Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPI in Detroit Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
Hi,

I am considering a 914 I found on ebay. It did not meet the reserve price, so I contacted the seller. He will let it go for $6500. I do not care for the color and I don't like the stripes, but if it is in good shape, I am interested. It is only about 300 miles from me, so I can pick it up myself.
Is anybody in the Detroit area willing to do a PPI for me? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good unbiased shop in the Dearborn Michigan area that can do an inspection?
The ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-PORSCH...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
groot
Warren,

It looks like that dude lives very near to me. Let me know what specifically you are looking for and I can go check it out. What I mean is.... daily driver, concours, no rust, some rust, etc. I'm home for a week and then I'm off travelling for work for 2 weeks, so some evening in before next Monday would be ideal. My phone number is 313-805-2825.
groot
Warren,

I just saw and drove the car. Overall, seems like a very solid car. Lots of original stuff that still works.

Body-Orange.... it's an early 70s color..... I think it's pretty cool, but you have to make the call on that. Stripes are vinyl, but have been there a while... could be removed, but there's probably a good chance the paint under the vinyl is a slightly different color than the rest of the body due to the natural aging of exposed paint. Right front fender appears to have been replaced at some time... there's s seam up near the turn signal. There are nicks and scratches in the paint, but none that indicate abuse or anything like that. Some rust bubbles under the sail panel vinyl on the passenger side. Driver's side vinyl has a tear at the bottom. Driver's door opened reasonably with the stock mechanism. Hood, trunk and engine lid all opened well with the stock mechanism.

Chassis-Rear bar car... nice. Rear dampers are white. Maybe some aftermarket crap.....never seen white before.... maybe they're KYBs. All suspension mounting points look strong and unmolested (those that I could see). There's some minor surface rust discoloration.... like orange dust on some parts.... wouldn't stop me, but you should know about it.

Engine bay-EVERYTHING SEEMS LIKE IT'S THERE AND WORKING!!! This was a new experience for me. It has 2.0L heads. The hell hole looks like it was cleaned out fairly recently, but I couldn't see any major damage down there with the flash light. Battery was in place. Typical oil leak under the car......

Interior-Very nice..... maybe the best part of the car. Rubber seals, while not new, may actually seal out some of the water.

Driving experience-The car was driven over to my house, so I don't know how it starts cold. But, it restarted easily. Right rear brake disc has major roughness issues... maybe because it hasn't been driven enough or the disc and/or pads need to be replaced. It shifts as well as any 914 I've driven. It hits all gears and doesn't pop out of gear (at least it didn't on my short trip). It accelerates well, but nothing amazing. No missing, idles well, revs up to 5500 no problem. Seems like it could use a bit more timing for some more pull at the higher RPMs.... but I haven't driven an injected stock-ish motor in many years. Dynamically, it seems great. The dampers are doing their jobs, steering is nice.

I don't know what this would be worth to you or how much you value your dollar, but I think this is a pretty solid car. Other than the rear brakes, I don't think it needs any major work at this time.
warrenoliver
[quote name='groot' date='Nov 24 2006, 12:38 PM' post='822260']
Warren,

I just saw and drove the car. Overall, seems like a very solid car. Lots of original stuff that still works.

Body-Orange.... it's an early 70s color..... I think it's pretty cool, but you have to make the call on that. Stripes are vinyl, but have been there a while... could be removed, but there's probably a good chance the paint under the vinyl is a slightly different color than the rest of the body due to the natural aging of exposed paint. Right front fender appears to have been replaced at some time... there's s seam up near the turn signal. There are nicks and scratches in the paint, but none that indicate abuse or anything like that. Some rust bubbles under the sail panel vinyl on the passenger side. Driver's side vinyl has a tear at the bottom. Driver's door opened reasonably with the stock mechanism. Hood, trunk and engine lid all opened well with the stock mechanism.

Chassis-Rear bar car... nice. Rear dampers are white. Maybe some aftermarket crap.....never seen white before.... maybe they're KYBs. All suspension mounting points look strong and unmolested (those that I could see). There's some minor surface rust discoloration.... like orange dust on some parts.... wouldn't stop me, but you should know about it.

Engine bay-EVERYTHING SEEMS LIKE IT'S THERE AND WORKING!!! This was a new experience for me. It has 2.0L heads. The hell hole looks like it was cleaned out fairly recently, but I couldn't see any major damage down there with the flash light. Battery was in place. Typical oil leak under the car......

Interior-Very nice..... maybe the best part of the car. Rubber seals, while not new, may actually seal out some of the water.

Driving experience-The car was driven over to my house, so I don't know how it starts cold. But, it restarted easily. Right rear brake disc has major roughness issues... maybe because it hasn't been driven enough or the disc and/or pads need to be replaced. It shifts as well as any 914 I've driven. It hits all gears and doesn't pop out of gear (at least it didn't on my short trip). It accelerates well, but nothing amazing. No missing, idles well, revs up to 5500 no problem. Seems like it could use a bit more timing for some more pull at the higher RPMs.... but I haven't driven an injected stock-ish motor in many years. Dynamically, it seems great. The dampers are doing their jobs, steering is nice.

I don't know what this would be worth to you or how much you value your dollar, but I think this is a pretty solid car. Other than the rear brakes, I don't think it needs any major work at this time.

Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to take a look. Now, I have to talk to the wife to see what she thinks about it! One part I didn't understand was: Chassis-Rear bar car... nice. Rear dampers are white. Maybe some aftermarket crap.....never seen white before.... maybe they're KYBs - I am not familiar with what you are referring to.

If I decide to buy it, I would try to drive it home - about 350 miles. Sounds to me like it is a solid car and shouldn't be a problem.

I will try to contact you later by PM.

Thanks again.

Warrenoliver

jim912928
Warren,

I'm also in Wisconsin (just west of milwaukee right of 94). If you get it and come this way I have some repair manuals you can borrow for the trip. I also have shop manuals in pdf format.

Jim
groot
This car had a rear stabilizer bar... I believe it was optional? It's cool that it had the parts installed, though. And the rear dampers....all I'm saying is that I didn't recognize the rear dampers (shocks). Maybe they were original, I'm not sure.

I guess it would make it back to WI, but you can't always be sure. It sure seems solid enough that parts wouldn't go flying off of it or anything. Let's put it this way.... I'd drive it to WI.

It was a treat to see a 30+ year old car with all the stuff still installed on it. Hell, even the heater fan worked.
warrenoliver
Jim,

Thanks for the offer. If I get it, I will need all the help I can get! It will sure be good to meet some of the guys in this area. I really appreciate all the help I have received so far. If I get it, I will let you know. I am sure I will want some advice on good local mechanics/shops.

Warrenoliver
KaptKaos
Looks like a good car local to you. Please let me know how the deal goes!

Good Luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.