Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm at it again...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chogokin
Hey all, after about a 3 month break, I'm working on my little car again. I am back into the brakes to find out WTF is going on. I'll spare you all the grizley details getting to this point and just tell the problem. I have had problems with my pass side front cal on my '70 since I got it, put a kit into it about 8 months ago and still not fixed. Today I tore it down for the 3rd time to see if I missed something and have noticed that the cal applies pressure fine but does not release it, even when I release the hyd pressure. All the others release fine just not this one. Any ideas on what it could be?
bd1308
id take it down and rebuild everything and check the condition of that rubber seal in the brake piston bore.

Chogokin
I thought that may be the prob so I took it out and checked it thouroughly and the seals are good. Is it possible that the guide.. lock.. whatchamacallit in the center of the pistons are catching and not allowing the pistons to release?
Dr Evil
How are you releasing hydraulic pressure?

This is a common feature of a brake line failure. After a while the rubber brake lines start to flake off in the inside. These flakes act like check valves and trap pressure on the caliper. If you disconnect the brake line and are abel to retract the piston then you pretty much have proof of your culprit.

It is also possible that the deteriorating line could have let some flakes migrate into your caliper and are causing it to retain pressure in the caliper. Same as problem above, just further down the line.
Chogokin
I bet your right, after a few tests I can release pressure with the bleed valve and the brakes releasing slightly. But when I loosen the line it released. So, new lines it is. Thanks for the help aktion035.gif
Chogokin
Any recommendations on where to buy some new ones from or should I just hit ebay, I see steel braided ones for about $70
highways
Steel braided are nice, but I've heard they still have plastic on the inside. My steel lines being old as they are going to be replaced and I'm just going to go with new rubber to save some costs since I have alot of stuff to replace.
Eric_Shea
Rubber lines for sure.

$12.50 each and $8.10 shipping wink.gif
Chogokin
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 18 2006, 04:25 PM) *

Rubber lines for sure.

$12.50 each and $8.10 shipping wink.gif

who's got the rubber ones? I just took mine off and it is SHOT! need some QUICK!
NM I found them on your link..
Dr Evil
Did you try taking the offendig part to the FLAPS to see if they have a replacement? I know NAPA tends to stock such things, but not my car type. You will be looking for that length wiht those metric (?) Euro ends.

Happy hunting!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.