Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front hood shocks? Do they work ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brad Roberts
Not sure where this kit came from?

Is this acceptable? Is this really how they are supposed to work?

Thoughts?

SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 20 2006, 12:30 PM) *

Not sure where this kit came from?
Is this acceptable? Is this really how they are supposed to work?
Thoughts?

i've done mine that way for 4 years now, no problems what-so-ever. that was before any kits ...

craig is selling a kit now, but his uses all nice and shiny brackets ...

here's my home-made solution, just two long bolts and a few nuts, nothing special. hasn't failed yet ...
smile.gif Andy
swood
I just did mine last weekend and they move around a bit at the point of opening or closing. I need to make a more rigid connection as that movement cant be good for the attachment point. Other than that it is fantastic.
Brad Roberts
I know Andy!! I was there when you did it..LOL

I think this is a Craig kit biggrin.gif

Notice that your shocks were not strong enough to BEND the metal that typically holds the springs. This looks like SHIT now because of it. It cracked the paint and so forth.

The kit is nice with it's brackets and such.. but I think the struts are too strong for the application.

B
GaroldShaffer
I had a set for a year and went back to springs. I found that the ones I had were fine once the hood was open about 1/2 way, but before the half open mark there was no tension so if you were not paying attention the hood "could" drop closed hard, which has happen before to the wife, hence gong back to springs.
Brad Roberts
I'm concerned that it will "work" the metal and break off sooner or later. This wouldnt be a big deal if you didnt have to open the hood to put gas in the car!

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 20 2006, 12:40 PM) *

but I think the struts are too strong for the application.

mine are generic 911 front hood shocks ...
smile.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Nov 20 2006, 12:42 PM) *

I found that the ones I had were fine once the hood was open about 1/2 way, but before the half open mark there was no tension

that's how they all work.
for me, no big deal at all, took me all of 5 minutes to get used to.

i really like the fact that the hood now opens all the way and stays there!

no sagging, have to hold it open with one hand while pumping gas crap no more ...
piratenanner.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
Andy,

I had parted out a 84 Carrera and kept all the hood shocks from that car. Do you recall if you picked them out of our stash of parts at one of the shops?

mine are generic 911 front hood shocks

B
PRS914-6
Brad, before paint, I did this......Heavier than stock metal
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
I used two big washers to shore up the mount. No worries after that. Or, you could use a piece of flat iron. It aint a hard problem to fix, but I agree that it is not a desirable side effect of the installation/usage.
2-OH!
I have Craig's kit...You have to re-inforce the metal tabs or the metal works and will eventually bend off and break...

I've been meaning to send him a suggestion to lengthen the ball joint fitting threads and add reinforcing strips of some sort (in the kit) to sandwich the original spring bracket, but I have not done it...

2-OH!

Brad Roberts
Thanks Paul beerchug.gif

I was'nt involved with the paint & body work on this tub, just the engine/electrical nightmare..LOL

I like the 2-OH non weld approach with capturing the spring hangers between two pieces of metal. The large washer suggested by Mike is similar in thought.

Craig.. you watching ?? listening??

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 20 2006, 12:52 PM) *

I had parted out a 84 Carrera and kept all the hood shocks from that car. Do you recall if you picked them out of our stash of parts at one of the shops?

yes, i recall. and no, not from your stash ...

i bought mine from EASY ...
smile.gif Andy
Elliot_Cannon
I reinforced mine with a small piece of steel and an extra bolt. Works great.
Elliot_Cannon
Brad Roberts
Thanks Elllliot!!

B
Brad Roberts
yes, i recall. and no, not from your stash ...

i bought mine from EASY ...
Andy

I was trying to figure out what year you might have used. I dont like using non-stock wearable items that will need to be replaced over time. I would rather use factory Porsche parts.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 20 2006, 04:40 PM) *

I was trying to figure out what year you might have used. I dont like using non-stock wearable items that will need to be replaced over time. I would rather use factory Porsche parts.

no idea on the year, we just went through the big pile and picked two that were still working.

if i recall correctly, john said something to the effect that there are only two different types used on a 911 over the years ...
idea.gif Andy
boxstr
A metal tab similar to the one Elliot has is in the works. It appears in the pic that you provided Brad that the ball is at the furtherest back opening, it should be in the middle.
CLLINTHEDARK
Brad Roberts
Thanks Craig. We will move it up and fab some small brackets for support.

