Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northeast History In the Making!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partsman
Click to view attachmentCome one, come all...

This Sunday, William Harris and I will be driving our cars in my town's Santa Day Parade. clap56.gif I gotta believe that this is the very first time in the parade's 42 years, there has never been two 914s in the parade, driving side by side. Or, if there has been, maybe the fact that both cars are blue will be our ticket into the record books (or that the cars are one year apart......) i'm sure, if pressed, I will be able to come up with something..

I've been driving in the parage for about 5 years now. This is usually when my car goes to bed for the winter. I was almost begging William to come with me (even though our cars will look like before and after restorations, but hell, my kids still think my car is ok) I always have to alternate who gets to ride with me.

I usually get stuck driving next to a 56 blue something stationwagon, who scares all the other drivers by throwing candy at the spectators. I have to tell you, you haven't seen anything until you see a 1920ish Model t go into an emergency stop trying to avoid the kids who run out to get the candy... then there was the year I got stuck next to an early 70's Caddy, the comparision was just unbeleiveable.

I'll post pictures after Sunday, but I can show some from the previous years. I just have to dig them up
KELTY360
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

You need the top off with a parade queen waving from your targa bar. wavey.gif

Love that Stude Conestoga behind you in the pic.
partsman
Click to view attachmentThat's the wagon that keeps throwing candy, even though he always gets warned not to.

I know it look like we're going 100mph in this picture, but my wife + camera does not = Ansel Adams

This is so early in my car's time with me, that I don't even have a rear bumper top pad, and the roll bar vinyl hasn't been installed yet.
JPB
agree.gif Ya, we need some pics of your car with the parade queen. If you can, get some pics of what happens when you both get to the hall in the back room or something!! sheeplove.gif Though you make us all proud already, this would only Deify you in the 914 ranks my friend!!! beer.gif
partsman
Click to view attachmentlooking a little more complete this time
partsman
Click to view attachmentlast one that I could find from the previous years..

So com'on, what else are you going to do this Sunday... the weather is supposed to be sunny, but cold (40's)

Oh William, my car still has heat, maybe if we drive close enough, I can send some over to you....
william harris
OK, Eric them's fighting words! Heat, we don't need no stinkin heat. We got Evo headers to growl at lesser cars. Man, it even stopped raining today. Guys, it has rained almost nonstop here in Massachusetts for the last two weeks. We will definitely post pictures from the parade. driving.gif flag.gif
william harris
So I meet Eric at his house this morning and we set out for the parade before noon.
william harris
We arrive early and park near the front of the historic car section of the parade, right behind the Mayor, fire trucks and ambulances, and before the 18 marching bands. flag.gif
william harris
Some of the other cars entered. Does anyone know what this is? confused24.gif
william harris
It's a Kingman Midget and was made in Ohio in the 1960's and sold for $850 new. Here Eric and I survey the scene.
william harris
Cued up and ready to roll.
william harris
Parade Route - about 5 miles thru the center of Haverhill, MA - several thousand turn out for the event every year. We had fun. piratenanner.gif
william harris
These two hot rods in front of Eric and me had to stop every 50 yards and burn out to show off. Eric and I just laughed. Eric and I were side by side down the route.
william harris
It was a lot of fun. Hey, next year NE guys, how about more teeners? beer.gif
richardmosselman
Crossley?

Oops, too late, wrong answer!
mskala
I live in the area, have been to that parade at least once, didn't see your car.

Be real men and do the ones in december where it has actually been snowing biggrin.gif
If I recall Amesbury last year was like that.

I've never wanted to enter any of the parades cause I don't really enjoy going
2 mph and substituting horse poop for cones on the course. biggrin.gif
william harris
No horse poop here Mark. All the "horses" were under the hood, or in our case, lid. thumb3d.gif
partsman
So it took a little longer to get my pictures up, but here we go....

