Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hotrodders, I need your help and advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomkirkcis
I need to bounce my situation off some of you guys for your advise. I have a 1970 914-6. It was a California chassis and has ZERO rust, and no evidence of any collision damage. Great chaiss. The chassis has been stiffened with both the factory GT style stiffening kit and Engman chassis kits Although it does not have a cage or tube reinforcement the tub is very stiff. The trailing arms are boxed. It has a 901 NON limited slip sideshifter. I presently have stock calipers, konis and tend to use mild springing (140 lb rears) on threaded perches and adjustable sways set on the stiff side to deal with the perfectly smooth NOT backroads in New England.The roads are great sports car venues but ROUGH. The car has stock appearing fiberglass bumbers lid and has had the sound deadienng stripped, so it is fairly light. I was told the original 2.0/6 failed under warranty and the dealer installed a 2.2 T motor as the replacement. The car sits on 205R50's on deep 6 x 15 Fuchs on all four corners.

With that said, The car is driven for recreation on the street . I haven't recently but may resume a PCA drivers ed or two a year. I do not auto x anymore. The car does not have flares and appears stock.

The 2.2T ran very strong for a 2.2T, But it was a bastard non original motor, so whats would be the harm in looking for a LITTLE more horsepower. I was thinking along the lines of a 2.4S, 2.7RS or 3.0SC motor

A freind of mine happened to have an engine sitting on the shelf that I have lusted after for years. Timing is everything and I now own a 3.2 short stroke rsr type motor with ALL the tricks . Twin plug, 11:1 compression Mahles, GE60 cams, ported and polished big valve heads, 46 webers etc . When I drove his 911 with this engine it pulled like crazy to, and revs past 8000 rpm with ease. The bark is absolutely incredible.

Although I love 914 GT s, I do not want to install flares. I like being a sleeper.I have ruined the ego of many a young gearhead thinking the 914 was an easy victim when it just had the 2.2 in it.

I would like to try R spec 7"s on all corners and a very slight roll to install more rubber. I would have the rear rotors changed to vented and just wident eh 914/6 calipers with spacers. (need the Handbrake for inspection sticker) I would change fron struts to 3.5 inch spacing and use a set of alumium S calipers I have. I would prefer not to change the springing to much because of the condition of the roads here. I would use the side shifter gingerly until I found an appropriate 915 or g50 with lsd. I would need to think about a remote cooler(s) that would hopefully not cause the stock look to disappear.

Does anyone have experience with 300hp motors in the type of chassis I am thinking of? Would it be drivable with a stock look chassis or Am I kidding myself?.

I welcome recomedations/ comments on the brakes, suspension gear box choice, ratios, wheels and tire fitment. The headers from my 2.2 are obviousoly not going to work, any thoughts. Thank you

VaccaRabite
Hey Tom,

Lots of info on this on the board, just do a little searching. Several members have put 3+ litre plants in thier 914. I think that all of them have done flares though. I'd be worried about not having enough grip. You may also want to look into a beefier tranny.

You are in a great position for this. You already have all the conversion stuff done for you. Go for it.

Zach
jim912928
Tom...cool engine you have! I'm just in the process (collecting final parts) of stuffing a 3.2l carrera engine in mine. Mine will also look like a sleeper although I've already done a 5-lug conversion with boxster 16" rims. I am going to update the brakes with 84 carrera's all around (also going to do the e-brake conversion). I've been told the original 6 heat exchangers will work..you'll just loose some performance (don't know for sure if it was on the high or low end). I've been watching several threads on aftermarket units with heat but it seems like there is doubt on one of the vendors (I think B&B) heat capabilities and the other (GHL I think) hasn't been commented on.

I'm also contemplating going to a 915 with a WEVO kit. Again, plenty of opinion on if the 901 is ok or not. I kindof like the gear ratio's for highway driving with the mated 915 I have.

I'll also be watching for all the good opinions on tranny/heat exchangers etc.

Sixes rock!
LvSteveH
That's a great motor, and I think 300hp sounds about right. It won't however have the torque of a 3.6L, so I really think you should give a nice stock trans a try before going to anything bigger. If you beat on it you can break a 901, 915 or even a G50 given enough motivation. You could do a 904 mainshaft with custom gearing for improved gear splits.

