Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top rattles when I drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
Hi,

The back of top rattles when I'm driving down the road. Can it adjusted so it's tigther and wouldn't rattle?
IronHillRestorations
One trick is to put a piece of vacuum hose over the latch pin on the roof. How are the seals?
william harris
Well the rear latches can be adjusted on the top so they line up well with the latch mechanism. This is usually not a problem. This sounds like a problem with the rubber seals on the top - probably worn out.
HeloMech
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 21 2006, 02:36 PM) *

One trick is to put a piece of vacuum hose over the latch pin on the roof. How are the seals?

That's a good idea... though, I don't know if I can remember the last time I drove with the top ON the car.... piratenanner.gif
chris914
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 21 2006, 02:36 PM) *

The rubber hose worked good. Thanks! The seals are a little flat. Maybe some day I will replace them.
majkos
Dude! You live in Kalifornia, go TOPLESS!

Like Mrs K ! wub.gif (From Henna of course)
chris914
QUOTE(majkos @ Nov 22 2006, 05:06 PM) *

Dude! You live in Kalifornia, go TOPLESS!

Like Mrs K ! wub.gif (From Henna of course)

My car is faster with the top and windows up.

http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/a...aids/index.html
Porsche Rescue
If you continue to get a squeek/rattle from the rear of the top, remove it and lube the rectangular plastic blocks on the top that contact the targa bar.
I once drove 2000 miles while listening to the annoying rattle. Later learned that if I had inserted a piece of paper/dollar bill under the block it would have temporarily quieted things down. Lubing the blocks with a bit of grease/Vaseline does the trick.
Elliot_Cannon
Put the roof in the rear trunk. If it rattles you won't hear it. LOL

Elliot
Howard
Folded towel on the targa bar. Adds positive ventilation and creates downforce. blink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
try some talc, or glycerine on the rubber seal. In a pinch, bar soap will work for a couple a weeks. Check the latches for wear.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 23 2006, 06:54 AM) *

Folded towel on the targa bar. Adds positive ventilation and creates downforce. blink.gif

Won't the flapping towel make as much or more noise than the squeeking top?

Elliot
SGB
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 23 2006, 11:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 23 2006, 06:54 AM) *

Won't the flapping towel make as much or more noise than the squeeking top?

Elliot

But you get that "scarf in the wind" look, like the famous ww1 fighter ace, Snoopy
Howard
Fold it, ya dorks. KMA.gif
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 24 2006, 07:23 AM) *

Fold it, ya dorks. KMA.gif

OK. So how many times do I need to fold the towel? Should I use a bath towel or a dish towel or a face towel? Should it be installed between the two roof latches or do I need to make holes in the towel?
Elliot
SGB
I think Porsh has a golf towel in the LL Porsh catalog.
vertigo
I have used shrink tubing over the hook part of the latch. I tried vac. hose, but it was too tight then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.