Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Rubber Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
Don't know if this has been posted before but...like some of you I will soon be faced with having to locate a new targa seal. Being born a poor white child and having not married into money has made me a resourceful geek. So, today I got this idea to try and revitalize my slightly oxidized and roted targa seal with a little black silicone. It works pretty good! But, here's the trick...I gently wiped the seal with rubbing alcohol to clean the years of oxidation and "armour all". I then worked the silicone into the seal by massaging it (rubber gloves help) making sure all the cracks were filled. I let it sit for about 10 minutes (this is not the quick dry type) and then wiped it down with a shop paper towel. After wipping the rubber for about 10 minutes the shiney look of the silicone began to turn "flat" like the natural rubber look. Now that it's dry it looks great and all of the cracks are sealed and the rubber itself has a "new" feel to it! Now we'll have to see if it stands the test of time.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Glycerin works great and is cheap (drug stores carry it). I wouldn't recommend using alcohol (or acetone or xylene or gasoline) as it will dry out the seal.
eric914
This post is worthless without pictures!!
ahdoman
QUOTE(eric914 @ Nov 21 2006, 05:07 AM) *

This post is worthless without pictures!!

Have you ever tried to take a close up pic of a black rubber with a digital camera? The old vs. the new pic looked exactly the same. The post with pics would have been worthless.
914werke
Not sure Im following dry.gif
Silicone spray lubricant should have no effect on "cracked" or "rotted" rubber huh.gif
SLKWrx
I think he's talking about Black Silicone gasket maker (i.e. RTV Black), not lubricant
highways
Clarifications please! More details... and you just need a really bright light up close to the rubber in order to get a pic to come out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.