Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your antenna
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChicagoChris
I am planing on shaving the antenna and am curious what others have done as a replacement. Can you run one arround the windshield frame? Did you run it through the trunk? Did you put a big dish on the rear deck lid? Hoe did you hide it? ph34r.gif
iamchappy
I use this a powered antenna you can get them at any FLAPS. They work great!
Britain Smith
I got one from a hotrod online site....works awesome and is tiny.

-Britain
smj
Very timely as I was just going over the new 914-6 and discovered that the radio did in fact work, but was unable to trace the antenna feed to an actual, erm, antenna. God knows why, but some P.O. ran the power to the radio through a toggle mounted to the left of the steering wheel, and it never occured to me that it would be for the radio. The antenna line disappears behind the back pad, and I decided to leave that adventure for tomorrow.

I was thinking it ought to be possible to hide a small powered antenna somewhere. That windshield mount looks good -- I suppose you could also mount it to the rear window too. I was wondering if there would be any reception with a powered unit mounted behind the radio, under the dash. No wires to hide, but then there'd probably be no reception to worry about either...
East coaster
Went with Sirius.......welded the antenna hole shut and I'll never have another terrestrial radio unless the car already comes with it.

Here's my antenna:

Click to view attachment
JPB
Wow! Sweet interior. I got an electric one in the fender hole. Now I'm begining to regret it sad.gif
Dr Evil
Here is what I plan on doing, except a smaller remote power antenna on the small side grill. I dont know whose this is, though.
iamchappy
I had a power antenna back in my engine compartment that came up through the grill,
The windshield mount is less hassle to install and works great, you really dont notice it when your sitting in your seat.
Dr Evil
I like the window mounted. Where do you get it, and how much? The cheapest remote (motor remotely mounted form the mast) power antenna I have found was $70 which is kinda high.
JPB
Power antena universal kit at Advance Auto Parts for less than $25 if my memory serves me correctly. wink.gif
Dr Evil
Wrong type, hombre. I would need a power antenna that has the MOTOR separate form th MAST. This way you could put the past where ever you want without the motor unit being in the way. The motor unit would be mounted some where close. There is not enough room in a stock bay for a standard UNIVERSAL kit due to the motor unit being under the mast.
JPB
I see said the blind man as he bumped into the tree wacko.gif

Me cabesa es adente me nalga.
highways
Anyone have a wire antenna in the rear window? I'm planning on trying that and would like to know if anyone has had some success.
lybones
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 18 2006, 08:12 PM) *

I use this a powered antenna you can get them at any FLAPS. They work great!

I have this same powered antenna, but have very poor reception with it. Maybe I have a defect. I like the Dr. Evil's idea. How about this stubby "honda s2000" style antenna mounted on side or middle of the engine grill. I'm diggin this.

they have these antennas on evilbay for under 10 bucks. just have to buy a cheap antenna from a FLAPS and pop this mast on.

ebay antenna link
iamchappy
I have heard of people with the defroster optioned rear glass use the defroster grid for an antenna.
TravisNeff
Jim Thorusen shared this with me a long time ago regarding the defroster converted to an antenna.

" I will send you the description that I sent Mihai, and if you need
additional info, let me know and I will send you a schematic. It won't be
much, just something that I will scribble out by hand. I am not sure how
well this thing will work, either, especially since the "antenna" is more shrouded in the basket handle than a windscreen antenna would be, but the
theory is probably correct. Here goes:

You remove the ground from the rear window defogger heater element (I don't know exactly where that is, since my car is not so equipped) and
conect it to one end of an RF choke. The supressor chokes that are sold
for use with alternators to supress alternator whine would probably work
very well. Connect the other side of the choke to ground. The choke
establishes a D.C. ground path for the heater current, but prevents radio frequency signals from going through it, so the signal picked up by your "antenna" is not shorted to ground.
The same thing must be done on the other side: the +12 volt D.C. side.
Insert a similar choke in series with the + 12 volt supply lead also.
Arrange the chokes so that are as close to the window heating element as possible; this will reduce pickup of ignition noise by wiring inside the
engine bay. Between the choke and the heating element on either side,
connect one end of a disc ceramic capacitor... a .005 or .01 microfarad
device at 500 or 1000 volts should be just fine... NPO temperature
coefficient if you can get it, but probably not critical. The capacitor
blocks the D.C. voltage on the heater, preventing it from entering the
radio, but will pass the radio frequency signal just fine. Get an antenna
extension cable from an auto parts or electronics store, and chop off the
female end. Strip the braid back and free up a short length of the center
conductor, being careful not to short the two together. Connect the center
conductor to the free end of the disc ceramic capacitor. Connect the
shield to a close convenient ground. Actually, it works well to put all of
the components for whichever end of the heating element that you decide to connect to into a small metal "mini" box, available from electronics parts
stores, and ground that. Be sure to use a tie-point strip or stand-off
inside the box to make your connections; the leads will break if mechanical considerations are not taken into account.
Route the free (male) end of the antenna extension cable to the radio, and plug it in. Follow the radio manufacturer's instructions for adjusting
the antenna "trimmer" capacitor inside the radio for best results. Then
let me know how well it works..."
drive-ability
I saw an antenna today which was a remote mounted motor assembly. It had the motor unit and a cable (2' to 3') which connected to the antenna mast. It was in a and I am guessing here, mid 80s Jag XJ6. If you wanted to mount the antenna you would have a lot of flexibility with space. The motor is a beefy looking unit as well. Pick a Part would have them for sure. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.