Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karman Ghia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2-OH!
Got a mis-guided friend who does not want a teener but instead wants a Ghia...Where should he look??? Do they have a Web Site like this one ???

2-OH!
r_towle
www.thesamba.com
Hawktel
I'm going to get a Ghia someday. It was the only car my mother liked. The one I get is getting a type 4 in it though. I don't know any boards for them though.
TheCabinetmaker
John, at Ghia specialties, he's on this board
John Kelly
There are a few links on my links page that might help:

http://ghiaspecialties.com/ghia_links.htm

I second the choice of the samba. By far the best.

Have to add the 914club on my next update.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Queenie
What's misguided about it? I'd be happy to own another early Volks someday. If I ever find myself a nice, affordable Notchback you can be damn sure I'll snap it up.
Mike D.
Nothing works better than Cash In Hand and a trip to the Pomona Swap Meet in So. Cal. Lot's to choose from, instant gratification.
Katmanken
Not so misguided a friend.

Karman Gooeys are very nice cars if properly done. Had one all through college. Mine burned rubber in 2 gears and handled well with the low cg and suspension mods.

Only thing I didn't like about it was the pedals are set to the right of the seat and your leg is cocked at a funny angle at all times. I'd be driving along and all the sudden would get this charlyhorse in my leg.

The other thing is rust. Did I mention rust? They are, like 914's, made by Karmann, and that's German for RUST. blink.gif

My wife made me sell it and buy something with four seats for the "family". Years later, I wanted a "fun" car and ended up with my teener.

Ken
reverie
thesamba.com is good, but I think the best place to look is our local newspapers. Karmann Ghias are rather plentiful in our area, and there's usually one or two for sale in the weekend papers, and the prices seem reasonable. But just fyi, here's another good website:
http://www.serve.com/bacani/kgtp_fs_cars.html

Also check the bulletin boards at Bow Wow, Auburn Foreign Car, etc, etc.. smile.gif
djm914-6
I can't help with finding one, but I have always liked the Ghia, especially "Cal-Look" modifies ones. But then again, I also love Outlaw 356s too.
kafermeister
QUOTE(kwales @ Nov 11 2003, 08:13 PM)
Only thing I didn't like about it was the pedals are set to the right of the seat ...

The other thing is rust....

agree.gif

I've still got my first KG. Just couldn't bear to part wtih it.
redshift
Off to the right?

I have been driving 914s so long, my right leg is exactly (_____________________) that much longer than my left.

M
need4speed
Well, if he's a glutton for punishment, I'm wanting to sell mine (or trade for a 914).

I'll always like the looks - but I've been feeling like I want something a bit faster and more nimble in corners. (Mine has 19mm anti-sway bars front and rear). (Oh, and the Fuchs are non-negotiable. I'll put the original wheels and p165's back on her when I find a buyer).

I could go down the long list of "warts" - but I don't want to fill up the hard drive on this server. . .
tod914
The convertibles bring in more money than our teaners. Wats up wid dat?
airkewl
Go to http://www.KarmannGhia.org and subscribe to the mail list. You can get it in digest mode as well.
Tony
need4speed
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 12 2003, 09:53 AM)
The convertibles bring in more money than our teaners. Wats up wid dat?

Well, I've thought long and hard on this subject, and when it comes down to it - I love the Ghia because to me, it's a 550 with a back seat.

However, now my kids are too big for that back seat, and I'm a bit smarter now, so I realize the difference between a 550 and a Karmann Ghia chairfall.gif . . . .

I also realize that:
A: I'd never be able to drive a 550 (or replica) to work on a regular basis.
B: I probably could never afford a 550.
C: I'm still young and stupid enough to believe that a 914 is a more modern 550 (with a top, and a lower price tag). Please, don't spoil this illusion for me. rolleyes.gif

But anyway - that's why I think convertible Ghias are "more widely desirable" than a 914.
They're also a buttload cheaper to maintain if you keep the engine reasonably close to stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.