You'll be surprised how well good tires on 7" rims will stick. I'd suggest you stay with an open diff that will also provide a little extra protection for the trans and save you $1500 at the same time.

I'm running 350 hp and at least as much torque through a regeared 901 and you can drive it plenty hard without it turning into dust. You'll want to avoid lots of power in first gear, it's too short to use anyway, so you'll probably start out in 2nd, especially if you go with a lower 2nd via the 904 main shaft. It's a very stout setup, and as long as dumping the clutch at 4000 rpm's or more isn't your style, it should be fine. A $400 billet intermediate plate isn't a bad idea either.
tomkirkcis
[I would love to be able to run the 901. The shifter is all worked out, and drag race starts are not my style. In regard to LSD, should I look for a used factory unit or should I buy new. Is the unit from Guard well thought of? I will not be auto x so I am thinking lsd instead of a Quafe. Any recommendations on gear sets for this type of motor?If I did use the intermiate plate, what is the area of failure. Is it a slow death and I switch out boxes and transfer the trick parts or is it more like a hand gernade type failure and I risk damaging a lsd and expensive shaft?

I know this motor was originally built with Carrera 6 cams and the past owner installed the ge60 for more autox tourque. The motor runs greats and pulls very very well at high rpm but I have always owned early S's and enjoy screamers. I would think the 906 cams might produce more hp and would create less tourque?. Would this be smart with a 901 gear box? Is the ge60 just the product of more modern engineering and just a better cam and I would be stupid to switch it out??

I was also thinking 7"s should be enough rim. I do have a set of deep sixes that can be widened to R spec and look correct period on the car, but I was hearing tire manufactures are abandoning good tires in 15" diameter. I have done no research and do not know if this indeed a trend or false rumor. I had not thought of but do appreciate the comment on the gearing of small diameter wheels and saving the gearbox. Is the r offset necessary to try and keep stock wheel openings or could I buy later cheaper standard offset Fuchs in either 15 or 16. What year 7 x 16 are you guys running. Are they all the same offset or would I need to hunt down a certain application? Are the 205's the max you are fitting in the narrow chassis.

Any comments on the springing. Does high horsepoer create any bad side effects with a realatively soft suspended 914?

I truly appreciate your feedback. tom

LvSteveH
Everyone has an opinion, but I'd try it without the limited slip first. In street applications it can cause sketchy handling on uneven surfaces and it will add more stress to the trans. There's not a lot of torque at low rpm's, so as long as you have good tires on 7's you should be fine. Stock fenders can be mildly stretched to fit 225's which allow a pretty stealthy look and a little more tire. If you want to stay under totally stock fenders 205's are the best bet, but with custom offset wheels 225's may still make it.

I'd leave the GE60's in, it's a good carb cam. I've never actually killed a 901 myself, but I think most failures wouldn't hurt the rest of the box. The intermediate plate will help prevent deflection of the pinion and help keep proper alignment under heavy loads if I recall correctly.

Was the motor built on an early turbo or euro carrera case? If so it should have the 6 bolt crank and you can use the stock 914-6/early 911 flywheel.

Going with the 904 mainshaft would allow a little lower 2nd gear which should be perfect to start out in. First is still handy for parking and putting the car on a trailer, so I have no idea why some people block it off.
Cap'n Krusty
"R spec 7s"? I hope you have a LOT of money. I've seen them go for $6K a set. The Cap'n
propricer
Had a stock bodied 914-6 that I modified with a 2.8L running GE80's and the stock 40's for good low end pump. Installed a front oil cooler and 930 front brakes with a 19 ( or 23 ) mm master.

Stock gearbox and mostly stock suspension - adjustable front.

Engine was between 260 and 280 HP and I never met a car that could beat it on the street - a Ninja 900 finally whupped me one cold night !!!

The funnest car I ever owned ... until I built my 914-8 which is faster, cheaper and, quite frankly, more fun - but I can't run Porsche events.

If I were to do it again, I would go 2.7, maybe 3.0 but no bigger - gets to be a bit ridiculous !!!

Good luck with it ... Ed

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.