Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT -- Who had a Hotrod / cool car as a teenager
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
John
Just as the title asks:

Who had a cool car as a teenager (what was it) and how did you obtain it (did mom and dad buy it was it mom's or dad's car, did you save up for it, etc)???

I had a car, and it was OK, but a hotrod or cool car it was not.

Curious John wants to know....
messix
1975 chevy monza 2+2 with a 400hp 350 i built for it. did it in high school.
jwalters
biggrin.gif I obtained (from insurance money from previous not-at-falty accident) a Pristine 1967 Ford Fairlane 500 coupe. Maroone with 7X15 front and 9X15 steelie wheels, a Fred Jones built 289 backed with a B&M C-4 and Strange 9 inch rear with 3.90:1 gearing. Had airshocks on it with the back end jacked up for excellent weight transfer. Would do the 1/4 in 12.5 flat. For a 17 year old, those were the times!!!

NOT to mention smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif

<SIGH> Those-were-the-dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys

edit: Found these old pics! Cannot believe I still have them!!
turboman808
My first car was a triumph spitfire. Definetly not a hotrod but very pretty car. I only drove it about a year. Mechanical and electrical problems started to get real scary.
SirAndy
'74 super beetle, 2.0L T4 engine with FI, whale-tail, 245x45 on 8x15 and 285x40 on 9x15, full cage, recaro seats, front mounted oil cooler, tinted windows, tricked out suspension, 100lbs lead weight in the front trunk to keep it balanced ...

step-dad loaned me the money for it and i paid him back in monthly installments ...

that car was fun!
piratenanner.gif Andy
skline
The two most memorable cars for me in high school was my 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door with a 429 and my 1969 Camaro Rally Sport with a 327 and factory 4 speed. And of course, my beloved father bought them both for me. The Ford was $500.00 and the Camaro was $1500 and both had less than 50k on them when we got them.

I sure miss my dad sad.gif
Aaron Cox
i got a tired 73 2.0 for my 15th birthday.....

still have it.

AA
grantsfo
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 22 2006, 11:51 AM) *

i got a tired 73 2.0 for my 15th birthday.....

still have it.

AA

Does a 914 qualify as a cool car? biggrin.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 22 2006, 12:05 PM) *

Does a 914 qualify as a cool car? biggrin.gif

No I think we are the geeks of the car world.
Joe Ricard
Well not as a teenager. but bought a Porsche 928 @ 27 yrs old.

My son bought the 74 "cool Blue Teener" at 15.

mrhurtalot
hmm everyone at my school likes my 914.
so i wouldnt say it was geeky.

but yeah. mine would be the TEENER!
736conver
1970 Sport Satellite w/383

My second car. My dad found it in the paper for $2000.

Here's a pic, its not mine but it looks just like it.

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
i had a 59 edsel wagon with a 400 cube v8 LOL - sold it...
59 napco powerpack conversion chevy truck... sold it...

neither of those are cool LOL
Crazyhippy
240Z w/ a really healthy SBC... Black primered w/a hoop and door bars.

Ran around on slicks most of the time biggrin.gif

Car was bought for $100, i did all the work, and dad had a motor sitting around he let me use. trans was a junkyard find.... Loved that thing
majkos
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Nov 22 2006, 01:26 PM) *

hmm everyone at my school likes my 914.
so i wouldnt say it was geeky.

but yeah. mine would be the TEENER!

Lucky guy!

All I had was a VW Type III Suareback, wasn't fast,
but made up for the name, "Passion Wagon"

It wasn't cool, but hey! I could go anywhere (Ski area)wise,
great in snow.
jwalters
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Nov 22 2006, 04:00 PM) *

Car was bought for $100, i did all the work, and dad had a motor sitting around he let me use. trans was a junkyard find.... Loved that thing

Did ya think it kinda weird how a SBC fit right in??
mikelsr
I had a Purple '71 Dodge Charger R/T, 440 Magnum with a slap stick.

