Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WWWOT: Anyone have an english bulldog?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
just curious what your experience with the breed has been...

thanks beerchug.gif

n
Jenny
My brother has one. They are Uber expensive, due to the upper crest breed standard, and the difficult birth. Aside from that, they seem to be as user friendly as any other breed. My brother's dog Boomer is really hyper, but that isn't normal for the breed. Will you teach yours to skateboard??

Jen
jasons
We have always wanted one but they are $$$. I think you can expect spend between $2500 to $5000 depending on where you find one. I would research health stuff too. I think they may have some common health problems. A guy at my work got one from a breeder friend for like $1500 which is super deal for a bulldog.

We ended up adopting a retired greyhound. They are great dogs, I couldn't say enough good about them. She is really well tempered. Eager to please. Learns fast and listens well. Almost no shedding. And she is a racer! Our dog raced 100 races and finished 3rd or better in 50 of those.
iamchappy
Many health issues. Short lived.
tdgray
No cheek seals = major slobber unsure.gif
Bruce Allert
They are a cool dog with, as said above, many health issues. Just one for instance... you know all those folds they have around their face? Those are subject to being a source for possible infection if not kept clean on a weekly or everyother day washing. Not wash the whole dog, just those folds. If you don't they begin to smell. So it is necessary to use a Q-tip or some other means of cleaning. then there is their breathing problems caused by their smushed nose/nasal cavity....

Lastly, research breeders with the father & mothers medical histories along with their childrens med histories (xrays of hips & elbows too) and choose one that comes highly recommended by a bulldog club, either in your area or an area that has several breeders. Don't be afraid to go out of state. You're gonna pay more but you'll have a buddy that won't continue to have health & personality issues.

Good luck....

.......b beerchug.gif
tesserra
QUOTE(tdgray @ Nov 22 2006, 06:53 AM) *

No cheek seals = major slobber unsure.gif

We have Boxers and they are supposed to slobber, but ours don't.
Our breeder said none of her breed slobber.
Is it a breeder thing? Check with the dogs parents.
BTW We think an English Bulldog will be our next dog.

George
Steve Thacker

No matter what you feed them they will fart you out of a room. I promise...
Seriously this is a trait of the breed.
rhodyguy
and chronic ear problems (like a yeast infection) requiring regular medication, the inverted eyelids when the lashes rub on the eye (surgery, $$$$). the stature of the breed can make for hip, leg, and ankle issues (surgery$$$$), they snore like crazy. don't do well warm climates due to the shortend snout and related breathing issues. they fart like you wouldn't believe. when my dad passed, his dog came to live with us. sweet girl, but as stated, high maintenance. find yourself a sweet little mutt at you local shelter.

k
iamchappy
My EXmother inlaw is a breeder, My experience with these dogs is they are a real pain
to care for and I personally would never consider one for a family pet , especially with kids.(True about the Farting)

The little Pugs Qarl has are cute.

My Irish Water Spaniel is the best dog I've ever had, and thats hard for me to say because i grew up with many dogs in my house as a kid, and I have had a dog in my life always. Ive had 3 mixed breed Terriers, an Airedale, Doberman,German Shorthair, Golden Retriever, and my Irish Water Spaniel.
seanery
I've had one. I like it, he was a cool dog but there are quite a few downsides to them:

-short lived
-very high strung
-barfed a lot (regardless of diet)
-true the gas issues

but he was good to put a leash on and pull us on our longboard down the street.
Steve Thacker
Ditto on going to the pet rescue and get a mixed breed if possible.

You will be doing a huge favor for your local area shelter and give a little homeless furry kid a wonderful loving home.

Plus 99% of all mixed breeds live for a long time, they are smart as tacks and health is better than pure breed in most cases, etc.

Maybe we have a Dr. (Vet) in our club that can help you out on what breed is best
GeorgeRud
I've been a vet for the last 27 years, and there is no such thing as a best breed, only what you like and can care for. Personally, I'm a fan of the mixed breeds of intermediate size - kind of what mother nature had in mind when she was designing the dog. All the purebreeds have their specific problems, and we actually have books that list the problems that are common in various purebreeds to give us hints what to look for.

