Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did I Goof This Up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
Put new Bils and 140lb Welt springs on but I think I must have set the perch too high. I set it a the 3rd down from the top of the shock.

Did I goof this up?

Kev
HeloMech
depends, we expecting rain? wink.gif

Need to do mine too... what's the dealio y'all? smile.gif
So.Cal.914
Depends, do you 4X4 much?

With new springs that seems about right for where you have the perches set.

If you don't like it lower it and then do the front. But watch out for those high

speed bumps and steep driveways. Just spraying the wheel wells flat black

would help shrink the gap.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kconway @ Nov 21 2006, 08:07 PM) *

Did I goof this up?

did you roll the car several feet back/forth afterwards?
did you zip-tie the top of the springs to make sure they're setaed correctly on the top?
did you doublecheck that the springs are setaed correctly on the perch?
how long are the springs?
how many notches do the bilstein's have? the usual 5?
did you get the full thread engagement on the top?

if you answered yes to all questions and the springs a stock length, you'll need to drop the perches lower ...
smile.gif Andy
SGB
I would too.
(but I'm at knuckle scraping ride height).
kconway
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 21 2006, 08:23 PM) *

Did I goof this up?

did you zip-tie the top of the springs to make sure they're setaed correctly on the top?

if you answered yes to all questions and the springs a stock length, you'll need to drop the perches lower ...
smile.gif Andy

Haven't moved the car since.
I used a spring compressor and ensured the spring seated in the top and bottom OEM perch and top.
The springs are 140lb weltmeisters, considerably shorter than what I removed which was OEM.
I think there were 7 positions on the shock, I'm at the 3rd down.
I did get full thread engagement on the top.
swood
Post a pic of your set up so we can see. smile.gif I'm about to do the same and the instructions on the bils are lean at best.
DanT
How low do you want it to be?
I would go to the 4 from top.
Mine is set in the second from bottom.

you also need to roll the car forward or backwards a bit to let the suspension settle.

something must be misadjusted....your new springs must be the same length as my 180s
kconway
This is why I replaced the springs/shocks. Looked like the rear suspension was sagging. Now that I look at it, and compare to others, looks like maybe the front needed adjusting. However, the shocks were tired.
kconway
QUOTE(swood @ Nov 21 2006, 08:56 PM) *

Post a pic of your set up so we can see. smile.gif I'm about to do the same and the instructions on the bils are lean at best.

I took one look at those instructions and tossed them. Thought I'd read here that the perches should be set at 3 from the top. So thats what I did. I reused the original perches also, not the new Bilstein parts. Had to use a spring compressor I borrowed from FLAPS and went pretty well. Still haven't been able to get the drop links back on the swaybar or the shock bolt. Looking for a big C-clamp or channel locks to force it back on...after I redo the perch settings dry.gif
Andyrew
Car needs to settle. (like Andy said)

Take the car around the block, Test out your springs/shocks... Drive back in the garage, and post picture of how the car settled 2 in lower than original picture.. Then everyone will see..

fyi, the welts are shorter because they are stiffer.. 2x stiffer.. therefore they can be much shorter.. (takes 70lbs to compress 1 in, vs 140lbs to compress 1 inch... ie needs less spring to hold car up.)
lybones
QUOTE(kconway @ Nov 21 2006, 08:33 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 21 2006, 08:23 PM) *

Did I goof this up?

smile.gif Andy

Haven't moved the car since.
I used a spring compressor and ensured the spring seated in the top and bottom OEM perch and top.
The springs are 140lb weltmeisters, considerably shorter than what I removed which was OEM.
I think there were 7 positions on the shock, I'm at the 3rd down.
I did get full thread engagement on the top.

agree.gif , releasing the ebrake after and giver a go around the block. Should settle some. I also noticed that the front end is not far off from the back. "holy high water, Batman" blink.gif

I have #160 lbs progressive springs on bilsteins on the rear of my v8 teener, but didn't need spring compressors to intall them as these springs are shorter and wound up tighter than stock. Here's a pic on my setup.

On the positive side, it' s all adjustable!
sixnotfour
I reused the original perches also, not the new Bilstein parts.

you need to use the Bil. perches they have a groove for the snap ring to fit into and they are shorter.
see above picture
and on this thread shows the groove;
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&a...st&p=586356
kconway
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 22 2006, 01:08 AM) *

I reused the original perches also, not the new Bilstein parts.

you need to use the Bil. perches they have a groove for the snap ring to fit into and they are shorter.
see above picture
and on this thread shows the groove;
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&a...st&p=586356

Nope, the original perch was two pieces. A small ring that captured the snap ring and allowed the perch to seat and the perch itself. That snap ring isn't going anywhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.