Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
The PO of my teener had been quoted a price for a turn-key 6 conversion from Motor Meister. Had he not sold it to someone, he was going to go that route. The quote is for the choice of either a 2.4 911S or 2.7Rs engine. Parts came to $7995, labor to about $3200.

That's out of my price range for the foreseeable future, and at this point I'm not even sure that I want to go the Six route. BUT, that quote left me with a few questions:

1. What do folks on the board think about those price numbers? Like I said, I'd be looking for turn-key, I'm no where near the point of being able to tackle something like this myself.

2. I've heard a lot of souls on this board with only or mostly negative things to say about Motor Meister (did I read that they use used/reconditioned parts)? Anyone who has experience with MM care to chime in?

3. Let's say MM is not the way to go....and this is the main part of my question ~ what other options are out there?

That's a lot, I know. But it seems like everyone likes to talk about Sixes (except maybe the Big-4-only crowd), so I thought I might get some good feedback.

Thanks, and happy T-Day!! beer3.gif chowtime.gif beer3.gif
McMark
I hope this can stay on topic....

The prices seem about right. See Rotten Robby's bumblebee thread in the Cars for Sale forum for pictures of what comes out of MM.

Joe O'Brien (Series9) and I are doing conversions. IIRC, rootwerks is doing them as well.
brant
I would certainly rather have a conversion done by Mark, Brian, or Dan than compaired to MM. I think the MM price is actually a little bit cheap, but that depends upon what they are actually doing, how they are doing it, and the if that really includes any motor work or customer supplied motor.

most spend 10K doing the full job without labor.

add shop labor and any motor work, and that price is deflated.
(I'd expect MM to find "hidden" costs if you actually tried to have the job done..)

boxstr
If you are up north stop in at CAMP 914. I have a 2.2 6 motor and trans from a six conversion, It is plug and play. Rich Johnson mount, Factory oil tank.
You can take the car up to Dan or I can for gas and time.
CCLINICOULDHAVEA6
Thorshammer

I would strongly recommend you DO NOT DO ANY business with motor Schyster (Thanks Eric!) Having just gone through a complete screw show with a customer, They are not: reputable, professional, reliable or responsible. There are certain magazines that will not take their ads because they do not want to be associated with them.

Anyone but Motor Schyster. If I had the time, I would start a class action suit on their ass. But I can only warn you. DON'T DO IT.

If you lived near me, I would love to do it. But you are on the wrong coast, or I am.

Erik
pete-stevers
Dan root is a great guy to do the job....but he will be booked until early january
Joe Bob
I've done a few.....I have an open bay.

Oh and MM? Do a search here and over on Pelicans' BBS. They are NOT a recommended facility. They use REALLY used parts and have been known to swap engines cases, carbs and other stuff for their crappy rebuilds.

I have a friend that has one of their motors and he beats the crap out of it.....a nice little 2.2 that he tracks...it's the ONLY happy story I've ever heard.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Thorshammer @ Nov 23 2006, 08:27 PM) *

I would strongly recommend you DO NOT DO ANY business with motor Schyster

agree.gif

do a search here for some insights on MM ...
icon8.gif Andy
Krieger
driving.gif You should consider someone elses done conversion. It could possibly be a better deal.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 23 2006, 06:55 PM) *

I think the MM price is actually a little bit cheap, but that depends upon what they are actually doing, how they are doing it, and the if that really includes any motor work or customer supplied motor.

Turns out the quote I have is straight-off their website. As far as parts go, here's what they list: http://www.motormeister.com/suz/914_6/914_6engines_2.htm

Thanks all for the advice on MM, I'm going to heed it and look elsewhere when the time is right.
brant
at 10K they can't afford to do a correct engine rebuild and conversion.
the rebuild alone should run 5K if its done correctly.

Lavanaut
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 23 2006, 12:45 PM) *

Joe O'Brien (Series9) and I are doing conversions. IIRC, rootwerks is doing them as well.

Where are you guys located? idea.gif "rootwerks" turned up nada on Google, can you point me somewhere that I can learn more?

Thanks
SLITS
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 27 2006, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 23 2006, 12:45 PM) *

Where are you guys located? idea.gif "rootwerks" turned up nada on Google, can you point me somewhere that I can learn more?

Thanks

Joe O'Brien is in Rio Rancho, NM

McMark is in NorCal

Dan Root is up Seattle way.

Not sure if Craig (Boxstr) is doing them but he is in Boregon.
McMark
I'm in NorCal, Joe is in New Mexico, rootwerks is north of Seattle.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 27 2006, 12:24 PM) *

I'm in NorCal, Joe is in New Mexico, rootwerks is north of Seattle.

Thanks guys.

NorCal's pretty big...are we talking Bay Area or Weed? smile.gif Reason I ask is that's I'm in CentrO (that's Central Oregon, and no, nobody actually says that up here) and one of the cost considerations will be getting the car to/from where I have the conversion done. If it's north enough, I'd just drive it down there.
Aaron Cox
Mcmark does some good work - ask sirandy about his project....
Joe O does some nice work... seen his 914RS and its very nicely executed.., he did mike wills 3.2 and that was nicely done as well.
Dan Root... PM headrage, as he has a dan root converted car..... for his thoughts on it
McMark
Napa, CA. At the northernmost tip of the bay. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 27 2006, 12:31 PM) *

Mcmark does some good work - ask sirandy about his project....

where else can you show up on a sunday and do some grinding and welding on your car while McMark tries to set a original 914-6 trannsmission on fire in the room next door!

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif ohmy.gif Andy
MoveQik
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 27 2006, 01:31 PM) *

Joe O does some nice work... seen his 914RS and its very nicely executed.., he did mike wills 3.2 and that was nicely done as well.

I'll vouch for him and recommend him. My car turned out great and nowadays I'm nothing but biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Series9
Thanks guys.

I have room for another project, but the shipping is significant on this one.

Aaron Cox
plane ticket and i will drive it there smile.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Series9 @ Dec 4 2006, 11:43 PM) *

Thanks guys.

I have room for another project, but the shipping is significant on this one.

PM Sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.