Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front & Rear Bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Pat Garvey
OK - new nailed area.

There were quite a few variations in 914 bumpers through the years.

Think about it - special early rear chrome bumper (was this available in painted form?), chrome or painted, front/ rear tits (pardon), rubber. What about the fog/no-fog combinations?

Show yours here
1970 Neun vierzehn
Here is an original, concours 914 front end. This would be an "appearance pkg" chrome bumper w/fog lights, circa 1970/71/72. Car belongs to our moderator, Pat Garvey.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Depicted here is an original, early rear bumper on an early '70/4. For reference, the "indent" for the license area is very sharp and angular compared to the more curved transition for later rear bumpers.
Scott H
I'm kinda new here so I'm not sure if it's okay to ask questions like this over in this forum, so feel free to remove this post if it's not appropriate ... plus, the pictures are of a nasty car and I don't want to detract from the concours cars ...

The picture below is my '72. The front chrome bumper has a pair of holes on each side, just inboard of the foglights.
I'm assuming these are the mounting holes for the "tits" but it appears that none have ever be mounted there.
Would that be correct for a '72? Were the tits an option in '72 or is it a later bumper on my car?

Thanks.

IPB Image

Rear chrome bumper:
IPB Image
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Scott H @ Nov 19 2006, 02:33 AM) *

I'm kinda new here so I'm not sure if it's okay to ask questions like this over in this forum, so feel free to remove this post if it's not appropriate ... plus, the pictures are of a nasty car and I don't want to detract from the concours cars ...

The picture below is my '72. The front chrome bumper has a pair of holes on each side, just inboard of the foglights.
I'm assuming these are the mounting holes for the "tits" but it appears that none have ever be mounted there.
Would that be correct for a '72? Were the tits an option in '72 or is it a later bumper on my car?

Thanks.

IPB Image

Rear chrome bumper:
IPB Image

Scott,

You have a '73 or '74 bumper on your 914 (front). Front "tits" appeared first on '73, rears in '74.

And, don't worry about posting. This forum is supposed to be the place to ask questions like yours. Are you planning a restoration?
Pat Garvey
Does someone have a close up photo of the diff's between the very early & not so early rear bumpers?

What about the bumpers from '73...'74...'75 &'76? What, no one wants to play? We need the info!

Post!
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 26 2006, 05:32 PM) *

Does someone have a close up photo of the diff's between the very early & not so early rear bumpers?

What about the bumpers from '73...'74...'75 &'76? What, no one wants to play? We need the info!

Post!

Hey Pat good to be back in Concour 'Geek' land..
Hey when my new factory OEM front bumper assy.... comes down , I will shoot a pic of that..As it was early 80's produced..And they had a 'chrome' color variation
on it.....>not as shiny<....70 to 74 were all the mirrored bright chrome from factory....
But back in 96 ...
Could NOT pass up an OEM NLA NEW 73 front bumper for my car that is
purrrrrrfect!!!!!!!!!!
ANY ONE else have a later produced bumper that they purchased
with my same scenario?? confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Dec 27 2006, 12:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 26 2006, 05:32 PM) *

Post!

Hey Pat good to be back in Concour 'Geek' land..
Hey when my new factory OEM front bumper assy.... comes down , I will shoot a pic of that..As it was early 80's produced..And they had a 'chrome' color variation
on it.....>not as shiny<....70 to 74 were all the mirrored bright chrome from factory....
But back in 96 ...
Could NOT pass up an OEM NLA NEW 73 front bumper for my car that is
purrrrrrfect!!!!!!!!!!
ANY ONE else have a later produced bumper that they purchased
with my same scenario?? confused24.gif

Anxious to see the pics! I replaced my front bumper w/a factory new one in the late 70's (don't ask why - embarassing) but the chrome was identical to the original.
type4org
Here's some 1976 model year bumpers. Some of these pictures were taken with a flash, on those a lot of detail is lost because the bumper looks pitch black:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 12 2007, 08:21 AM) *

Here's some 1976 model year bumpers. Some of these pictures were taken with a flash, on those a lot of detail is lost because the bumper looks pitch black:

Jens

Thanks!!!!!!

