Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JB914's V8 Progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB 914
Well i sold the engine in my V8 today to QSL914 (Mike) at least i know it's going to a good home and now i can put this bad boy into my V8 Car.

327 small journal crank
beer can heads
should be ~325HP and high rev

most of this motor was purchased from Big Doug in Cypress who mostly lurks on the club. The rest was funded by my good friends at the poker table.

So, i'll be pulling the motor out in the next few weeks and hauling the carcass off to paint to make it purtee. biggrin.gif

Thanks thanks for the purchase Mike! and good luck with your project. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
i saw that at Johns shop...

nice stuff!
v8 car painted yet?
JB 914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 24 2006, 04:30 PM) *

i saw that at Johns shop...

nice stuff!
v8 car painted yet?

nope, now it will wait till i pull the motor out. Richard has been helping me sort out the stromberg mess with the 4 banger.

Once i pull the motor out i'll have it towed to the paint shop and be done with that fuglyness. barf.gif

At least if i have a put it in BBQ for the V8 we it won't turn into a tear down party. dry.gif
Aaron Cox
very cool!

BTW - how ya been? havent run into you for a year+!!

how are the wife and kids? the boat?

happy holidays Joe
AA
JB 914
too much work and not enough play for me. Wife and kids are all doing good. wanted to come to Joe Sharps for the toy run, but, just had too much other crap going on...

we need to have a Double Joe BBQ with some beer can chicken and pork.

mmmmmmmmm
marks914
327, very nice choice. Should be a good fit for the car.

I am currently building a SBC 302, I was going to do a 327 but I came across a large journal 3" stroke crank.

Mark
dakotaewing
QUOTE(marks914 @ Nov 24 2006, 07:15 PM) *

I am currently building a SBC 302, I was going to do a 327 but I came across a large journal 3" stroke crank.

Mark

hijacked.gif

Mark -
What pistons, heads, and cam are you using ???
marks914
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Nov 24 2006, 06:55 PM) *

Mark

hijacked.gif

Mark -

I am using these pistons:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

-6.5cc dome should ie me 9.6:1 CR with 67cc iron heads. (camel hump style)

I am not sure on the cam yet, I usually use a "marine" grind because of the flatter torque curve.

Mark
dakotaewing
QUOTE(marks914 @ Nov 24 2006, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Nov 24 2006, 06:55 PM) *

Mark

hijacked.gif

Mark -

I am using these pistons:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

-6.5cc dome should ie me 9.6:1 CR with 67cc iron heads. (camel hump style)

I am not sure on the cam yet, I usually use a "marine" grind because of the flatter torque curve.

Mark

Mark,
I am using these pistons : http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

I am using a 76cc 441 head, but I am concerned about having a dog of a motor, based on compression numbers - It should be close to the same compression #'s you have -
The picture shown of the piston is not accurate ...

JB - Sorry to hijack your thread....
Twystd1
I have been inside that particular engine whilst it was being built by others.

It has also spent hours on a spintron to check out clearences of all of the reciprocating assembly as well as checking oil flow from the bearings and pushrods.

It was spot on.........

Nice engine Joe.

C
messix
i've been dreaming lately of a 320cid, 3" stroke in a 400 block or a 353 3.25 stroke in a 400 block.
small displacement, slow piston speeds, large bore for nicely unshrouded valves, light weight roller valve train, should be quite a screamer with modest torque.
wouldn't have to go with really big dollar short block as per the piston speeds would be much lower than a 3.48 stroke. i'm thinking a 7-8k spinner would be very do'able with this.
Twystd1
While we are on the subject.

Does anybody here have a read of why no one uses an Aurora, quad cam, all aluminum engine for one of these conversions?

Is it engine width or something I don't know about?

I would think it is the perfect engine for a conversion.

I haven't done any homework on this swap.

I was just thinking it has the best of all the worlds. EFI, high HP VS weight. And their cheap.

Anyone have a heads up for me?

C
messix
the transverse engines have things hanging off the engine in weird places, coolant connections, water pumps, ingintion, and the engine mounts aren't swap friendly, they use the 60 degree v6 bell housing.
Twystd1
Thanks Troy....

I always wondered about that....

So I know this guy with a NEW, real authentic ZR1 cammer complete engine with EFI in his stash....
He paid 2500.00 bucks for it new from GM when they dumped all of their ZR1 inventory.

Makes a man wonder.........

Don't it......

OK, dream sequence finished. He ain't gunna give that engine up...

C
messix
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Nov 24 2006, 11:56 PM) *

Thanks Troy....

I always wondered about that....

