portion of the wcc05 and we had a few minutes to catch up. He was one class ahead of me so we weren't close but he treated everyone well....even underclass guys who drove a vw bus/
oemexp
Otto told me he worked for a Porsche dealership in Mountain View or Sunnyvale (I only remember he said it was by Moffet field. He was trained by Porsche to be a car recieving inspector for the west coast specifically checking 914's. He later did concour restorations of sixes with the knowledge he had gained doing that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.