Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removal of Targa Trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
OK, I seem to be turning and turning the screwdriver, but am unable to get the targa trim to come loose.

So what is the trick? Trying not to damage anything even though this piece is severely cracked all over.

The piece I am trying to get loose is in this image (hope it attaches).
Rusty
Yeah, those screws can be aggravating.

Sounds like you may have stripped the screws themselves, or simply the heads. Can you see the top of each screw? On mine, they were difficult to see 'cause of the roll bar padding.

-Rusty smoke.gif
boxsterfan
Yes, I can see the screws and the heads appear OK.

I can get my screwdriver on them, but they seem to turn and turn. Kind of feels like the roll bar padding is in the way from the letting the screw "naturally" turn out.
boxstr
Remove the pieces on the sides where the mini clothes hanger is located and the the pieces where the hooks come up and out, 2 screws in each. Then get every phillips head screw driver that you own and then some. Also a flashlight, you need to be able to see the screw head.
These are the worst to try and remove. They are basically a feel type of screw. You will get them out, but make sure you do get them out, if you leave one just kind of hanging in there it will keep you from removing the targa piece.
I speak from much experience.
CCLINREMOVALCITY
3d914
boxterfan,

If I remember correctly, there are like a dozen screws that hold that piece in. You must also remove the rear targa latches.

The screws may just turn because once they're loose the foam inside the trim holds them in place. If you loosen all the screws, remove the pieces mentioned previously, you should be able to slide it forward & off.

Good luck,
boxsterfan
Ok, I give up. How do I get the rear targa latches off? I see some 10mm bolts way up in there that appear to be holding the "bracket" to the body.

Otherwise, I appear to have all of the screws either loose or out (4 of them out, the rest are just loose and won't come out of the foam).
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 12 2003, 03:43 PM)
Ok, I give up. How do I get the rear targa latches off? I see some 10mm bolts way up in there that appear to be holding the "bracket" to the body.

ratched with 10mm nut for one screw, 10mm wrench for the other. wink.gif
move the "lever" so you can get to the bolts.

but if i recall right, the trim comes off first!
Andy
SirAndy
did you get all the screws? maybe you forgot some on the underside. look and see if you missed one of the black round plastic covers.

Andy
Aaron Cox
when in doubt...use a BFH smash.gif lol
boxsterfan
Maybe I should just rip this trim out of there? It is in such bad shape that it is going to be replaced anyways. I guess the question is....are these replaced as a whole unit or just re-finished at an upholsery shop?

...can I get a definitive answer on the targa latch? Does it come out before, with, or after the trim? It sure looks like it comes out after....

Back to talking to myself in the garage... chatsmiley.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I had a hell of a time getting mine out, thought of the BFH a lot. Check that you have all the screws out on the under side of it. Also there are two screws( nuts?) per latch that hald it directly to the car. I finally gave up and used a BF Screw Driver
and pryed it off. I found the P.O. had sloped up the back with some kind of adhesive. I wound up cutting to into parts to get it off. Also get your self the next size bigger screws( length and size) you probably have rounded them out. Good luck Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.