Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Everything you need to make a splitter can be bought at...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TonyAKAVW
GREAT SUCCESS!

Today, members of Team NARP achieved remarkable results after some officesupply engineering.

To make a splitter, go to your local UPS store, or Kinkos (Home Depot might be overkill but some prefer their selection).

You will need:

Yellow Duct Tape
Black Duct Tape
Random cardboard box
Up to 6 plastic knives for supports
A real knife for cutting the cardboard
Permanent marker for adding graphics.

The design speaks for itself, so here goes...
TonyAKAVW
Second picture.

TonyAKAVW
Now for some high speed testing. John reports that he definitely felt a good 50-55 lbs of additional downforce. AWESOME!
Aaron Cox
dude, we rock. Thanks to all for the design work, and the fabbing skills. i cannot wait to see what it does at the track!!!

cardboard - free
plastic utensils - free
nice flared six - borrowed.

Making your own sweeper dam and splitter with friends. PRICELESS.

downforce -
"Great Success"
Joe Bob
Ok........S L O W L Y step away from the tile grout you have been smoking.....the crack is B E T T ER......
TonyAKAVW
Very high smile factor. It HAS TO BE WORKING.. Of course it did retract into the bumper for stowage, an unanticipated feature.

TonyAKAVW
John catches a cone! OH NO!
jsteele22

Is the yellow to make it go faster ?

TonyAKAVW
TEAM NARP TAPE ENGINEERS
Aaron Cox
these will be available shortly, we are in process of making bulk purchase of cardboard from UPS (thanks ellyut)

we will post our downforce results inthe paddock.

High five! Great Success!
Joe Ricard
Ya know this is Trekkor's fault he startedall this Splitter on a budget crap.
Now look at this we got young'ins tryingto imitate evil genious
Aaron Cox
ours came in at around 2 lbs....

we needed 22 lbs total, so we added scuba weights and 2x4's for strength and mass.
the plastic knives/utensils acted as a great turn buckle... great for adjusting attack angle.

TonyAKAVW
The next project is a set of cardboard mailing tube headers. One of the advantages is that as you drive, they get less restrictive, AND get lighter over time.

-Tony
Trekkor
Speechless... ohmy.gif

Series9
Oh yes. I still hurt from laughing so hard.
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif av-943.gif

man, i needed that laugh!
piratenanner.gif Andy

PS: group buy? idea.gif
Crazyhippy
So anyone figure out how much downforce it creates at say 100mph??

My computations say we will need about a foot of travel on the stock torsion bars....???

Look for the original on e-bay shortly, and mass production as soon as we can pawn shipping off on Z.

BJH
T H O M A S
drunk.gif
Series9
High altitude testing to commence in NM next month...........
lybones
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Nov 18 2006, 04:52 PM) *

Now for some high speed testing. John reports that he definitely felt a good 50-55 lbs of additional downforce. AWESOME!

av-943.gif SHWEET! love the Pacifico sponsor, too. I wish I could have been there.
Howard
To save you a trip to snopes.com, let me give you the real story.

3 engineers and a commercial pilot took an origami class. Lacking any artistic abilities, they decided to create an aerodynamic device. The goal was cheap downforce, but without a wind tunnel (or any common sense) the device looked more like a snow shovel.

They securely (?) mounted it on a 914/6. While proud of their work, none wanted to risk the test flight. After a brief conference, they agree:
"Let's get the bartender to do it".

While there are no actual test results, it appeared to this trained eye that prior to its catastrophic failure the device caused substantial lift. With rigid materials and suitable mounting, flight may been possible. Not controlled flight, but addition of control surfaces.....

Thought you'd like to know happy11.gif burnout.gif
TonyAKAVW
On the contrary, we have ample data to support our claims. In the following graph you will notice that the downforce increases monotonically with speed. What begs further investigation however is that it does not do so linearly or exponentially as one might expect.

The dramatic decrease in downforce at 30mph is due to the automatic retraction of the splitter, not a catastrophic failure as some have proposed.

- Tony
Aaron Cox
cross posted pictures....

as you can see, we are even sponsored for our R/D on the cardboard splitter.
we would like to thank Low Performance HAUS and UPS, along with costco utensils smile.gif

IPB Image

and the build team.
IPB Image
Allan
I was wondering what you nuts were doing with the box...

