Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: check out my crack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
Cylinder head crack that is.

Is this the fatal exhaust valve to port crack?
mightyohm
closer
mightyohm
the usual spark plug hole cracks.
mightyohm
The other cylinder on this head has the same exhaust port crack.

Are these heads too far gone, or can this be fixed?

Oh, and another thing. See the ridge inside the combustion chamber around the outside edge? That's not a head gasket or a shim. It's in the shape of the combustion chamber!
mightyohm
Head
redshift
I have had ones that appeared to be worse fixed, I am no expert on the matter bny any means.

M
Brad Roberts
Yep. I touched his crack. Hopefully The Jakester will see this and comment.

B
john rogers
I had much worse on my stroker motor and they were repaired. You need a shop that can heat the aluminum, then match the metal composition of the casting and then releive all welding stresses so that when all is finished you can't even tell it was repaired.
Red-Beard
I know Motorwerks can do it in San Diego, but then you don't live here any more...

cool_shades.gif
skline
I had a set that was way worse than those. The PO had run the car for about a year with a blown head gasket. It destryed the head but Rimco fixed it. The cylinder wall had eroded away so you can imagine what the head looked like. When I got it back from Rimco, you could not even tell.
mightyohm
I'm hoping Jake will comment too. I know that sometimes cracks into the exhaust port can't be fixed because of limited access into the port.

PS: Yes, Brad touched my crack. And it was good.
Britain Smith
I am going to the guy at the machine shop in San Jose today and I can make reference to the size of your crack to him if you would like. He can weld Aluminum and I know he repairs 912/356 Heads with cracks in them. As for the spark plug cracks, he fixed those on my heads.

-Britain
mightyohm
I don't have dimensions, but as you can see it extends from the valve all the way to the edge of the combustion chamber. I don't know if it is showing through on the exhaust side.
Britain Smith
I just talked with Jay...the machine shop in San Jose...and he said he can fix the crack when re-doing the heads for an additional $75 per cylinder that is cracked.

-Britain
mightyohm
Britain - That sounds good. I'd like to have Jay take a look at them. Are you going back again anytime soon?
Britain Smith
I will go down there to pick up some stuff on Friday...PM me offline and we can working something out.

-Britain
Brad Roberts
Keyzer,

I may want to lump your heads in with the 4-5 2.0 sets I currently have for the machine shop. This may yield a slightly lower cost for having all of them done at the same time.

B
Britain Smith
And they can all get done within a reasonable time frame.

-Britain

Let me know how many people are going to get in on this and I will let Jay know so he can pre-plan.
anthony
Brad, when are the heads going to the machine shop? I got set I'd like to get done.
Brad Roberts
I have two more engines to pull apart this weekend. I would like to send them to the machine shop at the end of next week.

B
r_towle
This one seemed to need a pic to go along with the title.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.