Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: voltage regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I am looking for info on a solid state VR. I am getting what I think is either voltage spikes or to low voltage right now and I am having to reset my stereo quite a bit. The alt. works fine as the battery is always charged and it reads 14v at the terminals.

Has anyone else run into this problem??

I want to fix it now before I install the MS system.

Thank's
toon1
icon_bump.gif Have I stumped the experts?? LOL biggrin.gif
bd1308
Wht kind of VR are you using?

mightyohm
This is the one I have:

Pelican Parts
Voltage Regulator, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), Each
Brand: Bosch [Photo]

043-903-803B-M14 $38.25

This is solid state. It replaced my original or very old stock VR that was occasionally getting stuck in the "high" state and sending my system voltage to 18V (bad). No problems with the replacement, since I can plot Vbatt vs. time with my megasquirt the improvement was obvious. The solid state unit has much tighter regulation than my worn out mechanical unit did.
toon1
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Nov 20 2006, 09:13 AM) *

Wht kind of VR are you using?

I am using the stock VR.

Jeff, Thanks for the reply, Keith
jk76.914
I use solid state ones as well. I get mine at the local NAPA. Might be a faster route if you're in a hurry.

It looks different, in that it has a cable with a connector at the end to plug into the relay board, and the body then screws to the side of the relay board, albeit hanging outboard of it vs. right over it.

Sorry no picture.

Jim
toon1
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Nov 20 2006, 10:58 AM) *

I use solid state ones as well. I get mine at the local NAPA. Might be a faster route if you're in a hurry.

It looks different, in that it has a cable with a connector at the end to plug into the relay board, and the body then screws to the side of the relay board, albeit hanging outboard of it vs. right over it.

Sorry no picture.

Jim

do you have a part # and price by chance?

Hmmmm. That's got me thinking...... I have been kicking around the idea that an MS relay board is possibly a good replacement for the stock RB.

The only thing that has thrown me is how to adapt a VR.

With the MS RB there are plenty of connections to replace the multi. pin connectors , there are relay's and fuses.

Has this been thought of before? idea.gif

jk76.914
I have no experience with the MS system, so I can't help you.

The NAPA VR is an Echlin VR503. In the picture, the connector detail is lost in its own shadow, but what you CAN'T see in the end are the three tabs that exactly mate to the three sockets in the relay board. The tab on the VR503 body screws to the RB in the same location where OEM VR attached.

You could adapt this to about any installation. Just cut the wires at the connector and crimp on whatever type connector you want.

I don't remember the price, sorry.

Jim

Click to view attachment

mightyohm
The MS relay board doesn't really duplicate the functions of the stock relay board. You would need to add enough wiring for the heater blower, VR, and ignition harness pass throughs (reverse lights etc) that it probably makes sense to retain the original board and adapt your MS to work with it instead. (this is what I did so I am biased biggrin.gif ) Not to mention how are you going to connect to that funny connector on the chassis wiring harness? biggrin.gif
toon1
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Nov 20 2006, 11:46 AM) *

I have no experience with the MS system, so I can't help you.

The NAPA VR is an Echlin VR503. In the picture, the connector detail is lost in its own shadow, but what you CAN'T see in the end are the three tabs that exactly mate to the three sockets in the relay board. The tab on the VR503 body screws to the RB in the same location where OEM VR attached.

You could adapt this to about any installation. Just cut the wires at the connector and crimp on whatever type connector you want.

I don't remember the price, sorry.

Jim

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Nov 20 2006, 11:52 AM) *

The MS relay board doesn't really duplicate the functions of the stock relay board. You would need to add enough wiring for the heater blower, VR, and ignition harness pass throughs (reverse lights etc) that it probably makes sense to retain the original board and adapt your MS to work with it instead. (this is what I did so I am biased biggrin.gif ) Not to mention how are you going to connect to that funny connector on the chassis wiring harness? biggrin.gif

Thank's for the pic..

I was'nt sure if the MS RB would work or not, it was a thought. I will use the stock RB right now. It might be something to look into WAAAAAAAY down the road, after the 1000 other things are done
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.