I bought it with the help of my wife and the U.S.A.F when I was 18 years old (in 1972).
Steve Thacker
I had a 47 Ford coupe in 76' that got trashed. So I bought a 68' Firebird HT with a 400 sb. Lasted me through graduation and then it was sold. Boy was I stupid to do that.
sniff sniff
effutuo101
My first car was a 1964 Ford Falcon Futura coup with a 260 V8. My dad punched it out and did flow work to the heads. It was very stock looking and ran like a raped ape. the two speed automatic was fun.
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 22 2006, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Nov 22 2006, 04:00 PM) *

Did ya think it kinda weird how a SBC fit right in??

Knew before i bought it... kinda like a 914... driving.gif burnout.gif
Brad Roberts
Duh.. my first car was a 71 Yellow and Black 914!! rockin a 1.7 at age 15.

It belonged to a neighbor. He had a hot daughter that I wanted to meet. She went to a different school. I walked up and knocked on the door and asked about the little car in the driveway that never moved. I knew dad had T4 engine parts and access to everything I needed if it didnt run.. Told my mom about the car and that the guy wanted $1200 for it. It ran but something was wrong with it (Nov. 1985) That Dec. for Christmas she gave a Porsche key fob with a Porsche key on it. She had bought it for me with her money and my lawn mowing money. I promptly pushed it up the street with some friends into our garage.

The next day I started the 914Club...LOL

B
kconway
I had a 1962 Cal style VW bug w/1911 and polished Fuch's...stolen from the driveway 6 months later. dry.gif Mom & Pop purchased as a HS grad gift @ age 17.

With the insurance settlement, I bought a 74 1.8 smile.gif
Scott S
I had a cool car - and I didn't even know it for 2+ years. I wanted an 83/84 GTI SOOOOOOO BAD, but that was in 83/84 and not even remotely in my price range. My dad was doing business over seas and decided to bring home a new body style 1985 Audi 5000 turbo. He called and said that the sales person had a very nice 1978 golf (Rabbit) that he would sell for 2200.00. I only had 1600, so pop fronted me the rest - however I was not allowed to to anything other than wash it until I finished paying him back.

I was a bit bummed when it arrived - it was a metallic light green, with a green interior. It had the 13" Scirocco wheels and what I thought at the time was a really dumb front spoiler - it was nothing like the GTI I wanted - even though some bone head had put a "Golf GTI" badge on the back and a silver "GTI" badge on the gill inbetween the old looking round headlights....

Yep, it was a 1.6l euro spec GTI. Unfortunately I found this out after I had installed the US spoiler/fender flairs and the 14" snowflake wheels.

Those dumb spoilers I removed were a-pillar fairings and the deep duck bill air dam. I will see if I can find a picture....

The carcas of the car still resides in a Durango CO junk yard (Mac's) after an unfortunate encouter into a ditch. Would love to have that car back.....
i love porsche
when i was 13 i got a 64 plymouth barracuda from a guy i knew who had it sitting in his driveway...i just had to mow his lawn for a year, it ran..but needed work...so i ended up selling it
Thorshammer

Had a couple in my early years. First one was a 1963 MG Midget, with a 12 a rotary and rx 7 five speed. Had problems with rear ends, but fixed that with the Mazda rear end. Used 13 inch dirt track tires cause they were soft enough. it was a rubber bouncy ball Raced a 427 cobra from 0-100-0 and lost by about 10 feet.

Then a 68 VW Bug with a type four rabbit rod 75x103 with 48 idas. I left ALL the chrome on and ran some 7 inch wide rear wheels. We used to get 215 65 15'sused off of Camaros from the Goodyear tire store pile. Worked well after you heated em up.

Then came the teener 2.0 appearance group. crashed in the left front, two tone primer, put in the 75x103 motor but with 44 idfs, and off to the races we went. Would run with a five liter Mustang back in the day.

