Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche and/or racing DVD suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
I am making my Christmas list and I already have some car related items that I am asking for smile.gif. But I am looking for some suggestions on some DVDs. I just watched "Victory by Design: Porsche" again the other day on TV and was left wanting more.

I am generally looking for Porsche prototype racing that covers the 904, 906, 908, 910, 917, 956, 962 era. Also interested in specific events such as any Nurburgring, Le Mans, Targa Florio, Can Am events during that same period. And pretty much any 914 content that is available. I am not as interested in the early 356 stuff. 550 and RSK might float my boat, but it's the purpose built race cars that I enjoy watching the most. Hopefully that will give you an idea what I am looking for. If you know of something else that you think I might enjoy, post those as well!

I am looking for both "Title" and "Sources" (i.e. where to buy from)
sixnotfour
not all porsche but made with a camera on a porsche
good ole racin.
http://www.autosportsltd.com/video_speedmerchants_more.php

Brian Redman does an incar while driving a 914-6 , targa or nurburg(icant remember)

THE SPEED MERCHANTS is the story of the 1972 manufacturer's Championship Series as told by drivers Mario Andretti (Ferrari 312P) and Vic Elford (Alfa Romeo T33TT/3). The film takes you behind the scenes at Daytona, Sebring, the Targa Florio, the Nurburgring, Le Mans and Watkins Glen, focusing on Mario and Vic, as well as Jacky Ickx, Helmut Marko, and Brian Redman. You visit with the drivers at their homes in France, Belgium, Austria and England where they relax with their families between races. Woven into the film is rare footage of both the Ferrari and Alfa Romeo factories where the cars are prepared before each race. Backed by an original musical score, THE SPEED MERCHANTS gives an unforgettable look at a year in the life of the international racing circuit. 95 minutes.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Nov 18 2006, 07:01 PM) *

I am making my Christmas list and I already have some car related items that I am asking for smile.gif. But I am looking for some suggestions on some DVDs. I just watched "Victory by Design: Porsche" again the other day on TV and was left wanting more.

I am generally looking for Porsche prototype racing that covers the 904, 906, 908, 910, 917, 956, 962 era. Also interested in specific events such as any Nurburgring, Le Mans, Targa Florio, Can Am events during that same period. And pretty much any 914 content that is available. I am not as interested in the early 356 stuff. 550 and RSK might float my boat, but it's the purpose built race cars that I enjoy watching the most. Hopefully that will give you an idea what I am looking for. If you know of something else that you think I might enjoy, post those as well!

It is a very old title but a classic without a doubt. Le Mans with Steve McQueen. A classic battle between Porsche and Ferrari plus a cast of others. Even has some 914 GT content as the #40 Sunauto car can be seen for brief moments during the film. I bought my copy at Infinion in the track store but it has to be available in many other places.
richardL
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Nov 18 2006, 07:01 PM) *

InCar 956 - Derek Bell lapping many famous old circuits in a 956. The Nurburgring part is awesome.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(richardL @ Nov 19 2006, 08:55 AM) *

InCar 956 - Derek Bell lapping many famous old circuits in a 956. The Nurburgring part is awesome.

agree.gif

I also enjoyed "Moby Dick and the Warhorse Gang". A good story about an interesting crew (mostly volunteer!) who ran 935s in Endurance Racing--and won! It even has some good in-car footage.

I don't know if it's on DVD yet, but I wouldn't be surprised.

--DD
Richard Casto
bump!!

Thanks for the ideas so far guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.