Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering rack...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Okay... I cleaned up the steering rack of years of goop and grime. I'd like to relube the inside of the rack. Has anyone done this?

What type of grease??? I know it's not good to mix different type of greases.

I imagine I should just add additional grease, rather than try and clean out what's inside with some sort of chemical. I'd hate to screw up some rubber o-rings or gaskets inside.

I think there is a spring on the backside of one of these plates...

Any pointers????

Thanks!
TimT
Karl, I did the rack rebuild a few years ago on my 911. I totally disassembled the unit, cleaned it all up.

That plate unbolts, then there is a spring and some sort of shim that bears against the rack, after you remove the plate/spring/shim you can remove the rack and clean it all up. I dont remember and rubber o-rings though.

I put it all back together using some nasty dinosaur shit moly grease to lube it.
Qarl
Okay, I figured it out. Cleaned it up a bit, repacked with LiquiMoly grease and lubed the rack Resealed the end plates too.
3d914
Karl,

Did you have to replace the rubber boots at each end? I'm looking at the same rebuild, but haven't found the rubber boots yet. burnout.gif

Thanks,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.