My wife improved, and the journalist that is lurking within might be starting to emerge. Chris (my son) and I are jsut about to start off here:

Click to view attachment
partsman
Here' William and his son Nick waiting to see if my home built engine will start!!

Click to view attachment
partsman
About a 1/4 of the way through, we arrived at the Sanders family review stand:

Click to view attachment

partsman
The Harris entry goes past the review stand to the roar of the crowd!! drooley.gif

Click to view attachment

partsman
Ah yes, the Sanders entry... piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Of course, right after this picture was taken, I revved the engine to impress my mother, who was videoing, and I stalled the car
partsman
Thoughts from both cars:

William... Boy, Eric's car is really quiet all of a sudden.

Eric....CRAP...this better start!!! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

partsman
beerchug.gif Ahh... here we go, off into the sunset.. or frozen tundra. It was about low 40's at parade time.

Click to view attachment

partsman
AN original NARP?

Click to view attachment

partsman
what a great day.. Here's how William looked from my car..gotta love that navy cap!!!

Click to view attachment
partsman
Like William said... hopefully we can get more 'teeners
to go next year!

"No one should have to go alone"
mueba.gif mueba.gif

Click to view attachment
jd74914
Nice cars . . . off topic, but is that a boss 302?
DanT
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 19 2006, 08:09 PM) *

Nice cars . . . off topic, but is that a boss 302?

Looks to be a '69 Mach I with the 1970 rear window slats and spoiler...those were not available in '69. Motor appears to be either a 351 4V or larger...on Mach Is the dual exhaust was only available on cars with 351 4V or larger...could be a 390 or a 428 CJ.

Standard engine on '69 Mach Is was the 351 2v with single exhaust...and 3 speed stick on the floor...optional trans was either a 4 speed stick or C6 automatic. smile.gif

The only way to tell if it is a '69 or a '70 for sure is from the front...and directly from the side since the '70 did away with the air ducts on the rear fenders.
jd74914
Thanks Dan. I was debating between a Boss and Mach 1 but couldn't figure it out. It was the spoiler and black hood that threw me off.
william harris
He was right in front of me. Mach I with 390. He burned rubber every 50 yards burnout.gif
elocke
Guess I should check the board more often sad.gif I'm bummed I missed it.
My 914's look like stromberg.gif next to either of yours. Someday they'll be paradeable aktion035.gif
Ed
partsman
elocke,
were you driving around on Sat morning? I think I drove by you at the intersection of 125 and river street in haverhill around 10:00-11:30 am?

Eric

By the way, the MACH I was a 69
Brad Roberts
Great shots!

I love it! Carry on the 914 torch! I bet half the people had NO idea what kind of car it was.

Good job clap56.gif

B
partsman
I gotta tell you Brad, the first few years I was in it, I could hear people asking that very question as I drove by. I almost stopped driving in the parade, but my kids got such a kick out of being in it, I just couldn't stop. They both argue as to who's turn it is to ride, that I have to get the pictures out from the prevois year to decide. I knew William would get a kich out of it, and I didn't feel so out of place with the muscle cars, brass cars, and that friggen King Midget. he showes up every year. You should see the size of the guy that drives that thing!!!

I really hope next year we can get more cars... it would be a vindication for all those lonely years... William is hooked, and says he will be back next year. Someday we'll tell all of you how we almost missed the parade start!
william harris
Just leave out the part about how I almost had a heart attack running the 1 mile back to the cars about 15 minutes before the start. av-943.gif
mskala
[quote name='partsman' date='Nov 20 2006, 03:09 PM' post='820018']
elocke,
were you driving around on Sat morning? I think I drove by you at the intersection of 125 and river street in haverhill around 10:00-11:30 am?

Eric

That was probably me. Taking the boy to skating that morning.

My car is also blue. Try to give a warning next parade time so the rest of
us can plan. Maybe you should get some super-worn-out 165's and do
burnouts with the losers rocking nana.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.