Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the plating on the sail trim pieces?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
My trim pieces up the back of the sail and acrosss the top needs refinishing. I know it's not chrome. Anyone know exactly what to ask for? Is it a bright anodize? Clear? I was thinking of just polishing and clear coating but I don't think it will look original...
John
I'm pretty sure they are clear anodized.
736conver
They are bright dipped anodized
Eric_Shea
agree.gif (I think) biggrin.gif

It is anodized. Bright dip would probably be best. I think originally they were simply anodized. Bright dip is a fairly recent process in terms of the age of a 914. If you don't have an anodizer that does bright dip (and many don't), you would want to have it de-anodized then polished to a mirror finish, or as close as possible and then re-anodize them. I've done a ton of anodizing and I think that's what would net the desired result.
Allan
Not to hijacked.gif the thread but, mine have been painted over by the po and I want to return them to the shiny look.

Any ideas on how to remove the paint without damaging the anodizing?
PRS914-6
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, there are no shops that bright anodize in N. Calif. One shop I talked to said they can get a pretty good finish with just a mirror polish and anodize. Basically he said it yields a "dull shine" I'm going to take him a sample and see if he can match it. Don't know what else to do.....
736conver
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 22 2006, 01:59 PM) *

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, there are no shops that bright anodize in N. Calif. One shop I talked to said they can get a pretty good finish with just a mirror polish and anodize. Basically he said it yields a "dull shine" I'm going to take him a sample and see if he can match it. Don't know what else to do.....

Its hard to find shops that do the bright dip process. Last time I check its not even allowed here in WI.
Let us know how it turns out.
Eric_Shea
Paul, I bought new ones and that was the finish (dull shine) Bright will net you something almost like chrome.

Alan, the anodizer should be able to take that paint off with a quick acid dip. They better know what they're doing or they'll cook them but... it's fairly easy for the guy that's done a few. Just look for the bubbles to start to turn yellow and yank.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 22 2006, 01:05 PM) *

Paul, I bought new ones and that was the finish (dull shine) Bright will net you something almost like chrome.

Alan, the anodizer should be able to take that paint off with a quick acid dip. They better know what they're doing or they'll cook them but... it's fairly easy for the guy that's done a few. Just look for the bubbles to start to turn yellow and yank.

I priced new ones but unfortunately, the long one across the top is NLA. The sides were over $100 ea. I HATE installing trim thats not perfect on a new paint job.....
McMark
Brake cleaner should kill the paint and leave the anodizing. You can try thinner or acetone as well. Anodizing is pretty tough stuff. But, that being said, they probably painted over it for a reason and the anodizing is probably already shot underneath the paint. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.