The English Bulldogs are neat dogs, but they are expensive to purchase and have several medical problems that cannot be totally corrected, hence they are expensive to maintain and often require constant medical attention. If I had more of these (or Sharpeis, Dalmations, etc.) in my practice, I'd be able to afford a 997 GT3.

Getting a puppy from the local animal shelter is one of the nicest and most cost effective way to do some good and give a deserving animal a fine home.

Enjoy your search.
GTeener
We've fostered dogs from the Furry Friends Rescue group.

I know they have a big litter of coon hound mix puppies and Lab/Terrier mix pups that need homes amongst others thumb3d.gif

http://www.furryfriendsrescue.org/animalindex.jsp?page=fp
Jenny
Get yourself a hound, Nathan! Goes with the pickup. Coon hounds are awesome!
GTeener
QUOTE(Jenny @ Nov 22 2006, 10:42 AM) *

The mom of the coon hound pups mix needed adopting too, if she hasn't been already confused24.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Jenny @ Nov 22 2006, 10:42 AM) *

Jenny is right Nathan.

"Hound" breeds happen to be my favorite as they are great family dogs.

The mother looks good as well.

Sammy
Oh man, seeing those pictures reminds me of puppy breath. Nothing better in the whole world.

My daughter wanted a dog so we picked one out from the local pound. Half dachsund, half who knows what.
Best dog I have ever been around. Affectionate to a fault, great personality, no barking, and he's as gentle as a lamb. If you get tired of petting him he'll lay on your feet just so you still know he's there.

Darn near a perfect dog if it wasn't for them 3" long legs wink.gif
mikelsr
QUOTE(Jenny @ Nov 22 2006, 12:42 PM) *

We raised and hunted with Redbones and Blueticks! I took my girlfriend (now my wife) out coon hunting but that is another story...
tat2dphreak
we had "blue lacys" and "black and tans"(talk about f'n slobber!) growing up... blue heelers are also great, smart dogs... we have had nothing but joy from owning them... my dad and I used to coon/fox hunt a lot when I was growing up...

a neighbor had a bulldog, it was a sweet dog, but would tear up everything in the f'n house! they tried everything to break that dog, no luck! it also shat the size of an amc hatchback...

GTeener
I'm a Bernese Mt Dog fan, personally biggrin.gif

But my dog's breeder has a bulldog, like all good Marines should, apparently.

http://www.triplebbernese.com/aboutUS.html
Katmanken
Oh goodie, a dog that cannot deliver puppies naturally...

That being said, I knew somebody that had one and his front quarters were so massive and his hind quarters so small that when he walked, his front legs dominated and his back legs and ass kinda wiggled and drug along behind.

Brutus wasn't the smartest dog, he would extend his tongue and forget it was out and then clamp his mouth shut on his tongue. When his tongue turned a really ugly dark purple from lack of circulation, you had to slap him up side the head to get him to unclamp his jaws, open his mouth and pull his tongue back in.

Cool dog none the less.

Ken
Bruce Allert
Sammy Posted Nov 22 2006, 11:50 AM
Oh man, seeing those pictures reminds me of puppy breath. Nothing better in the whole world.

agree.gif

Ya! Puppy breath wub.gif I gotta wait till next year for our new Corgi puppy. Jes luv dem lil thangs wub.gif

....b
byndbad914
My fiancee and I were just having this discussion... hmmm... more fire-power for my arsenal I guess. My fiancee LOVES bulldogs and really really wants to get one and I can't seem to convince her that Tyson is a cool dog, but that breed is known for issues like all the above mentioned. I am going to have to print this out and give to her.

I would rather have a lab myself biggrin.gif Seem to be pretty "sturdy" dogs if you know what I mean. And no snorting/slobbering and apparently less farting (WTF!? That is good enough for me to not get a bulldog!)
Sammy
It's hard to go wrong with a lab, if you have room for him to excersize and spend time with him.
I don't remember ever meeting a lab I didn't like, even if they do shed.

Bruce, I love corgis. my last dog was half corgi, half border collie (got em from the pound), very good dog but if I didn't give him something to do, he would find something to do on his own and chances were that I wouldn't like it wink.gif
As long as he had chores to do and a job he was happy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.