Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Need caliper half seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HAM Inc
Please don't tell me I shouldn't have seperated the caliper halves, because in this case they had to be seperated for a proper rebuild. And it's a good thing I did because a couple of them were torn. Does anyone know where I can get these little o-rings?

I need them for the 4 banger fronts.
brant
be careful...
I sorta remember that they are a special material, not suspeptable to brake fluid (so don't just go to a flaps and find something close)

years ago, I custom ordered them from Stoddard.
they weren't that expense.
but I'm guessing that our own fantabulous eric shea may have some to sell you also.

brant
jim912928
I was able to obtain them from GPR (www.gprparts.com).

Jim
JFJ914
Dealer, 901 351 928 10
HAM Inc
Thanks John!
Brett W
I know this sounds Ghetto, but back in the day I just took them apart and reused the old o-rings, put a little red RTV on the two halves and bolted it back together.

Yeah, I know, don't jump my shit, it worked, didn't leak and I daily drove the m for years after that. Plus you could probably use valve stem o-rings from a water cooled engine. They will be as resistant to brake fluid as the factory o-rings.
davep
They were also a VW part 311 something. I have the number at home. I wiped out VW Canada some years back. For a good pal who has done my cylinder heads I can send you some if you want. Just let me know.
Krieger
How about club member Eric Shea? I know hes got the rear seal kits.
HAM Inc
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the offer. I'll try Stoddard and if they don't have them I might just take you up on your offer.
davep
That is fine. Let us know if Stoddard has them. I have lots since I keep all the old ones from the calipers I rebuild. I have re-used them without problems for 25 years, and have never seen one I would not re-use. I still have a bunch of new ones also.
JFJ914
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 24 2006, 01:08 PM) *

They were also a VW part 311 something. I have the number at home. I wiped out VW Canada some years back. For a good pal who has done my cylinder heads I can send you some if you want. Just let me know.

PET says that they are NLA, I guess you got em al!
Joe Ricard
I can gather up a couple too. just need an address.
ChrisFoley
I think I got some from AA once.
Eric_Shea
If this is the HAM Inc. I think, I will put the seals in the box that is shipping tomorrow (I wink) wink.gif

Eeeeeeeee-out
HAM Inc
Eric I got the seals, thanks! (BTW the hubs look great! I appreciate the great deal on the great work!)
The seals you sent have a round shoulder, while the O.E. seals were sq. will that be an issue? I don't have any of the old seals as they are with my dad (he's building the calipers for me) but IIRC the o.e. seals were a larger diameter as well. Am I mistaken? They're for the front calipers off a 914-4
I appreciate everyone's input.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.