Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning my rims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
Looks like my 4 lug fuchs had some stick on wheel weights put on the outside at one point dry.gif

They were removed, but the glue / adhesive that was used is still on there. I was able to get alot of it off using a razor blade, but couldn't get the last 25% off. I tried wd40, and even alittle brake cleaner, but it didn't come off.

Anyone have an idea that won't kill my rim?
Bartlett 914
There are probably a lot things tha will work. I use a solvent cleaner made by Claire. I'm sure you can find it unter some other name. It contains trichlorethylene (79-01-6). It evaporates quickly so you still need to work it a little and often but it is O.K. for sticky adhesive residue.
So.Cal.914
I have used this stuff called Goof-Off, put it in a rag and hold it on for a minute or

so. Also theres a product called Goo Gone that works ok.
Brad Roberts
SoCal nailed it.

Goof-Off or Goo Gone

SOAK IT.. soak it good with the stuff. It will wipe right off and you will find lots of uses for it later.

We use this all over the factory Porsche race cars to get rubber off the graphics and to clean the wheel weight glue off (we tape the weights on)

B
Pat Garvey
I'm in for Goo Gone. Provided the top layer is even slightly porous, the GG will seep through & eliminate the adhesive qualities below. Be patient & liberal with GG. Let it soak for 30 minutes & you'll be able to wipe the whole mess right off.

Put away that razor blade, before you metal!
terrymason
I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks for the tips guys. I actually have some goof off in the garage - hadn't thought to use it.
Cap'n Krusty
We used both Goof Off and Goo Gone side by side on a Mercedes hood pad. Goof Off won hands down. The Cap'n
Michael N
Goo Gone is citrus based and works well but not too harsh.

Goof Off is toluene based.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.