Erik Madsen
BMITCHELL

First car was a 1928 model A coupe with the top cut off. Had a 324 old's
engine with a dual range hydro. I was 17 and paid $200 for it in 1963,
had to push it down the street from a friends house. I belonged to a car club but did not have a car and had to have it. My dad was really pissed at me for buying it. Got it running and took it to the first day at school without my parents knowledge. Got a ticket for just about everything. No horn, fenders, etc. was 2 pages long. Dad took away my license for six months. Live and learn.
Pat Garvey
I was a Mopar guy. Because the family "gave" me the 1960 4-door Dodge, with a push button trans & a 318. I won't even go into the things I did to that "beer wagon".

Traded it for a '65 Dodge Dart, owned by the son of the Cincinnati Sheriff. Small block V8 (273 cubes) & a 4 speed (rare in '65). Had t bored out to 309 ci, balanced, shot peened & equipped w/Edelbrock dual quad manifold, headers, dual quad AFB's (forget the CFM's), blue streaks & slicks on the street.

Ran mid-13's & got 4 mpg (positive linkage). Ugliest car I've ever owned.

I'd kill to get it back!
rick 918-S
My first car was a fire orange with a black top 1958 Lincoln Capri. It had a 430 ci. motor. I got in a race with a 1970 Mustang once. We were side by side as we crested a hill. All of a sudden there was a cop standing in the middle of the of the road directing traffic into a side street for a vehicle safety check! We were doing like freaking 90 + ! He dove out of the road. When I looking in the rear view mirror He was standing up shaking his fist at us and yelling like he was about to have a coronary! I sold that car very soon after.

Next I bought a 1970 candy apple red Ford Ranchero GT with all the GT stuff including the strobe stripe, mat black shaker hood, hidden head lights. There was a spacer block between the from lower ball joint and the spindle to Lift the front gasser style, Crager SS wheels and N50/15's on the rear, and yes... the 429!

The photos aren't mine but close.
914-8
I had a very cool car as a 16 year old.

A Willow Green 914!
So.Cal.914
1967 GTO 400ci HO

Restored my 1955 VW and traded straight across.
Katmanken
1967 Karmann Ghia convertible with an engine that Jake would have been proud of.

Somebody hit and totaled my bug with the rolled and pleated interior, and my Dad and I found this car at a lot in Pompano Florida. It ran like shit as we left the lot, and once we got a few blocks away, I did a jiffy tune on the carb with my knife. That sucker smoothed out and drove pretty good. Detuned the carb before driving back on the lot and offered $500 for the crappy running car.

A new carb, a decent tuneup, a header, and I had a 16-18mpg lumpy idle torque monster that would lay rubber in two gears. Once the engine was sorted out, I had to put in a new LUK 200mm transporter extra hevy duty clutch to handle the torque.

Rev it up to 1800RPM, pop the clutch, and it was like getting rearended by a runaway semi. Car would shudder, loose lids would clang, the frame would flex, the stickshift would slam forward about 3 inches and richochet off the dash, the tires would be spinning and it would just leap forward.

Yup, quite a car. Those convertibles have a low CG and handle pretty well.

Ken
GaroldShaffer
In 1984 my 1976 Nova Concourse was totaled by a old lady that ran a redlight. My dad took the insurance money and bought me a 1975 Vega GT. I wasn't to happy until dad told me (not in front of my mother either) that it had a small blcok chevy with a 9 inch ford read end and traction bars. He paid $800 for it, was told engine had a bad oil leak. I was going to school at ITT tech in Ft Wayne and I also worked for the school in the tool crib for the auto shop class (I was in the EE program). I drove the car the 2 1/2 hours from my parents to the school, next day brought it in and put it on the rack. The "bad oil leak" was caused by a missing oil pan gasket, put in a new gasket no more oil leak. clap56.gif

The car had a automatic trans, it was a blass to drive down RT 30 and punch the gass going 65 MPH and have the tires smoke burnout.gif

I have a picture here somewhere.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