So I know this guy with a NEW, real authentic ZR1 cammer complete engine with EFI in his stash....
He paid 2500.00 bucks for it new from GM when they dumped all of their ZR1 inventory.

Makes a man wonder.........

Don't it......

OK, dream sequence finished. He ain't gunna give that engine up...

C

he'll make a nice little profit on that deal.

uhm street rod...naw been done. zr1 teener.... yeehaw. ditch the stock ecm and go after market. those engines with stock hard parts are good for 500hp + easy. lingenfelter was getting that by tweaking the ecm.
Twystd1
It's just a really sick thought....

"ZR1 Teener"

If I were only rich and bit dumber than I am now.................

That would be so dam kewl it almost hurts.

C
messix
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Nov 25 2006, 12:12 AM) *

"ZR1 Teener"

If I were only rich and bit dumber than I am now.................

C

it just might out bling the "Alien"!

sorry for the hyjack.
Type 4 Unleashed
Hey Joe read up on this post:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=37181

So you can get rid of that setup you have.

Just a suggestion happy11.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Nov 25 2006, 12:12 AM) *

"ZR1 Teener"

If I were only rich and bit dumber than I am now................."

C

popcorn[1].gif happy11.gif
JoeSharp
QUOTE(JB 914 @ Nov 24 2006, 04:54 PM) *

too much work and not enough play for me. Wife and kids are all doing good. wanted to come to Joe Sharps for the toy run, but, just had too much other crap going on...

mmmmmmmmm

I'm up for that....
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
JB 914
QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Nov 25 2006, 01:27 AM) *

Hey Joe read up on this post:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=37181

So you can get rid of that setup you have.

Just a suggestion happy11.gif

chair.gif

I will finish my project as is.....

JB 914
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Nov 25 2006, 06:57 AM) *

QUOTE(JB 914 @ Nov 24 2006, 04:54 PM) *

mmmmmmmmm

I'm up for that....
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

Hmmmmm....... jsharp.gif chowtime.gif drooley.gif

we should plan it once i get a firm date the car will be painted and back here. should know that before the end of the year.
JoeSharp
agree.gif
JB 914
Boy time flies when you are too busy working dry.gif

I am making progress.

since i started this thread i have successfully removed the old engine, sold it, helped load it and wave goodbye bye1.gif

had to get different headers to accomdate the angle plugs. had to wait to get them ceramic coated.

Got an HEI dist., w new Accel spark plugs, taylor wires, 11" K & N Xtreme Air filter

Skline keeps promising me to loan me his clutch alignment tool. he came by yesterday. he drooley.gif chowtime.gif popcorn[1].gif chatsmiley.gif smoke.gif burger.gif wavey.gif

hey Scott......bring by the tool poke.gif poke.gif poke.gif

all i need to do to put the motor in is have a second body to help me torque a few bolts and put the tranny on

JB 914
The new engine is installed. boldblue.gif

has a few issues with the tranny mounts, but, THOMAS was great and fabricated some custom adapters.

gotta get the exhaust next. My headers were different, so, i can't use the original exhaust.

I just need to get that and finish attaching all the hoses. Then i can break in the cam.

skline
I see you mention me in one of your posts as coming over to help during my busy schedule but in your last post, all I see is that you got it installed. Who came and helped you? Not even a mention? I see where I rate now. mad.gif headbang.gif
JB 914
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 7 2007, 11:20 PM) *

I see you mention me in one of your posts as coming over to help during my busy schedule but in your last post, all I see is that you got it installed. Who came and helped you? Not even a mention? I see where I rate now. mad.gif headbang.gif

Jesus, lighten up Francis. I emailed you for the pictures you took of the engine, so, i could add to the post.

JB 914
thanks to Skline aka Francis for the pics poke.gif

Click to view attachment
skline
I was just raggin on ya, poke.gif I need some time off work so I can get some rest and maybe get some work done on cars here. Doing a 5 lug front for a member here and working on mine when I can too. I am just a little on edge right now. Hopefully soon, everything will be back to normal. yellowsleep[1].gif
JB 914
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 8 2007, 11:25 AM) *

I was just raggin on ya, poke.gif I need some time off work so I can get some rest and maybe get some work done on cars here. Doing a 5 lug front for a member here and working on mine when I can too. I am just a little on edge right now. Hopefully soon, everything will be back to normal. yellowsleep[1].gif

Scott,

Switch to decaf. biggrin.gif beer3.gif

if not i'm taking you to neverland for a few puffs on the pipe. smoke.gif
Aaron Cox
Try cocaine off a chicks tits...... works great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.