Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - GM Power Steering Pump Pulley Intall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I have the old family Chevrolet suburban up for sale. Of course stuff starts to go bad.

First a bolt breaks on the exhaust manifold and then the water pump genades.

The water pump was a quick fix (after getting the wrong pump from the FLAPS) but the exhaust manifold was a PITA.

In GM's wisdom, the Power steering pump needs to come off since the mounting bracket attaches to the exhaust manifold. Of course the power steering pump pulley needs to be removed to unbolt the pump. Of course the pulley is PRESSED onto the pump shaft. Of course a special puller/press is required. I rented the a puller from FLAPS. Of course it pull the pulley just fine, but .... there not press feature to intall the puller!

I'm sure the pulley can be pressed on with a long bolt of the correct pitch.

A 3/8 - 16 bolt threads in about only about 2 turns. Does not seem correct.

Any idea what the correct size/pitch for the puller bolt?

Thanks

Eddie

ps: I'm one happy camper after successufully drilling and removing the broken exhaust mainfold bolt ... of course it was the bolt with the poorest access.
ws91420
The FLAPS should have a pulley puller and intstaller kit I know Autozone and Advance do. in another post I saw it was a 95? IIRC that might be a metric thread.
LS6/914
3/8 - 16 is the correct size for "most" GM pumps. Larry
Engman
Check a fine thread - 3/8-24

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.