Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IF YOU BUILD IT WE WILL BUY IT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
firstknight13
biggrin.gif jeff a request from the masses er i mean the wrx converts. you being the wire king i thought you might be interested in taking on a project that many of us "non club" members and non members alike could use!!! how about a wire harness for the subaru conversion to the 914.............. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! if you build it WE will BUY IT clap56.gif mueba.gif driving.gif
Crazyhippy
It's a nice thought, but already being done....

Get ahold of Small car performance in Fla. they will convert your harness for you. It's not cheap

BJH
firstknight13
i was thinking i would have this done only once in my life time so "OLD to NEW" most likely won't do as it may fail down the road!!! biggrin.gif driving.gif
Crazyhippy
you can get a "new" 914 harness already, and can get a 3yr old harness converted by small car... Sounds like you have a wiring harness that the oldest part is from 2003. What's the problem again?
firstknight13
no problem am looking for a harness for my 75 2.0 to ej20t only i want a "new" one biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Nov 20 2006, 07:25 PM) *

no problem am looking for a harness for my 75 2.0 to ej20t only i want a "new" one biggrin.gif

if you go with any aftermarket FI, you'll get a new harness, of course you'll have to cut to length and heat wrap it.....

I honestly don't see "anyone" making a simple plug-n-play harness...way too many variables starting with what year 914 and which engine did it originally have to what year Subaru motor and what options do you need..domestic donor or JDM??, the list goes on and on....better learn how to read a wiring diagram and get a heat gun blink.gif
mightyohm
Afaik Jeff Bowlsby only makes d-jet harnesses.

For custom applications you might be better off talking to a Subaru tuner. My guess is you would be better off modifying your existing harness youself if you are willing to take the time and do it right. For a niche application like an EJ20 in a 914, there is probably not going to be a "new" harness out there. It makes more sense to adapt the existing harness since most of what you need is already there.

I admit it would be cool to be able to make a new one custom tailored for the 914. You can't imagine how much goes into one of those harnesses though. Everything from the crimp tools to the terminals in each connector is very specialized and hard to find. The connector bodies are reusable from the old harness but the pins aren't. Just buying sufficient quantity of wire with the stock coloring would be VERY expensive as most places force you to buy spools of several hundred feet or more (of each color!) to get custom striping made.
Mueller
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Nov 20 2006, 07:49 PM) *

Afaik Jeff Bowlsby only makes d-jet harnesses.

For custom applications you might be better off talking to a Subaru tuner. My guess is you would be better off modifying your existing harness youself if you are willing to take the time and do it right. For a niche application like an EJ20 in a 914, there is probably not going to be a "new" harness out there. It makes more sense to adapt the existing harness since most of what you need is already there.

I admit it would be cool to be able to make a new one custom tailored for the 914. You can't imagine how much goes into one of those harnesses though. Everything from the crimp tools to the terminals in each connector is very specialized and hard to find. The connector bodies are reusable from the old harness but the pins aren't. Just buying sufficient quantity of wire with the stock coloring would be VERY expensive as most places force you to buy spools of several hundred feet or more (of each color!) to get custom striping made.

I say, if you cannot do the wiring, don't do the conversion ....the reason being is that unless you get very lucky, you will not find a shop that will touch it...

A local 914'er with a Subaru motor installed by Renegade had his car at a local Subaru "tuner" shop, the car had some minor starter/electrial problems...they wouldn't touch it nor could they recommend a shop that would even look at it....owner had to take the car 600 miles away or something crazy like that....

mightyohm
I totally agree with Mike. I think any non six engine conversion automatically puts you into that territory. I don't think I would go down that road unless I was prepared to spend some quality time contorted around the engine bay.
TonyAKAVW
Knowing the wiring harness is important when down the road something quits and you need to fix it. If you ahve a custom wiring harness that you don't understand you are going to be hard pressed to find anyone who will even consider troubleshooting it.

In my case I have made schematic diagrams of most of my harness. In fact something I need to do soon is update my documentation. I just know that a year or two from now something is going to quit and I'll apreciate having documentation.

-Tony
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 20 2006, 10:51 PM) *

I say, if you cannot do the wiring, don't do the conversion ....the reason being is that unless you get very lucky, you will not find a shop that will touch it...

A local 914'er with a Subaru motor installed by Renegade had his car at a local Subaru "tuner" shop, the car had some minor starter/electrial problems...they wouldn't touch it nor could they recommend a shop that would even look at it....owner had to take the car 600 miles away or something crazy like that....

Turns out there was a fuse installed n the harness by small car perf. no one new it was there, and when it blew, the car no more workied... Crawford Perf. in San Diego found it, and was capable of replacing the fuse...

BJH
JPB
If you get this companie's brain, the wiring is not to complicated and this is just one of the stand alone units available out there. They will make the harnes from the ECU to the engine side. thumb3d.gif
http://www.outbackmotors.com/wiring_101.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.