Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lots of Newbie/FAQ type things I know....Introduction too
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kona Cruisers
Howsit from hawaii....

First, I used to post on I think Renegade Forum Back in like 97-98.. I lived in alaska and looked for a project for 2 ears and never found one.

ME, 26 almost married, Owner of a auto restoration shop here in Kona hawaii on the big island. Currently have a stable of some cherry FJ40 landcruisers and a honda for the Old lady.

I just scored a 75 1.8 the has a LIGHT hit on the front and will require a pull on the frame machine, But will not require any paint!!! Wierd but if you saw how this got damaged you'll understand. Other then that its cherry. Sweet exterior, sweet interior runs great literly will take 2 hours to fix.. Traded the car for a complete paint on a 66 Karman Ghia.. This isnt My first venture in to Aircooled as I Have owned a couple of Vdubs.. and will be building a Myers Manx playboy edition after the teener.

I tried searching for the following and didnt turn up much.. well much usefull stuff. (Turbo 1.8 got me a W/C Vw swap.. Turbo was mostly brake swaps....)

Ok here are my first round of questions...

Turboing a 1.8... good / bad ?? Design? so on...

Me =6'4+" cant shift leg in the way... Smaller steering wheel correct? thinking I might have to go down to a 320mm but didnt see much 350mms 320mm info

Retard qustions to most.. Type 1 Vw engine work?? or does it have to be the type 3 block with the front mount or??? ( I ask cuase I have a 2110 with IDAs.....)

Way to nice of a body to hack for flares into... BUT I want some ...

This is probally more for the old lady to drive but will be MY car Iif the makes any sence. (well Im paying for it.. but have about 40+K in land cruiser stuff so letting her drive a Porsche kinda gets me some bonus... and hopefully she'll look the other way when I get My 356 C Coupe...)

As a Personal thing... Huge OSU football fan.. GO buckeyes!!

I know useless with out pics but will post some up this weekend when I pick up the car!
Mueller
welcome.png

Me and my family was in Kona in early Sept for a week boldblue.gif ...

There is a FAQ at the very top of the page as well as other good links....

JoeSharp
welcome.png
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
JPB
welcome.png

E mafai ona ave ma au Kodac?
John Kelly
"Way to nice of a body to hack for flares into... BUT I want some ... "

Everybody knows you can't flare a 914 smile.gif

John www.ghaspecialties.com
Trevorg7
welcome.png

Now, off to the golf course.

T
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Kona Cruisers @ Nov 23 2006, 11:35 PM) *

ME, 26 almost married, Owner of a auto restoration shop here in Kona hawaii on the big island.

Schweet! Maybe I can stop by over the holidays... smile.gif

Turboing a 1.8... good / bad ?? Design? so on...

Could be good or bad. The real problem is that there is no kit--your setup would be a one-off, and you'd be doing a lot of the engineering on the fly. That's half the fun for some people, but if that's not what you want...

Me =6'4+" cant shift leg in the way... Smaller steering wheel correct? thinking I might have to go down to a 320mm but didnt see much 350mms 320mm info

There are aftermarket wheels that fit. I believe you can get Momo and Grant hubs for the 914 steering column.

Type 1 Vw engine work?? or does it have to be the type 3 block with the front mount or??? ( I ask cuase I have a 2110 with IDAs.....)

The 914 engine is actually a VW Type IV, not I or II or III. The Type I based engine (even a Type III!) will not work without quite a bit of custom fab work.

Way to nice of a body to hack for flares into... BUT I want some ...

You can "roll" the fenders out to fit wider tires, if that's your goal. You can also section them and pull them out; that's been done a number of times. The GT flares are the default, of course...

Good luck with the car!

--DD
So.Cal.914
Aloha and welcome.png
Pat Garvey
I once was one of those who said this couldn't be done without blowing out the bottom end of the motor. Autocrossed against a turbod 914 at a Parade once (& I am NOT a very good auto-x'er & whipped him by several seconds.

But...take a look at Excellence mag, June 2002. Appears this CAN be done. Have spoken with the current owner of this car, who has made additonal changes to the turbo (Audi 5000S) & has driven it for several years (hard) with zero significant problems. Unfortunately, you pretty much need an engineering degree to make this work efficiently.

Cool car too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.