Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Discolored glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
Looks like butyl discolored all around my windshield, 1/2 inch.

I don't have a crap load of solvents on hand, would MEK on a cotton swab do anything, ya think? Hammer? Nibbler?

Hmm..

M
JWest
One small thermo-nuclear device should take care of it. blink.gif
redshift
QUOTE(James Adams @ Nov 11 2003, 06:14 PM)
One small thermo-nuclear device should take care of it. blink.gif

In one word, or less: Describe Small.

M
JWest

But since I can only use 1 word, you have to figure out the units yourself...
redshift
You could have used smileys to paint an indian story.

unsure.gif smash.gif sad.gif ohmy.gif huh.gif clap56.gif wub.gif boldblue.gif smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif

M
JWest
How about a sharp razor blade and scrape it off?

Oh, and:
unsure.gif blink.gif wavey.gif boldblue.gif clap56.gif lol2.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif idea.gif icon14.gif w00t.gif headbang.gif smash.gif cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
how about:

smash.gif headbang.gif smash.gif headbang.gif icon8.gif beer3.gif idea.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif w00t.gif boldblue.gif
GWN7
Could it be the glass is delaminating? Milky white discolouration? If so replace glass. Need pictures.....oh wait....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

There that's better smile.gif
redshift
You all suck... oh hold on!

idea.gif :dhead: :dhead: :dhead: splat.gif chair.gif pain30.gif bootyshake.gif nuke.gif pain30.gif

It's stained, like tar bleeding oil.

M
GWN7
Bleeding oil? Did you wipe your windows with WD40? Or store the car in a plastic bag with solvents? (Heard that stops rust) laugh.gif

beerchug.gif beer3.gif beer.gif givemebeer.gif dance.gif
davep
Without a better description of the problem, I'm just guessing: the windshield is safety glass, two layers of glass with a sheet of plastic film in between. If the sealant were to discolor the plastic film it would appear the glass is tinted. That is how you get tinted windshields, the plastic layer is tinted and/or shaded.

DaveP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.