Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Incorrectly Assembled CV Joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aldehyde
I reassembled my CV joint incorrectly, with the large splines of the inner race aligned with the large splines of the outter race. It should be rotated so the large inner splines align with the small outer splines.

So it's assembled and the cage + BBs move, but the inner race won't move at all. Don't know how it got so wedged in there with such minimal force.

Anyone know a trick to fix this situation?

Am I screwed and now in the market for a NLA CV joint?

Alignment:
IPB Image

Wear on inner race:
IPB Image
LvSteveH
So, is it currently stuck and you're having trouble getting it back apart?

Ever play with a rubic's cube? It's usually just a matter of playing with it until it releases. It can seem quite impossible though, so just be patient and eventually when everything aligns just so, it will come apart with the same minimal force that it went together with.

That pic of the inner race isn't great, but I'm sure once it's back together it will last quite a while if you'd rather not replace it at this point in time.
SirAndy
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Nov 19 2006, 04:54 PM) *

Ever play with a rubic's cube? It's usually just a matter of playing with it until it releases. It can seem quite impossible though, so just be patient and eventually when everything aligns just so, it will come apart with the same minimal force that it went together with.

agree.gif

and the wear does not look too bad at all. i have seen *much* worse ...
smile.gif Andy
Andyrew
I dont see any cracks or hair lines..

As long as you dont have those.. your good. I've had one just have a simple crack, and I've had one completely obliterate on me.
gklinger
BTDT. The answer is here.
mightyohm
That one does look pretty good. Minor wear like that is normal. Deep gouges or pitting are signs that the joint should be replaced.

It will definitely come apart. Usually it takes a combination of pushing the inner race towards the inside or outside of the joint as well as putting pressure on one side to try and rotate it.
davep
You will likely have to put some oil in there to lubricate it.
Aldehyde
Woot!

Got the joint apart, back together properly and the axle back into the car. beer3.gif

Unfortunatly the clunking from dead stop that prompted me to look at the CVs originally got a little better, but is still there. Dissapointing because the wear on the joints dosn't look too bad.

The noise is usually 1-3 dull clunks when the clutch is let out, deffinatly from the passenger's wheel, and it feels like the wheel might hop once or twice when it is bad.

Anything else I should check before ordering a new axle (w/ CVs)? I replaced the motor mounts (not tranny mounts tho).

Thanks Guys beerchug.gif
davep
Congratulations on solving the problem.
Try swapping the axles from side to side, but keeping the direction of rotation the same; inside L becomes outside R. See if the noise follows. It may not be the CV.
Aldehyde
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 21 2006, 02:36 PM) *

Congratulations on solving the problem.
Try swapping the axles from side to side, but keeping the direction of rotation the same; inside L becomes outside R. See if the noise follows. It may not be the CV.

That's a great idea!

I'll relay the outcome....might put it off for a week or two though.
John
You may also want to check your motor and trans mounts. Believe it or not, I have seen one car with a loose passenger side engine mount.

From just looking at it, I couldn't tell anything was wrong. I put a wrench on the bolts and the Passenger side was LOOSE. I tightened it back up and clunking sound dissappeared. (The clunking only occurred from a dead stop)

I was surprised that the nut and bolt were still there being as loose as it was.

The front rubber motor mounts can actually split in half allowing the engine to bounce on the crossbar as well.

Just something else to check.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.