Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not enough stroke?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tradisrad
About 8 years ago I bought a motor from GEX. The motor never ran well as it had low compression. I took the heads off of it this evening and I dont think the motor was built with the right crank.
The first picture is of the GEX piston, it is clear that the piston does not travel near the end of the cylinder, one can see the wear line. The second picture is of the piston from the 2.0 that spun a rod bearing ( http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/tra.../DSCN4027-1.jpg ), it is clear the the piston travels very close to the end of the cylinder.
Any thoughts?
IPB Image

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 20 2006, 09:01 PM) *

GEX

barf.gif

low compression bus pistons ... icon8.gif

just checked on my 2.0L jugs, the top of the piston travels to about 4mm below the top of the cylinder.

that's way higher than in your pic. looks like you got hosed ...
unsure.gif Andy
Jake Raby
Those are not Bus pistons.. They are 914 pistons, more than likely an econo set..
It appears that the top ring is dropped down from the crown a long way... from the pics as it looks like the deck is tight, but the carbon ring goes a ways into the cylinder. Make sure if you rering that engine to remove that carbon ring or it'll break the new top rings..
messix
jake i think he saying that pic one is of the gex engine with wrong piston for stroke of crank. the second pic is of a different engine.
tradisrad
messix, you got it right the top pic is of the GEX engine the bottom pic is the engine I am going to rebuild.
I took the heads off of the GEX engine (top pic) to compare them to the "factory" heads. I instantly noticed the large ring of carbon at the end of the piston travel (pic 1). I did not notice a ring of carbon on the other piston (pic 2) as the travel went very close to the end of the piston. I am not planning on pulling the rest of the gex engine apart at the time, I was hoping to get some club insight on what may be wrong w/o taking the engine apart. I am going to keep the GEX engine for some future use...
I was thinking that the engine has the wrong crank and that is why the travel stop so far from the head, and therefor giving the low compression. I suppose it could be the wrong pistons on the GEX motor, they have the number "80" stamped on them..
thanks for the replies
-Rob
Mueller
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 21 2006, 07:02 AM) *

messix, you got it right the top pic is of the GEX engine the bottom pic is the engine I am going to rebuild.
I took the heads off of the GEX engine (top pic) to compare them to the "factory" heads. I instantly noticed the large ring of carbon at the end of the piston travel (pic 1). I did not notice a ring of carbon on the other piston (pic 2) as the travel went very close to the end of the piston. I am not planning on pulling the rest of the gex engine apart at the time, I was hoping to get some club insight on what may be wrong w/o taking the engine apart. I am going to keep the GEX engine for some future use...
I was thinking that the engine has the wrong crank and that is why the travel stop so far from the head, and therefor giving the low compression. I suppose it could be the wrong pistons on the GEX motor, they have the number "80" stamped on them..
thanks for the replies
-Rob

1. Rotate suspect motor to TDC, you are just speculating with the current picture, it could be that the piston does not travel far enough or like Jake said, the rings could be further down the piston

2. It easy to measure the crank, just measure when the piston is at the top, then rotate to the bottom, use a flat edge across the cylinder top and a scale

Mike T
popcorn[1].gif
tradisrad
Mueller, I'll measure them this afternoon... I did not even think of measuring them last night.
-Rob
Mueller
only 2 stock stroke numbers....

66mm for 1.7/1.8 motors

71mm for 2.0 motors
messix
looks like it's ready to turbo to me! biggrin.gif
tradisrad
thanks for the measurements for the strok, I'll get to checking later and post back..
-Rob
JPB
QUOTE(messix @ Nov 22 2006, 02:33 AM) *

looks like it's ready to turbo to me! biggrin.gif

agree.gif Low compression = TURBO!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.