Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Input needed on metal foglight grills
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
I have a source for metal foglight grills, but the developmental costs to make them are high. I want to know if there is enough interest in these before I go ahead with them.

As to costs, they will be more than the current price for the plastic ones.

Picture is of the plastic ones for reference

Lou W
Yahoo, I got to vote first. Chrome drooley.gif
mrhurtalot
chrome all the way baby
gms
If these are made of aluminum or alum. alloy I am in.
I would like 1 chrome & 1 to paint

I am not interested in steel or plastic
914werke
If they WILL be more expensive , whats the advantage? Are they less fragile to rock hits?
GWN7
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 21 2006, 09:11 AM) *

If they WILL be more expensive , whats the advantage? Are they less fragile to rock hits?

yes, less fragile to hits and the chrome won't peel off due to the sand blast effect of dust from the roads
boxstr
Dealer cost for plastic is @ $150. each, more than that ???
CCLINBTDT
GWN7
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 21 2006, 09:24 AM) *

Dealer cost for plastic is @ $150. each, more than that ???
CCLINBTDT

I was looking at the pricing on the Birds site (which is less then the dealer cost you quoted) when I mentioned pricing. As I haven't nailed down all the costs I didn't want to say they would be X and have them come in as more.
markb
Hasn't bondo started work on aluminum ones of these?
G e o r g e
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 21 2006, 09:56 AM) *

thread for bondo

I believe you are correct

GWN7
QUOTE(George H. @ Nov 21 2006, 10:02 AM) *

Click to view attachment

thread for bondo

Your both correct and I spoke to him before posting this thread. If you notice these are two different parts.

I started looking into this over a year ago but let it drop when someone else expressed a interest in doing them but nothing happened.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 21 2006, 11:06 AM) *

Your both correct and I spoke to him before posting this thread.

Bruce,

you are a real team player rocking nana.gif mueba.gif piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Pat Garvey
Definitely interested, depending on price of course. Similar pricing to plastic is OK.
rhodyguy
good luck on this one bruce. the $1200 fee for pattern work alone, drove me away from this venture. how are you going to *chrome* the aluminum? notice the cleanup still required (gate, parting line flash, etc) on the picture george posted. hours of work...

k
GWN7
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 22 2006, 07:49 AM) *

good luck on this one bruce. the $1200 fee for pattern work alone, drove me away from this venture. how are you going to *chrome* the aluminum? notice the cleanup still required (gate, parting line flash, etc) on the picture george posted. hours of work...

k

Kev,

the pattern fee is actually more (but it's in CDN $), hence why I'm asking if there is enough interest. As to the clean up, there is a easy way to do it that dosen't involve third world countrys or prison labour. The pieces are polished at the same time making painting or plating possible.
JPB
Making them out of metal would be very time consuming but if you made a mould and made them out of resin and FG mat, they would be perfect and paintable with laybour time about 30 min. each. thumb3d.gif
GWN7
I done little FG work except to repair the keel on a fg boat, but I can't see any way to make them out of FG. How would you get the mat to lay down properly? As you think it would only take 30 min. to make one please do so and post the results.

Making them out of metal allows the bonding of the chrome to take place properly so the chrome won't peel like they do on the plastic one now.

I could make them out of plastic, but why reinvent the wheel. Unless they become NLA
bondo
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 21 2006, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(George H. @ Nov 21 2006, 10:02 AM) *

Click to view attachment

thread for bondo

Your both correct and I spoke to him before posting this thread. If you notice these are two different parts.

I started looking into this over a year ago but let it drop when someone else expressed a interest in doing them but nothing happened.

Yup, Bruce is taking on the foglight version, and I'm doing the non-fog version. My method isn't all that well suited to the foglight version.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.