Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IF I DID IT!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
The following report is a purely theoretical discussion of the performance parameters of the Raby 2056. If the owner of a Raby 2056 2.0 litre motor, equipped with Raby's 9550 cam, Raby's cam gear, oil pump, etc., Hoffman machine shop SuperStock heads, flowing to the Chris Foley Evo headers (barely tame for the street) were to attempt to run the motor up to its 6,500 rpm red line, and lets say go onto Interstate 95 north of Boston early on a Saturday morning, in a remote locatation, say between Boxford and Topsfield and catch a 1 mile break between traffic flows, it might be possible to wind the motor up to around 6,100 rpms in 5th gear and see an indicated speed of over 130 mph before catching up to traffic in the high speed lane - rapidly moving out of the way with the approaching wail of the banchee exhaust and the small blue car overtaking with alarming speed. DAMN, I still haven't gotten to see (whoops - IF I DID IT) the 6,500 rpm red line. New Kuhmos meant rock steady handling even at indicated 130+ . Now this is just a theoretical discussion, YMMV. biggrin.gif Factoring in difference in tire size (adjust indicated speed down about 10 to 12 percent for 50 series sidewall - smaller diameter) I think we might have a legitimate 125 mph top end and this little beast pulls so strong from 4,000 to 6,000 the cam just explodes on the top end. drooley.gif THANKS RABY, AL & CHRIS. KILLER PACKAGE w00t.gif
Crazyhippy
Very nice....

I've seen the speedo needle on the H in MPH... need to figure out this tach so i know how many RPM that is.
Mueller
I would say I'd be jealous of this person in this imaginary tale smile.gif

smiley_notworthy.gif thumb3d.gif

Howard
My imaginary friend got his stock 2.0 up to 112 (GPS) and said it felt like there was a bunch left. But you still have a ways to go.

In answer to that question, yes, the Garmin will work on a 747 biggrin.gif
Edit: opsie, for got to convert to jpg
william harris
Maybe I can get of FOX and cry about a speeding ticket. burnout.gif BTW this picture is before the Kuhmos, these were the Pirelli with a 65 sidewall,scary at high speed due to sidewall flex.
Howard
William, that is one fine looking car! I like the Kumho's too, but I'll bet some of that wandering was reduced by lowering the car.
JB 914
QUOTE(william harris @ Nov 18 2006, 10:03 AM) *

Maybe I can get of FOX and cry about a speeding ticket. burnout.gif BTW this picture is before the Kuhmos, these were the Pirelli with a 65 sidewall,scary at high speed due to sidewall flex.

Very Nice! beerchug.gif burnout.gif
Jake Raby
William...
I have had my 2056 in my 912E to just over 140 MPH before I ran out of revs.... My dad was in the midle of a heart attack when I did it with him in the passenger seat..

My bet is that you'll hit the aero wall at about 135 MPH with the amount of HP you have...

That RAT 2056 combo really rocks... The 2270 is another completely different world :-)

Glad to see the car is meeting your expectations.... Thats what gets more 4's built the right way!
ConeDodger
Theoretically, our test subject would have had a higher fun factor if he or she had just put in a six... (long silence) Oh my God! What have I done? Another meaningless but emotionally charged debate.

Sounds like you had fun. I have a little route I use for my Sunday or Saturday romp drive. I am thinking of visiting Boston in March for a Pediatric Conference. I will have to check out the stretch of road that could in theory be used for such an offense to society.
JPB
Scary sweet but sweet none the less smilie_pokal.gif
johannes
I reached 4800 rpm on a german highway. (yes, some portions are stil with no speed limit).
I have 185/70/15 tyres, so this theoretically means about 116 mph. Not bad for a 1975 californian 1.8 ...
Ok, I cheated ! there is no more catalysator ... and pistons have been changed biggrin.gif
SGB
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Nov 18 2006, 11:21 AM) *

I've seen the speedo needle on the H in MPH.

"I was going like H"

av-943.gif
Crazyhippy
that's my defence... I couldn't have been going that fast... the speedo stopped @ 120 biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
William,
What is the specific size of your tires? Tire Rack should have the circumference of that tire and I have an Excel spreadsheet/graph to calculate speed vs rpm for different gear/and tire combinations.
Rleog
Hi guys...

FWIW: If that section of I-95 is the flats between exits 50 and 51, better cruise it each way, looking for unmarked radar vehicles first. That piece is a favorite for high speed tests, and for State Police.

Sweeeeet vehicle. Love that color in the sunlight!
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 18 2006, 10:14 AM) *

William...
I have had my 2056 in my 912E to just over 140 MPH before I ran out of revs.... My dad was in the midle of a heart attack when I did it with him in the passenger seat..

My bet is that you'll hit the aero wall at about 135 MPH with the amount of HP you have...

That RAT 2056 combo really rocks... The 2270 is another completely different world :-)

Glad to see the car is meeting your expectations.... Thats what gets more 4's built the right way!

I agree with Jake. That 2056 motor with higher RPM redline should easily get a 914 up to around 135. I had a 73 2.0 motor with just a bit more compression than stock and it could push my old 914 above 125 MPH if I had the room.
Brett W
My 2056 could redline 5th gear at 7000 with ease. But that was only 127 with an X fifth gear. SO yeah there is no reason why you couldn't hit 135 plus with the stock rear gear.
Andyrew
I've redlined mine (6100) in 5th... with the top off, windows down, gf in car.. AND held it there for about 10 seconds..

NOW who's to say I didnt just push in the clutch and bring up the revs huh??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.