Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk latch stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJdiego
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to bring my 914-6 back to life after being stored since 1982. Among many issues is the front trunk release will not unlatch the hood. Any way to manually release it? There must be a way to unlock it if the cable breaks.

Thanks, RJ
thesey914
yes take off front bumper and you can get the release catch through an aperture
You remove the front bumper with two 13mm bolts in each wheel arch.
JPB
:agree:Hole thingys behind the old bumper. welcome.png
abearauto
also make sure that when you do get it open that the cable sheath is in good conditon and all the tabs that secure it are holding most important that the clamp at the latch assy is there and tightend to hold the cable housing this makes it alot eaiser to release the front hood
RJdiego
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Nov 18 2006, 01:44 PM) *

yes take off front bumper and you can get the release catch through an aperture
You remove the front bumper with two 13mm bolts in each wheel arch.

Thanks, the last time I took the bumpers off was 1979. I thought the bolts were in the trunk. Getting to old to crawl under the car!

RJ
thesey914
Last time I took off the front bumper I found it easier with the wheels removed and out of the way
jim912928
After you get it open...if you want it to work smooth and like butter. Take the sheath off....take it and the wire component down to your local go cart/motorcycle shop and have them cut a new cable the proper length. Then have them thread the 914 wire into the cart sheath...put it back on the 914 and you'll never get binding again. For me, the total cost was like 12 bucks and I can open the trunk with a 1 finger pull.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.