We also need to teach you how to make a nice downloadable .pdf for your customers with install pics!! .. biggrin.gif

B
boxstr
Stainless steel bolt on brackets similar to the ones Paul S welded on are very much in the works. I supplied Paul with new ball sockets so that he could fab the brackets that he welded in.
I would be happy to setup a better installation tutorial. Show me the way.
CCL
neo914-6
My car had no spring brackets since Bill P cut them off so I asked Craig for extra L brackets like the ones in his rear kit which he graciously supplied... clap56.gif
swood
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 20 2006, 09:39 PM) *

Stainless steel bolt on brackets similar to the ones Paul S welded on are very much in the works. I supplied Paul with new ball sockets so that he could fab the brackets that he welded in.
CCL

Cool. Let me know when they're available because I still can't get mine adjusted just right. I think in time it will break the stock bracket.
cbenitah
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 20 2006, 09:39 PM) *

CCL

You write it and I can design and make it for you. Pictures and everything. Would be my pleasure since I do recognize the above named car ph34r.gif
boxstr
Stevo Did you move the shock to the other side of the lower fender bracket and to the middle slot?
Christopher, thank you for the offer. Let me get the additional brackets and I will get back to you then.
CCLIN ???
swood
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 20 2006, 10:56 PM) *

Stevo Did you move the shock to the other side of the lower fender bracket and to the middle slot?
Christopher, thank you for the offer. Let me get the additional brackets and I will get back to you then.
CCLIN ???

Yes Sir. It seems the right side is worse than the left, but they should be more rigid nonetheless. Overall, they rock. I think a better solution is necessary for the bottom mount. It hasn't been said yet, but I did have to open up the notch a bit to fit the bolt. It was only about 1/16" or so. I could see if it was much more it would contribute more to the problem.

type.gif smash.gif
Spoke
I had the same trouble with my shocks. I got a piece of angle iron and drilled a hole to support the spring bracket.

Spoke
1970 Neun vierzehn
I'm puzzled (or clueless); why are you bothering with these struts? Even though this (factory) design is almost 37 years old now, on my '70, it still works fine. The design strikes me as simple, light-weight, unobtrusive and space efficient.
snflupigus
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 21 2006, 08:00 AM) *

I'm puzzled (or clueless); why are you bothering with these struts? Even though this (factory) design is almost 37 years old now, on my '70, it still works fine. The design strikes me as simple, light-weight, unobtrusive and space efficient.

thats what I was thinkin...
Spoke
The springs on my red 71 were stretched to the point where even on the furthest bracket setting, they won't hold up the trunk lid all the way. After hitting my head on the trunk lid when it dropped about 1 foot after opening, I bought the shock kit.

Spoke
cbenitah
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 20 2006, 10:56 PM) *

CCLIN ???

sounds good. oh btw its my car in the first picture if that wasn't obvious. Just PM or email me the info when you get it

SirAndy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 21 2006, 08:48 AM) *

The springs on my red 71 were stretched to the point where even on the furthest bracket setting, they won't hold up the trunk lid all the way. After hitting my head on the trunk lid when it dropped about 1 foot after opening, I bought the shock kit.

agree.gif same here. the original springs were just worn out, even on the strongest setting, the hood would only stay open ~2/3 and the smallest bit of wind would make it flop around.

got the 911 hood shocks and never looked back. now it opens 100% and *stays* there!
smile.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
agree.gif " same here. the original springs were just worn out, even on the strongest setting,"
Andy

Gee, how do you wear springs out? Am I not opening my hood often enough? poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 21 2006, 12:27 PM) *

Gee, how do you wear springs out? Am I not opening my hood often enough? poke.gif

you need to ask that question to the (unknown) previous owners of my car ... cool_shades.gif

not all POs are created equal!
rolleyes.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
Trailer queens and concourse weenies need not apply..LOL

I like the fact that the hood opens ALL the way. I'm 6'1, putting gas in a lowered 914 SUCKS as I get older biggrin.gif and the hood half hanging in my face is no fun.

They are not for everyone.

B
East coaster
I also don't miss the creaky haunted house sounds the stock springs made when I opened the trunk. The gas station guy used to say it sounded like his attic stairs being pulled down!

I like my gas springs.......front and rear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.