Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Performance cooler ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wit61
Is there a high performance version of the stock oil cooler ? I'm installing a 2.0 liter motor and I am hesitant to stick the stock 1.7 oil cooler on if there is a better alternative. I know there are plenty of external cooler options, but the car is for the street, and I don't think I need to go that route....
Joe Bob
Not really...there ARE high volume oil pumps.....there ARE add on external coolers. Are you having or expecting higher than 210F oil temps?
EdwardBlume
If you don't want an external cooler, make sure all the tin is put together and that the shroud and flaps are working. Use the right grade of oil for the outside temp and call it a day.

Or put an external oil cooler on if you think you need it.
Jake Raby
I have been working on one of these for the past 18 months or so.. We have had issues with sourcing the cores for them but have recently found a new source and are testing them again to make sure they have maintained their benefits.. Its hard to tell now that we are in the winter months..
Joe Ricard
It's never winter here. 1 day of lapping at NPR will tell all. I get the oil to 260 where it hovers for most of the day.
wit61
The 1.7 never ran too hot, but I'm transferring eveything to a rebuilt 2.0 and wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to upgrade if something was out there since oil doubles as coolant.....

QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 19 2006, 08:40 PM) *

Not really...there ARE high volume oil pumps.....there ARE add on external coolers. Are you having or expecting higher than 210F oil temps?

Joe Ricard
If your engine is not already built then just full flow it with one of Jake's kits.
If you are just going to run around town and down the freeway keeping it under 95 - 100 MPH you should not have excessive oil temp problems.

what's hopped up? or is it just rebuilt stock.
Elliot_Cannon
Use synthetic oil and disconnect your oil temp gauge. LOL

Elliot
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 21 2006, 01:44 PM) *

Use synthetic oil and disconnect your oil temp gauge. LOL

Elliot

Brilliant!!!!!!! blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.