Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: rubik's cube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
just wondering, am i the only nerd here who still remembers how to solve that thing? idea.gif

after what, 25 years?
biggrin.gif Andy

PS: i used to oil up the internals so it would move faster (and file down casting marks). screwy.gif
my personal record stands at 38 seconds ... 99% of the time was less than 1 minute ...
John
Nein kann ich noch den Rubiks Würfel lösen.

(No, I can still solve the Rubiks Cube.)
Aaron Cox
you tube it...

guy at my school did in in 40sec...
Mr.C
Hopefully it's in stock.............http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=895759
dflesburg
there are instructions on the web for all the moves.

if you have a job and a 914 you dont have time.

if all you do is smoke pot and lay around the house, why not? after you do that you might want to get a hacky sack.

or skip the whole thing and peel the colors off and put them where they go.
jasons
I can do the first 2/3rds in no time flat. I don't remember anything about doing the bottom 1/3rd.

BTW we used to call it an "ebuc skibur" because we were dorks. But hey, at least I don't tape cardboard on my car and call it a splitter for fun today!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(jasons @ Nov 19 2006, 06:42 PM) *

But hey, at least I don't tape cardboard on my car and call it a splitter for fun today!

we didnt have plywood or fiberglass! we had to do it backyard bob style! chairfall.gif
Series9
I don't remember how to solve one, but back in the day, I could finish in less than 60 seconds.

unsure.gif

Go ahead......
EdwardBlume
Yeah, I remember how to solve it... here you go...

1) You pick it up and turn it a bunch of times
2) You get distracted easily because your middle part feathered hair gets in the way
3) You keep turning it and fussing while your Grandpa bitches about his back
4) You've got to take a whiz
5) You turn the top 22.5 degrees
6) Pop the center piece out
7) Proceed to take all the pieces off.
8) Reassemble it quietly
9) Lie to your sister about how you did it
10) Tell everyone you've lost interest in it now you've "solved it"

Where can I get one these days?

SirAndy
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Nov 19 2006, 06:32 PM) *

there was no "web" 25 years ago. we had to figure it all out by ourselves.

dunno, i though it was fun back then. i might just go and buy me one again ...
piratenanner.gif Andy
jasons
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Nov 19 2006, 07:57 PM) *

Yeah, I remember how to solve it... here you go...

5) You turn the top 22.5 degrees
6) Pop the center piece out
7) Proceed to take all the pieces off.
8) Reassemble it quietly
9) Lie to your sister about how you did it
10) Tell everyone you've lost interest in it now you've "solved it"

Where can I get one these days?

LOL I did that to a bunch of young hot shot Indian SW engineers at work a while back. They had been vascilating on one for weeks. Like I said, I can still do the top 2/3rds. And I still remember how to turn it 45 degrees and pop out the center piece. I just set it on one of their desks while they were out for lunch. When they came back it was just sitting there done. They thought I was Good Will Hunting or something! chairfall.gif
bd1308
walmart has those things, I used to stock those and a bizillion other dumb toys every night rolleyes.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Nov 19 2006, 08:32 PM) *

if you have a job and a 914 you dont have time.

if all you do is smoke pot and lay around the house, why not? after you do that you might want to get a hacky sack.

or skip the whole thing and peel the colors off and put them where they go.

laugh.gif
URY914
I can throw it to the ground and stomp the sonabitch to pieces in 7 seconds. biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
I stand a better chance remembering the guitar parts for "No One Like You", or "Cowboy Song" than solving that damn thing.
Trekkor
Yes back in 6-7th grade for me.

i could solve it in less than 60 seconds... *everytime*.

Almost as popular as the cube itself, was the paperback book with the solution rolleyes.gif

KT
Trekkor
Seems like once you solved the one side, it was just a matter of doing the memorized moves...It solved itself after that point.

The best times to solve depended on how "badly" it was mixed up.

KT
HeloMech
great!! now I want a silly-a$$ed rubik's cube so I have something to do while I'm waiting for the tow trucks....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.