About time we got the rubber bumpers included - nice ones too!
Bleyseng
Did all 76 cars have the rubber "tits"? confused24.gif Mine did but I tossed my rubber bumpers.....
type4org
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 20 2007, 11:38 AM) *

Did all 76 cars have the rubber "tits"? confused24.gif Mine did but I tossed my rubber bumpers.....

According to Johnson all cars sold in CA and MD had them, but he also states "Some cars from other states, especially 1976 models, also have them".

I know mine was sold in CA.

Porsche Rescue
My '76, sold new in Texas, has no "tits".
TJB/914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 20 2007, 08:38 AM) *

Rubber tits were an option that you paid extra for on 75 & 76's..

T
TJB/914
Hi all,

Here's front & rear bumpers on my 1974 914-4 car. Notice on the rear bumper the small dia. hole plug for the tow eye. On my car it's (original) chromed plastic. I've tried to find another & never found one. mad.gif

Tom
type4org
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 20 2007, 03:34 PM) *

I'd love to see that option code or proof on an invoice. I don't think Porsche charged for something that was mandated in certain states, at least not for cars delivered to those states that mandated them.

TJB/914
Here's a better closeup of an early 1970-6 rear bumper & my 1974 914-4 bumper. Notice the different curve (more straight on the 70 & curved on the 1974).

Tom
TJB/914
QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 20 2007, 12:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 20 2007, 03:34 PM) *

I'd love to see that option code or proof on an invoice. I don't think Porsche charged for something that was mandated in certain states, at least not for cars delivered to those states that mandated them.

Jens

You may be correct. Lets ask other's if they know the real story. It may have been included on some options or mandated by the govt. in certain states?? It was probably not a stand alone option??

Tom
TJB/914
Here's Brad's from Ohio with his 75 (or 76??).
It's one of the most original 914's in all 914 land. pray.gif No tits.

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 20 2007, 03:40 PM) *

Hi all,

Here's front & rear bumpers on my 1974 914-4 car. Notice on the rear bumper the small dia. hole plug for the tow eye. On my car it's (original) chromed plastic. I've tried to find another & never found one. mad.gif

Tom

Tom, if you EVER do come accross a supply of those toe eye plugs (in chrome), keep me in mind. I live in fear of that things comeing off the bumper on the road.
Pat
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 20 2007, 01:07 PM) *

Here's Brad's from Ohio with his 75 (or 76??).
It's one of the most original 914's in all 914 land. pray.gif No tits.

Tom

says 76. Whats the vin number??

drooley.gif
Johny Blackstain
Front view of a stock 74LE. Please note the brand new, OEM, rubber trunk seal forcing the lid up... headbang.gif

cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
rear view of 74LE stock bumper-

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 3 2007, 12:59 PM) *

rear view of 74LE stock bumper-

cool_shades.gif

Nice!!!!

My personal favorite of the LE's.

Sorry guys - I'm a red person.
Bleyseng
How come you got euro lenes on the LE?
Aaron Cox
and another bumper tit of info smile.gif

you could get headlight washer systems on EITHER style bumper!
i have seen the early bumper top with nozzles, and have seen a late bumper cap with the nozzles!

AA
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 3 2007, 08:46 PM) *

Nice catch. Really just for the photo shoot. The stock ones are back on & the euros are goin on the 6. If I land this house at the end of the month the girls will finally be together & I'll be able to take some newer pics. I have no home at the moment & one is hidden in storage & the other's w/ me... I just bought the 6 in January.

cool_shades.gif

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 3 2007, 09:46 PM) *

This better? I know, bad photography. Maybe in daylight tomorrow.

cool_shades.gif
TedK
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 3 2007, 11:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 3 2007, 08:46 PM) *

the euros are goin on the 6.

cool_shades.gif

Do the euro lenses belong on a 6? I thought all USA 914's came with the orange lenses. The fixer six I just bought has the euros, but I assume with only one light in the bucket the lens is not stock.

