Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Winter Car Search Continues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw
I don't know about you guys, but I am really enjoying throwing out random cars and seeing your reactions. Good stuff. So far I've thrown out:

73 VW Thing
73 Mercedes 280

...and now I will offer up a 1987 BMW 535. 111K miles and looks to be in good overall shape with all the goodies. Auto but whatever...

1400 or BO. Found it while I am home in upstate ny.

Its in a parking lot (with a little sign) for a high end auto sales place. 70K austin healys and stuff you buy out of a warehouse, you wouldn't know what it is unless you were going there.

thoughts? anybody own one of these bimmers....Always thought they were cool. I'm sure they cost a fortune to repair.
JPB
Bimmers aren't to bad but if you want a real winter beater with multiple functions as well as a hell of alot of fun for them snowed in days I'd get a K5. Had a 90 Scottsdale and wish I had another one. wink.gif
bd1308
dealership repairs are enormous for those things, at least they were when my family owned them. my dad had a 7-series and before that they had a 5-series.

Very expensive maintence schedule....
PORobinSCHE
i am trying to find a 6 series BMW coupe.....you could buy my 944 to help my quest aktion035.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Two words: Audi Quattro. Pull Detroit iron out of snowbanks. Lots of 'em in the NE, great club with awesome trackdays, many in what you'd call inclement weather. Good online support. Too bad you're so far away, I have one for sale. The Cap'n
sww914
That thing's really gonna cost you. There aren't very many cheap parts on a BMW, and there's LOOOTTTSSS of parts on one. I looked at a diagram of a BMW front bumper, and it was something like 85 parts and a same year Accord was like 18 parts. BMW's are like that everywhere on the car, lots of parts, lots of parts to break.
A really good winter beater is a Subaru. AWD, ugly, kind of fun to drive, especially if you like jumping off of snowbanks.
smj
My PCA DEs back East went forward in light snowfall and heavy rain, so... All depends on your definition of "inclement" and what region you're running with.

My early '85 944 was great in snow with a set of Blizzaks fitted. If you can't get a real Quattro or recent models, my mechanic in MA always warned me off of the other 5000-era models. Just hearsay, but YMMV.
ArtechnikA
Not for nothing are those cars called "Big Mistake in Winter."
Get a Subaru and be done with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.