Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To repaint, or not
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
You're looking at my original '70 f. trunk. What you can't see real clearly are the broken paint blisters in the bottom of the trunk. Some of them show grey metal inside, some show a light rust coating. The "texture" of the sealing material will be kept intact, but otherwise refinish or no? confused24.gif Your input and comments are very welcome.
Pat Garvey
You already knw my response. Clean it up & paint it. Also see my PM
Pat
Bleyseng
Leave it as its "Factory" and shows how the original finish looks not some "Perfect" $20k paint that wasn't "Factory". These cars weren't perfect to begin with as they were fun "inexpensive" cars including the 914/6's not 911's,

I really don't like the "10" paint jobs as they are so much better than original paint.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 21 2006, 11:26 PM) *

Leave it as its "Factory" and shows how the original finish looks not some "Perfect" $20k paint that wasn't "Factory". These cars weren't perfect to begin with as they were fun "inexpensive" cars including the 914/6's not 911's,

I really don't like the "10" paint jobs as they are so much better than original paint.

Geoff,

He's only painting the bottom section. And admits that there are blisters in the original paint, which will lead to corrosion at some point. Since he's painting the car anyway, why not take care of a potential problem area at the same time?

He's not repainting the whole compartment - only the bottom & probably only because of the blisters.

I see it as a matter of economics. Guy's already painting - why not have him clean up the bottom & get rid of a problem area at the same time. It's what I'd do, in fact - did, in 1979. Good decision on my part - it's perfect today.
Porsche Rescue
Two different questions. His post does not say he is painting the car.
If so, do the trunk (all or part). Keeping that original while painting the exterior makes no difference. With an exterior repaint it is not original anymore.

If he is considering only painting the trunk, while keeping the exterior original, Geoff is right on.
914-8
I agree, if the exterior of the car is being repainted, even partially, I'd probably go ahead and redo the bottom of the trunk to fix the blisters.

If the car is otherwise all original paint, I would first see if the corrosion under the blisters is getting worse. I assume this is not a car that sees a lot of moisture anymore and the corrosion is minor and not spreading quickly.

But assuming that the corrosion is getting worse, I'd do the minimum refinishing possible to fix those spots, and leave the rest as original as possible. There just aren't a lot of 36 year old unrestored Porsches around anymore.
dcheek
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You can go round and round on this subject. I remember in the mid 70's when I joined the Porsche Club there was a guy with a 914-6 that was otherwise perfect except for the big dent on the passenger door. Being a rookie to the hobby I asked, "Why don't you fix the dent?" His reply, "I want to keep it original." Back then I just couldn't understand where he was coming from. Now I do, but let's be reasonable. Unless your car is a museum piece, sh_t happens when you drive it. Some of the imperfections you can live with, some you have to fix to preserve the car. I emphasize the word preserve because, after all, the 914 series has been out of production for 30+ years. Keeping it original to the point where things will start to disintigrate would be counterproductive. Just keep in mind that repaints and alterations of any kind in the PCA Preservation Class at the Parade Concours will be clobbered by the Judges. If that level of competition is not your cup of tea, paint on!

Dave
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914-8 @ Nov 23 2006, 12:41 AM) *

I agree, if the exterior of the car is being repainted, even partially, I'd probably go ahead and redo the bottom of the trunk to fix the blisters.

If the car is otherwise all original paint, I would first see if the corrosion under the blisters is getting worse. I assume this is not a car that sees a lot of moisture anymore and the corrosion is minor and not spreading quickly.

But assuming that the corrosion is getting worse, I'd do the minimum refinishing possible to fix those spots, and leave the rest as original as possible. There just aren't a lot of 36 year old unrestored Porsches around anymore.

Read his earlier posts. This car is under near-total resto.

But, he wants to keep little scars from 30+ years of owning/travelling. Not questioning repainting the ENTIRE trunk area, just the bottom third. I've done the same (27 years ago & it worked for me).

I think the right thing do do is to get rid of problem areas when you're in for a near-total resto. Why have to come back to the paint shop after you've already cleaned up the mess from the paint shop? Git 'er done - once.
914-8
I haven't seen his other posts, but now knowing that the car is under a near total restore, I think it's a no-brainer to properly and completely fix the problem areas in the trunk. Fix and repaint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.