Thanks

Ted K
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(TedK @ Aug 31 2007, 02:07 PM) *

Do the euro lenses belong on a 6? I thought all USA 914's came with the orange lenses. The fixer six I just bought has the euros, but I assume with only one light in the bucket the lens is not stock.

Thanks

Ted K

No & yes. Good presumption on the # of bulbs. Does not matter if it's a four or a six, US lenses belong on them all, here in the US. In the front, solid orange, no orange/clear "bifocals". Side markers, "warts", are also OEM & DOT, & very orange for US spec. All red & 1 clear, on each side, in the back. No orange at all. smile.gif

My six is a 916 clone so I get to Euro her biggrin.gif . Not O&H, but informative none the less.
Pat Garvey
Let's clarify the lens thing for those who are new to this forum.

US delivery: Front = single orange color turn signal lenses & side markers. Rear = red lenses, with clear insert for backup lights.

US = side markers (mandatory), those lenses cited above.

ANY variation from those must be documented by the COA, else it's NOT original. No side markers looks nice & clean, but it's not original in the US. Bi-color or clear turn signals are not original in the US. Tri-color rear signal lenses are not original in the US, and imply that the side markers do not exist on the car.

I agree, these changes can look cool, but this forum isn't about cool. It's about originality.
Pat
TedK
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 20 2007, 01:43 PM) *

Here's a better closeup of an early 1970-6 rear bumper & my 1974 914-4 bumper. Notice the different curve (more straight on the 70 & curved on the 1974).

Tom

OK, thanks for lens info........now back to bumpers: Since my "new" 1970 6 has the more curved rear bumper, does that mean the original was definately replaced or could it be OEM on my car??? The details may drive me insane before I finish restoring this car.

Thanks again,

Ted K
orthobiz
QUOTE(TedK @ Sep 1 2007, 07:17 PM) *

Since my "new" 1970 6 has the more curved rear bumper, does that mean the original was definately replaced or could it be OEM on my car??? The details may drive me insane before I finish restoring this car.

Thanks again,

Ted K

Check out Post 17 in this thread, then post some pictures!!!!!

I'm even updating my Avatar...

Paul
Porsche Rescue
All 1970 914's , four or six, came with the "squared" license plate indent.
At some point that bumper was NLA and damaged bumpers were replaced with the later bumper.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(TedK @ Sep 1 2007, 05:17 PM) *

Tom

OK, thanks for lens info........now back to bumpers: Since my "new" 1970 6 has the more curved rear bumper, does that mean the original was definately replaced or could it be OEM on my car??? The details may drive me insane before I finish restoring this car.

Thanks again,

Ted K

Your '70 came with the "squared" liscense plate indent - all did in '70. The "rounded" mean that the bumper was replaced along the line. Could be a major thing, depending on your POV, but try to find a squared bumper that is even reapairable - rare beast & expect to pay accordingly.
TedK
Paul that avatar looks much better. Well, from my quick education here on 914World, I have surmised the following:

1. My rear bumper has been replaced
2. My rear tail light lenses have been replaced with tri-color units
3. Both front and rear valence panels are missing
4. The items above can be replaced with correct units at significant cost for
some.
5. I may file bankruptcy before this is over.

The bumper does not bother me, and I actually prefer the tri-color tail lenses. All three 914-6 that I tried to buy on Ebay had the tri-color units. I am mainly going to be concerned with the body / rust issues which will become known in full when I dismantle the car. Here she is sitting in my back yard awaiting completion of the new garage.

cheers

Ted K

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 1 2007, 09:34 PM) *

Your '70 came with the "squared" liscense plate indent - all did in '70. The "rounded" mean that the bumper was replaced along the line. Could be a major thing, depending on your POV, but try to find a squared bumper that is even reapairable - rare beast & expect to pay accordingly.

