Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid electrical question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
I was wondering what the two fuses on the electrical panel inside the engine bay do? I'm at work so i can't post the picture and I've had no luck searching either.

I didn't see any connectors attached to them so I figured they were spares, but that doesnt make sense now since there are only two in there.

anyone know what those are for?

(if no one know wtf i'm talking about, i'll post pics later:))
Mike D.
One is for the fuel pump and heater fan and the rear defrost. Don't remember what the other is for, maybe nothing: good place to keep a spare....

So if your driving along and pull up the heat lever and the car dies, then the fan is shorting and blew the fuse in the relay board. BTDT.
SirAndy
i've got two words for you:

"haynes manual"

biggrin.gif

it's got full page diagrams of the relay board ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
biosurfer1
ya, i have the haynes manual, but all it says on that diagram is "Fuse" for both of them...not much help

one of the fuses is fine, the other is blown, making me think it has to be for something because it is not the same size as the other fuse, and its also blown, and why would someone store a blown fuse...but then again, people have done stranger things.
SirAndy
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 21 2006, 10:18 AM) *

ya, i have the haynes manual, but all it says on that diagram is "Fuse" for both of them...not much help

uhm, no it doesn't! cool_shades.gif

Page 147:
#91: Fuses for rear window heater, heater blower, gasoline pump

simply look at the diagram to see which one is which ... rolleyes.gif

top fuse (towards front of car)
- 8A
- get's 12V from Pin 8 at the main harness connector, which goes to Fuse #8 on the main fuse-block
- power is routed to Pin 9 on the engine harness connector, which is unused. (might be used on sport-o-matic models!)

bottom fuse (towards rear of car)
- 25A
- get's 12V from Pin 14 at the main harness connector, which goes straight to the battery
- powers relay 52 (top most of the 4, optional) for the rear window heater
- powers relay 75 (2nd from bottom) for the gasoline pump
- powers relay 55 (bottom) for the heater blower

all the info in this post was extracted from the haynes manual pages 147 - 150 ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: the 4th relay (#74, 2nd from top) is for the power supply and is *not* connected to any of the two fuses ...
biosurfer1
thanks for the info...they must have two different diagrams because the one i looked at pointed out all of the relays and thier function, but just pointed to the fuses.

strange that the 25A fuse was blown, yet it says it powers the relay for the gas pump, wouldnt that make the car not run??? heater blower and defroster i could care less about though...
SirAndy
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 21 2006, 10:45 AM) *

strange that the 25A fuse was blown, yet it says it powers the relay for the gas pump, wouldnt that make the car not run??? heater blower and defroster i could care less about though...

yupp, it sure would ...

often, people disconnect the heater blower and just wrap the wires with tape, not knowing that the same fuse also powers the fuel pump.

make *sure* you don't have a short in the wires to the heater blower or window defroster!
smash.gif Andy
biosurfer1
will do..thanks for the help
swl
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 21 2006, 10:45 AM) *

strange that the 25A fuse was blown, yet it says it powers the relay for the gas pump, wouldnt that make the car not run???

Perhaps someone hot wired the fuel pump? Seems to me I've read several threads where that had been done. Common pickup point is usually the coil? bad idea imho. Unfused power is bad. At least in the d-jet(don't know ljet) the stock wiring also shuts off the fuel pump if the engine stops turning (think accident with the ignition still on.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.