Excellent work!!! thumb3d.gif
JPB
av-943.gif Comedic genious and over the top!!!
sww914
You guys need to buy some project cars, idle hands do the devil's work.
redshift
laugh.gif

OMG! That killed me!

m
JoeSharp
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 19 2006, 07:16 PM) *

laugh.gif

OMG! That killed me!

m

Probably not Miles, but we'll keep trying.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
nebreitling
LMFAO here!!!!!!
Howard
On another note, they weren't even drinking. Scary, huh? blink.gif
Aaron Cox
only during the celebration!

no one commented on the winglets????
Crazyhippy
too busy sending the winglet pics to the chineese to mass produce them....

BASTARDS!!
Series9
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 19 2006, 09:08 PM) *

On another note, they weren't even drinking. Scary, huh? blink.gif

Don't go crazy.........beer IS required.
markb
I absolutely cannot believe these guys were messing around while there were 914's present. One of those cars must have needed something repaired on it, and you all ignored it to play with cardboard. Shame on you!!!

biggrin.gif

Looks like you had a good time. smile.gif
VegasRacer
As Team NARP Test Driver MDB2.gif I would like to congratulate the Engineering Team smilie_pokal.gif on the resounding success of the splitter project. smash.gif The improvement in handling and stability was dramatic. burnout.gif

I would also like to thank them pray.gif for answering the age old question:
"How many engineers does it take to change a light bulb?" idea.gif
*(or in this case, a set of new Pilot Driving Lights from Camp914)

Hey Trekk - beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
laugh.gif What a riot.
GTeener
chairfall.gif Nice! Looks like a good time was had by all.

Thanks for sharing thumb3d.gif
Trekkor
The "real deal" wink.gif

70-75 mph.

Click to view attachment

You can see the entire Infineon gallery over in my splitter thread in the Paddoack if you wish.

KT
sixnotfour
now thats track tested.
Aaron Cox
i think you missed the spirit or message in the thread T smile.gif
Trekkor
No I got it. smile.gif

i thought it was hilarious and was thankful I hadn't taken a bite of food or a drink of anything carbonated.

i liked the functional roof scoop, too.

"LPH"- classic.

KT
mudfoot76
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 21 2006, 12:25 AM) *

thankful I hadn't taken a bite of food or a drink of anything carbonated.

I did just spray coffee onto my screen. That cardboard splitter is hilarious!! Low Performance Haus!!

I especially enjoyed the graph, with downforce measured in "units"

Good job, everyone!!
grantsfo
On a serious note. Couldn't you guys throw some fiberglass cloth down on your cardboard cutouts and slop some resin on them. Then get L brackets and affix this permanently?

I think there is a potential market for cheap cardboard core performance parts for the 914. Maybe you could find a viable source of employment for yourselves? biggrin.gif

TonyAKAVW

I hoped someone would notice that smile.gif

Grant: You are right. There definitely is a potential market for cheap performance parts for the 914. You ever see anyone around here asking for higher prices on perfromance parts? Tricky part is that once you put fiberglass and resin on the cardboar it increases the price by 50 times. Now if you glued together multiple sheets of cardboard in alternating directions (like plywood) you might have something.

Hmm... boxes and 3M super 77 adhesive spray. Probably moves you up from UPS/Kinkos to Staples/Office Depot, but still a bargain!

-Tony
mudfoot76
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Nov 21 2006, 01:00 PM) *

I hoped someone would notice that smile.gif

In my work, I deal with alot of graphs and statistics, so whenever I see a new graph, I look at the scales before I look at the plot(s).

Hmm... boxes and 3M super 77 adhesive spray. Probably moves you up from UPS/Kinkos to Staples/Office Depot, but still a bargain!

-Tony

I can't believe this is turning into an almost serious consideration. Instead of laying cardboard like plywood, why not just use plywood (since we're still shopping at home depot and this idea brings us back to absurd). Yeah, it might be heavy, but it will resist "retracting" above 30 mph biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
and it can fly off and kill people on the track smile.gif

trek - thanks for being a goodsport....

we all lost some pounds from laughing so hard.

too fun
Crazyhippy
i'm still giggling...
TonyAKAVW
So we aren't the only ones to do cardboard ground effects....

Cardboard parts on a cavalier

I like how he considers his final result "kick-ass."

-Tony
Crazyhippy
he put more time into his... but ours is Much more effective.

Ours also might be prettier...

BJH
Geezer914
That is some funny shit!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.