Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to clean tranny case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
When I redo my tranny... I want my tranny nice and clean and purty...

What's the best/safest way to clean the magnesium case?

Okay, I understand that the magnesium will oxidize and get dull/dingy...

So, how can I keep it looking purty?

Thanks!
Bleyseng
Brake cleaner............

Geoff
Andyrew
Sand blast it, then powder coat it and put a layer of wax on it every 100 miles..

Just kidding!

wink.gif

The purple engine de greaser if you have grease on it, and then buy a case of brake cleaner for the small stuff, I dont know..

Andrew
boxstr
You could tape it off and plug it well enough that you could have it walnut shell blasted or media blasted, I don't know if your cabinet is large enough, might have to farm this out, then have it powder coated. Or give it a good blast of Wurth silver paint, and maybe a clear coat.
I assume that it is completely apart, all gears and shafts out??
Check some of the Hot Rod mags, those cars are all painted top to bottom.
CCLINHOTRODHEAVEN
Kargeek
As a one time concours weenie, I can understand. You are building a giant model car with all the detail. I bead blasted mine and it held up well for quite a few years. I guess you could seal the case with a clear coat however, I would think that maybe the case would discolor over time. Dave H
Joe Bob
Blast it....fix it ....park it......

Everything leaks, given time.....just ask gramps and gramma.... blink.gif
Joe Bob
BTW....Craig...yer Avatar reminds me of Richard Nixon.....if I was sober and gave a crap I would be offended...... bootyshake.gif

Just stirring the pot....love ya..... pray.gif
Downunderman
HPC SO2 inside and out. Only prob is that its black.
Brad Roberts
Yep. bead blast it. WEVO has all of their 915's done this way and they turn out awesome (granted that is aluminum 915's) but the results will be similar.

I think Howard may be onto something with his HPC idea. I may try it.

B
redshift
Once it's clean, all you need to do is hit it with a nasty citrus degreaser occasionally.

That stuff can be potent.

M
rhodyguy
tarnex and q-tips. leave the lube out and put the car in one of those inflatable car bubbles.

kevin
Mueller
anyone ever try CO2 blasting on an engine or transmission case? this would seem to be better than any other type of blasting since there would be no worries of the media lurking around if you didn't clean the case well enough.

I would think that with CO2 blasting, one could keep the engine or transmission intact and not have to have it 100% disassembled.
davep
First remove the vent and plug with a wheel bolt. I have the transmission shops clean mine, but a power washer with a good solvent will work. Blast it a paint it if you wish, I would. Then replace all the seals. Clean the vent separately. You do know the way the vent hole should face don't you?

DaveP
need4speed
I don't think you want to paint or clear-coat your transaxle.

Heat dissipation on the transaxle isn't a critical thing - otherwise, it'd be covered with fins like the engine case. But it's not insignificant, and bare metal dissipates heat better than anything you could coat the bare metal with. (other than more bare metal, with fins).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.