Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car buying laws in Washington state
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Suddenly ran into a snag. The guy that I am buying the car from in Seattle can't find the title to the car. My buddy is scheduled to pick up car on Saturday. I will haul the car back on the 25th of Nov.

He says it has current registration. What paper work is there to prove this in WA. I am sort of clueless on this one and might pull out of the deal at the 1st hint of a problem.

I have sent him $500.00 deposit, he received it and the check cleared. My buddy has the balance and is ready to go.

current owner says 4 to 6 weeks for replacement title. CRAP !!!!!!!!! I am ready to drive 6000 miles round trip to get car next week.

HELP Ya'll
Porsche Rescue
I would be very nervous unless you can get proof that the title is in his name. Registration alone does not prove that he has clear title (in Oregon a lien holder does not appear on the registration, not sure about WA). You (or your buddy) should be able to confirm legal owner with WA DMV using the VIN. If the seller has clear title to the car and gives you a bill of sale you are probably OK, presuming he follows through and applies for and receives a new title. It will still be in his name and you will have to rely on him signing it off and sending it to you. A few weeks of uncertainty at the least.
seanery
get a bill of sale and do a title check and you should be safe
Joe Ricard
owner is faxing me the info WED morning. I will call WA. DMV from my cell phone at lunch. Ya'll wouldn't have the number would you?

It is amazing how quiclky people answer Emails when you holler in CAPS and point out the facts of life. ar15.gif
seanery
Washington Licensing
Joe Bob
AAA....they cut through the crap....
seanery
AAA doesn't do it in all states.
You're lucky that CA is one of them.
ChrisReale
If I was not moving to Cali this weekend, I would do some sniffing around for you...
boxstr
Chris Where are you moving to in Calif.??
I am not to sure what to say on the title deal. I would think a bill of sale and title search through the State of Washington should be helpful. I guess you have to make the call and either back out or follow through with the transaction and hope for the best.
Good luck. Keep us posted.
CCLINTITLETOWN
Brad Roberts
I went to do title work on a car I sold (big mistake).. Ca. wants me to have a Ca. drivers license before they will even talk to me about it. So.. looks like I finally have to give up my TX DL.

B
rhodyguy
call the guy and tell him to go any liciening agency and get a replacement title. it takes about 5 minutes after you stand in line. there are new laws enacted this year. if you buy and there is a lien or the title isn't clear you will be on the hook and no change until things are remedied. i would put things on hold til this matter is resolved. i don't know, but, you don't want to get it home and then possibly become a car thief or just have the car sit in the garage. the buyer must have id to change title in wa too. no proxy buyers. if the title will have 2 names on it both new owners must be there and show id.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.