At 15 i bought a 1934 Ford 2 door sedan, old flat head had frozen and cracked the block. Out it came in went a new flat head ,Offie.heads,duel stromberg carbs ,Belond headers. hydraulic brakes, chopped 3 inches. this took about a yr.
Loved that car, more than life it self was the coolest car at school. Got me layed the first time.
Sold it 3 yrs later( dumest move I ever made) it was around this part of the country for the next 30 yrs. or so. If i ever find it I will buy it back ,but small chance of that. Oh well I can dream. Dave slap.gif
914Sixer
In 1970 I got to Germany via the US Army for the 3rd time (my dad was a lifer). I purchased a 67 911S. For the next year I got to try the autobahn out to the max. I went to Nuremburg Ring 3 times. Fast times
TimT
First car was a 58 Beetle,

Second car was a 66 Mustang

Third was a 70 911T

first at 16

second at 17

third at 18

Ive had 911s ever since,

got the 914 in 2002

and a bunch of trucks for daily drivers

current 2003 F250 PSD
jd74914
My first car was the 914 that I'm almost finished restoring now laugh.gif I bought it when I was 15 and started working on it (well, at that point working was a relative term). The real rush started last January when we finished our monster garage. I rebuilt everything on the car within 5 months and did almost all of the rough body work just so I could show it for my senior project. I ended up working on the thing for 6, 7, 8 hours a day to get close to completion

The kicker was that the rebuilt engine was just put back in 3 days before I had to show it, and it was first just run 5 minutes before the ride to school. I hadn't had time to put the muffler on so it was deafening to rev, but she somehow started about 3 dozen times during my demonstration. I take that as a testimate to VW engineering.

Anyways, I finished all of the bodywork and now she gets painted this spring.

Now I get to move onto my second major project . . . the restoration of a 1950 Ford F-1 shortbed that was rodded in the 50s with a 1953 Olds 303. In the late 70s my dad added a 4 speed F-6 (IIRC) dump truck transmission because he kept killing stock ones. I can't wait, but that all comes when finals are over in mid-December.
iamchappy
My first car was a Red 1961 Austin Mini Cooper, my second was a Copper with white racing stripes up the middle 1968 390 AMX(this was a fast car in stock form) it was faster than my brothers 69 SS396 Nova from a rolling start. The Nova's best 1/4 time was 12.29 but if we had a 30mph start I must of caught him between gears because I could jump out a couple of car lengths and he could never catch up I cant tell you how many do overs we tried. My third was a new 1973 Phoenix red 2.0 914.
bernbomb914
I just attended my 55th highschool reunion last weekend. so my cars were a differant generation from most of you kids. I had 36 differant fords during highschool some very cool ( yellow 36 conv with a carson top)some As with v/8 60's but the nicest one was a 32 roadster that turned 147 MPH at the dry lakes and 105 in the 1/4 mile on gas. these were all flat head v/8s it those days.

Bernie
GWN7
First car I owned was a 65 Pontiac StratoChief 4 door 283 auto. I bought it because it had a bench seat for going to the drive-in with the gf. wink.gif

The second was a 62 Falcon wagon that came with a 6 standard. I put a 289/271 hp with a C4 trans and a 8 1/2" rearend. Hooker headers. Painted it Caddy Blue and tinted the windows Blue. Sold it to neibour when I bought my first 68 Camaro. He forgot to put anitfreeze in it and the block cracked. I bought it back and stripped the parts off it. Some I still have.
a.mistak914
I bought a Tangerine 2.0 Liter a little over a year ago and am now putting a 3.0 liter in it. People at my high school love it!
PORobinSCHE
a couple of [ictures of my later toys. i had a 65 MG Midget and a 68 Triumph TR250 in high school. sorry camera weren't invented yet,back then type.gif
J P Stein
I went to work in the shipyard at the tender age of 19 still carless.
After 6 months at a buck.96 per hour, I'd saved enuff for a black 58 Chebbie Impala.
Pretty mofo....
Bout a year-18 mos later I felt the need for speed & got me a 62 409SS, 4 speed, dual carbs, Positraction....just like the song. It's been down hill ever since.
Lou W
My first car was 1958 Corvette, I found it behind a gas station in Azusa, it had been in an accident, no body from the firewall forward, the PO pulled the engine and put it in a Willy's jeep. I was 14 at the time and paid $90.00 for it. I held down three jobs to pay for the rebuild, worked at a drive-thru dairy, cleanup at a local baseball field and construction on the weekend with my dad. My dad and I spent 2 1/2 years putting it back together. I wouldn't have given that experience up for anything in the world.