You have got to be kidding blink.gif . I had no idea. Bumper is now in the attic, staying very, very dry. COA is on the way, but Irish Green & black leatherette is not my cup of tea & I still have no idea where the original engine is & don't want to know!
orthobiz
Ted, you're gonna have so much stuff to do on the car I would do the bumper originality thing LAST. It's an easy bolt on and it doesn't glare at me like a 916 bumper would...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Paul
type47fan
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 18 2006, 09:43 AM) *

Here is an original, concours 914 front end. This would be an "appearance pkg" chrome bumper w/fog lights, circa 1970/71/72. Car belongs to our moderator, Pat Garvey.

I know this is from a post of nearly a year ago (post #2), but, it seems that the "concours" front end might be subject to deductions for displaying incorrect turn signal lenses, for the configuration.

Can almost make out the amber corner of a euro rear lense, too.

Maybe the referenced post should be moved to the Garage Forum biggrin.gif , or at least updated with a current correct photo, so as not to confuse the issue of what's original and what's not.
slackin' at work
anyone have a picture of the correct original lisence plate bracket mounted to the front early chrome bumper? where to get one?

thanks... this would save me from drilling new holes sad.gif
Porsche Rescue
Email Craig at Camp914.com I'm sure he would have a proper bracket.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type47fan @ Sep 3 2007, 11:30 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 18 2006, 09:43 AM) *

I know this is from a post of nearly a year ago (post #2), but, it seems that the "concours" front end might be subject to deductions for displaying incorrect turn signal lenses, for the configuration.

Can almost make out the amber corner of a euro rear lense, too.

Maybe the referenced post should be moved to the Garage Forum biggrin.gif , or at least updated with a current correct photo, so as not to confuse the issue of what's original and what's not.

Wayne,

You make a valid point! That pic was taken somewhere in the 75-77 era, by someone who did not have my authorization or waiver to post ( bootyshake.gif ). Yes, my car did have euro fron & rear lenses at that point - looong gone. You didn't mention the chromies!

It DID look good though with those things on. Makes me think........

I'd post an update of the front, but the car's on stands until spring & not enough room to get a pic. Rear is back to stock lights (since about '78). I'd send a pic of that, but it's not too flattering with it's butt up in the air.

Pat
Sleepin
1975 non-appearance group with driving light blanks:

IPB Image

Sorry for the blurry pic. Backdated bumpers and appearance group get all the attention IMO! sawzall-smiley.gif
TedK
What's the story on the fog light grills in the front bumper. Early ones are supposed to be metal?? Are they available anywhere? Yes I did a search.

Ted K
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(TedK @ Jun 4 2008, 10:23 PM) *

What's the story on the fog light grills in the front bumper. Early ones are supposed to be metal?? Are they available anywhere? Yes I did a search.

Ted K

Ted, the very early ones were metal. Not certain when the changeover was made, but Bowlsby could narrow it down. Are they available? Haven't seen any for sale for quite a while, and they were dubious.
Pat
Lavanaut

What continues to confuse me on topics like this one is references to "early" vs. "late" 914-6s. There were three model years, so where's the delineation between early/late?

The reason I ask is, I was looking at a particular 1971 /6. It had the rounded rear bumper (commonly referred to as "late"), and I'm trying to figure out if it was correct or not. Perhaps it's the case that MY '71 cars came both ways, depending on when during the production run they were assembled...? idea.gif

Thanks
Porsche Rescue
Early would be 1970 when speaking of a six. The "early" rear bumper (squared off license indent, often incorrectly called a "six" bumper) is correct for both four and six in 1970. A curved indent is correct for a '71, four or six.
Lavanaut
Ahhh...clarity. Thanks Jim!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 25 2008, 06:41 PM) *

Early would be 1970 when speaking of a six. The "early" rear bumper (squared off license indent, often incorrectly called a "six" bumper) is correct for both four and six in 1970. A curved indent is correct for a '71, four or six.

Dead nuts , right on!
Pat
Lavanaut
In asking around a bit more, there seems to be some consensus that the switch to the curved rear bumper occurred some time during the '71 model year run. This is of particular interest to me. Is there anyone out there with a '71 /6 that has the squared-off bumper?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.