Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ouch!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
OK, survived the streets of Willow and numerous canyon dancing events without a scratch. But parking lots are another thing, especially when a pit racer in a pickup truck misses a turn (in the parking lot, for God's sake!) and nails my baby.

He's insured, full of apologies, but need some parts that I feel local body shop may have problem getting. Will need a hood and brackets, left side headlight assy, and bumper. Current bumper is f'glass, and think I would like to get a f'glass hood.

Got parts? I'm in SoCal. Opinions of f'glass hoods?
Brad Roberts
Ah man.. this sucks. Sorry to see that happen. You would think somebody at the track participating would have a little more awareness than your average soccer mom.. I guess not. Welcome to the POC..LOL

I think now would be a great time to buy the fiberglass hood. Getty design in Riverside released a replica GT fiberglass hood wit the balsa wood supports a month or so ago. Buy from them.

B
redshift
Ouch buddy! Sorry to see that happen!

M
Howard
Brad and Redshift, thanks for the concern. Didn't happen at the track, was at my office p'lot. Guess I just use the term pit racer to apply to anyone who drives fast when they shouldn't.

Anyway, good lead on the hood, as they make the hood and the bumper. Brad, know you're in the business, order through you or just go direct? And still need a left headlight assy. Got one sitting around?

Again, after 5 months of owning a 914 and joining this club. Good car, great club. Nice to have the support.
machina
sorry about that howard, sucks but at least damage is not too bad.

Just wondering, do you think the damage would have extended to the hood and headlight assembly if you had the steel bumpers? Something I've thought about while contemplating switching mine over to fg.

get well soon,
dr
Howard
Bigger bumpers would have helped some, but note how far he went up the hood. Believe real issue is difference in ride height. Just about tore the whole bumper assy off his Ranger pickup.

Just glad there was no real speed involved. Any more and I would have been testing the integrity of my roll cage... he was aimed at my head!
Brad Roberts
Howard,

Right now I cant handle the requests coming in sooo.. to stay out of trouble with people I tell them to buy direct. My wholesale price isnt worth the time that it would take me to call/order/drop ship/invoice you.

I appreciate the thought. One day soon I will be able to stock some of this and ship same day. Right now we are trying to get "unburied" at the shop.

B
andys
All,

I'm in need of a hood as well, along with the small trim piece (what is this called?) just ahead of the headlight door. The hood I prefer stock, and I suspect it'd be best to buy at a swap meet; is that a reasonable expectation? How about that trim piece; where might I get one of those? I'm also in SoCal.

Andy
Howard
Andy,

Found both. email billywhitesides@aol.com for your needs.

Howard
campbellcj
I hope I'm not out of place in passing this along, but FYI Neil at Getty recently indicated to me that he can give a very attractive "cash and carry" price for lids and other stuff if you pick up in person; plus obviously you save the shipping as well which is approx $70/lid from his place to our neck of the woods. I won't repeat the price he quoted me on a carbon fiber lid, but it was a nice discount. I have heard their parts are very good quality too, compared to some of the schlocky fiberglass being sold out there...

Unfortunately I'm scraping the edges of the piggy bank for a $15K home improvement project wub.gif at the moment, so my 914 budget is beyind SHOT for a while... but I plan to slap some more carbon & f/g on the car by next spring.
campbellcj
Oh yeah, Getty is in Santa Ana so not a bad drive to save some Ben Franklins, and get your parts quicker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.