My second car was a 1970 Chevelle SS454, that I bought when I was a senior in High School.

I sure wish I had both of them now. dry.gif
snflupigus
stepdad sold the 65 mustang when i was 14! though I'd been waiting for it. it was originally for my step sister but she couldnt drive it.. too short.

1987 thunderbird turbo Coupe... bought for me. Sweet car I only knew after I sold it what its potential was.

Then a 92 camaro... 250 a month. sophmore-junior year then mom paid it off for graduation. sold it when i moved to az. kicked myself for doing it and bought another.
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Nov 22 2006, 10:44 AM) *

Just as the title asks:

Who had a cool car as a teenager (what was it) and how did you obtain it (did mom and dad buy it was it mom's or dad's car, did you save up for it, etc)???

I had a car, and it was OK, but a hotrod or cool car it was not.

Curious John wants to know....

My first ride was my brother's old 58 chevy..I guess now I'm trying to catch up
where I never had an opportunity smile.gif
whatabout1
During my HS years (68 -70) I had 2 beetles and 1 VW van.
!!! They were cheap, parts were cheap !!!! Worked a couple
jobs to pay for them. Gas station, sweeping out box cars,
polishing corvette door handles......

But my mom had a '65 mustang conv, 6 banger, lame.
Boy did it get the girls. Got into allot of trouble in that car.
Right up to the point where I had to choose between moving
out or going to military school for my senior year.

I hopped in the van and moved to Vail !!!
dflesburg
I had no childhood.

I don't remember anything before September 26, 2000.

Thanks to alcohol that is. Thanks to my higher power I havent forgotten anything since September 26, 2000.
shoguneagle
I am with the Bernbomb914 on having classic cars during high school. This was the era of 1934 Forde Coupes (yes, all original including the hub caps, rumble seat, suicide doors, etc.) going for $50.00 running in the junk yard. This is also the true junk yard era. I had a 1940 Ford 4-door sedan and 1942 Plymouth coupe (nosed, decked, cateyes,laquer paint) powered by a flat head six with 50 thousandths taper in the cylinders. It was so fast that a stock Volks Beetle could beat me.

We had junk available, no money, facilities to mod cars hard to find, telephone poles and trees for straightening out fenders, etc. Boy!!! Those were fun years!!

Years: 1955 to 1959 in Lake County, California

Left for college and the military in 1959, and never saw them again. It appears my older brother sold them while I was away in the 1960's.
914rrr
1969 Buick Riviera, 430 4bbl, 3:23 Posi rear end, 360 HP and 475 ft/lbs torque (bone stock). Top speed around 120, tested far too often. wink.gif Bad-ass mofo sleeper. driving.gif burnout.gif Only (nearly) stock car that would keep up was a Monte Carlo with a 454.

Factory 8 track, stereo was 'front to back' instead of left to right. Led Zep 'Whole Lotta Love' long version sounded pretty cool like that. Aerosmith first album too.

Hand me down from my dad.

My younger sister was driving it one night (I was in the back smoke.gif drunk.gif ). She totally embarassed a Z-28 Camaro off 3 light in a row (Riviera posi launched while the Camaro was spinnin'). Then the passengers in the Camaro started riding the driver... 'you're getting dusted by a chick!... in her mom's car!!!! bootyshake.gif

We didn't tell dad that story until somewhat recently... rolleyes.gif
szuccaro
Click to view attachmentI drove my brother's '66 mustang until my senior year in HS, when my Dad brought this home. Still have it 25 years later. Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.